What's new

Horrible PSD4 Experience

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Last night I had some reading to do for a class that I am taking and after a couple of really long days I retire the garage, books in hand, coffee and what I was anticipating to be an excellent stick.

The pre-light aroma and taste of barnyard and musk aroused my smoking senses. This nicely wrapped beauty from 10-07 was calling me to let loose of my cares and indulge.

So, off with its head and torch to the foot and it lit like a charm and that my friends was the only positive thing I can say about this dud.

Oh, it started out with promise, a little grassy taste with some earth for the first few puffs. Then it started to tunnel, and it went out a couple of times while not once displaying any of its pedigree.

Not wanting to give up, I purged the stick, sparked it up and bleh, I cannot begin to tell you how disappointing this stick was.

At least I got the reading done.

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've had all different vintages of this cigar and none have showed me anything. We are in the minority, BUT i suspect you just got a bad stick. Try another before coming to a defintive conclusion. PSP2's, though, are amazing!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I'll join that minority!

Never been too impressed with the quality or flavor profile of the PSD4.

Lusi's are nice, and the Serie D #3 from 01 are really nice.

My 2 cents

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Blasphemy, horrible psd4 experiences don't exist :stretchgr

Jokes aside, I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience as I personally love these cigars, I highly suggest you give this another shot or five before you come to a ruling here

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've yet to have a "blow me away" experience with a PSD4. I haven't had that many, but still. As MiamiE says, the PSP2's on the other hand have been awesome for me.

Your description of the smoke sounds like construction problems, try a few more before you swear off of them.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
It's funny, when I first started smoking cigars, I thought PSD4's were God's personal gift to my tastebuds - but nowadays I find them a bit mild for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I'll still smoke and enjoy the hell out of them, they're just not the first thing I reach for anymore.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have a PS2 that I may spark up tomorrow. It's just that based on that experience the next 10 or so sticks may have to be my tried and true staples. Like the Padron 46th I nub'd with a couple of bottles of Sam Adams.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Surprising...

I have yet to have a bad psd4... Not liking the flavor profile, I can understand, cause it doesn't float everyone's boats. But my experience has been that it's one of the most consistent smokes out there.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad one.

Fauzi

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've gone through two boxes of Partagas Serie D No. 4s. Out of those, I've had about 5 duds. Constant burn problems, relights, tunnelling, etc... All of the others were fine.

In fact, I just smoked one with a friend of mine to celebrate his first child. As a novice cigar smoker, he absolutely loved the PSD4.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Sounds like construction problems. I know these are hit or miss when they're young. They need some serious nap time to be enjoyed....imho.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Can't say I've had a horrible D4, but the only impressive ones I ever had were from 94 & 96. Not a cigar I buy any longer. Not thrilled with the P2 either. In fact, outside of the 08 Lusis, the only Partagas I really like & seek out are discontinued- TPCs, Coronas & Lonsdales. Shorts are good, but as long as my TPCs last, I'd much rather smoke them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has indicated that indeed they are a "chancey" cigar. My feeling is that QC in Cuba is a neglected tool of industry. But I also know that when you chance upon a good D4 ....wow! It is a great smoke!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You know, I have trouble believing that the issue with the D4 is really a QC issue. There are a number of cigars like this in the Cuban catalogue and they don't all come from the same factory and there are other cigars that will come through the same manufacturing process (factory) and be plenty reliable. It makes me wonder if certain blends are just really, really touchy and either easy to mis-blend by just the smallest bit or are easily thrown off by the variences in production of leaves year to year. If any of that makes any sense, lol.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I have had a number of PSD4s and never "fell in love," despite variety of ages and times of day smoked.

Trini, RASS, and CoRo, while not a love story every time, these cigars spoke to me in ways that the D4 has YET to do!