What's new

How about a beer with that cigar?

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Unfortunately, with greatness comes scarcity. Most of those beers are impossible to find unless you REALLY know your way around the market. I would probably donate one of my appendages for a chance to try that Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The normal Breakfast Stout is phenomenal...
I am trying to get my hands on a bottle of "Pliny the Younger". I heard somewhere that they will only bottle it for you if you visit the pub. I don't know if that is true or not.

11.0%ABV, 1.098 O.G, GOBS of BUs
Pliny the Younger was Pliny the Elder's nephew, in the case of this beer, the "Younger" is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times.
Seasonal release (February) available at the pub and for distribution.

I have found "Pliny the Elder" online at K&L Wines

K&L Wines seems to have a great online selection

http://www.klwines.com/default.asp

They have "Pliny the Elder" $4.30 per bottle

"Pliny the Elder" is a Double IPA
8.0%ABV, 1.071 O.G
Gold Medal, 2006 World Beer Cup (Double IPA Category)
Gold Medal, 2005 GABF (Double IPA Category)
Bronze Medal, 2004 GABF (Double IPA Category)

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
as I type, I'm having a Dogfish head Palo Santo Marron with a Tat Artista. Going well together
That is one my top 5 favorite beers, I'm been drinking it since it came out, it's tough to beat a damn good beer at 12% alc by vol.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm having a Dogfish head Palo Santo Marron with a Tat Artista.
Well that one seems to be popular. I will have to give it a try this week.

Here is a random review of the "Palo Santo Marron" from someone calling herself "brewgirl" from San Diego:

Palo Santo Marron 12% ABV - American Brown Ale

Appearance: I had saved a few bottles of this from 2008 and opened one over the weekend. It poured a very dark brown/black, slightly veiled, with a reddish tint when held to the light.

Aroma: very complex aroma with hints of caramel, vanilla, raisins, with a nutty, woodsy smell.

Flavor: Similar to the aroma, very complex. Tons of dark malty flavors up front and as it warmed the woodsy character and vanilla, dried fruits, and molasses came out more. The alcohol was more mellow than when I tried it a year ago (in a pleasant way).

Mouthfeel/Finish: Full bodied with a lingering alcohol warming.

Drinkability: For the high alcohol, I thought this beer was easy to drink and I enjoyed the complexity of flavors and aroma. I thought the palo santo wood added a depth of flavor that was very intriguing.

------------------- Sounds interesting :smokingme

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Well that one seems to be popular. I will have to give it a try this week.

Here is a random review of the "Palo Santo Marron" from someone calling herself "brewgirl" from San Diego:

Palo Santo Marron 12% ABV - American Brown Ale

Appearance: I had saved a few bottles of this from 2008 and opened one over the weekend. It poured a very dark brown/black, slightly veiled, with a reddish tint when held to the light.

Aroma: very complex aroma with hints of caramel, vanilla, raisins, with a nutty, woodsy smell.

Flavor: Similar to the aroma, very complex. Tons of dark malty flavors up front and as it warmed the woodsy character and vanilla, dried fruits, and molasses came out more. The alcohol was more mellow than when I tried it a year ago (in a pleasant way).

Mouthfeel/Finish: Full bodied with a lingering alcohol warming.

Drinkability: For the high alcohol, I thought this beer was easy to drink and I enjoyed the complexity of flavors and aroma. I thought the palo santo wood added a depth of flavor that was very intriguing.

------------------- Sounds interesting :smokingme

I had my first one last night. It was rather tasty. I drank that first drink from my mug and was like, "WOW". Nothing like I had ever tasted. I could taste the vanilla and caramel up front. I really could not tell that there was any more alcohol. I will try the 90 IPA tonight.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
If anyone would like one of the highest rated beers in the world (Possible the #1 beer in the world) here is a website where you can get it.

It is called Trappist Westvleteren 12°

"This beer is one the hardest genuine Trappist beers to find!
Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a thick biege head. Aroma is a bit sweet with fruit and caramel. Really nice full and chewy mouthfeel. Raisins, brown sugar, dark fruits, alcohol, and caramel are right upfront. Nice lingering aftertaste. There's a lot to sink your teeth into, so to speak. A really complex beer that wants you to ask for more". - BelgianShop

Trappist Westvleteren 12° $35.00 per bottle

BelgiaShop.com

Get at least two bottles - One to taste now and one to age a year or more. Aging beer should always be stored upright in a cool, dark place. Strong beers (High Alcohol) like barleywines, tripels and dark ales should be stored 55°-60°F. All other beers should be kept around 50°. Long term refrigeration is not recommended, but once chilled the beer should remain chilled.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Has any one tried the 2009 Double Bastard 22oz, 10.5% ABV, only $6.99. They have been brewing this, I think, since 2001. They are holding two bottles for me to age. I may pick up a bottle to try as well. Ranked #65 on Beer Advocate. It is suppose to be excellent.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I still haven't gotten over the awesomeness of "The Abyss" I have been drinking. I tried a second bottle yesterday and have determined it is my new all time favorite, barely beating out "The Angel's Share" which will remain a very very close second fav. They are two very different beers. I tend to like the flavors of Stout over Ales, so those preferring Strong American Ales over Imperial Stouts may disagree with me and still prefer "The Angel's Share" in a comparison. Either way both "The Abyss" and "The Angel's Share" a are a "must try".

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Today I had a Special Limit Release from Nectar Ales out of Paso Robles, CA called Black Xantus 11% ABV.

Look: very dark brown, no head during pour, small head as it sits.

Smell: Floral hops, roasted malts, vanilla, wood, dark fruits, cocoa, molasses, coffee and a subtle whiskey presence.

Taste: chocolate, malt, espresso, bitter hops, vanilla, plum and figs. Also some light oak and bourbon flavors from the barrels. Full body is well carbonated. Nice silky feel, light and smooth.

Another excellent Imperial Stout. I give an A and will add it to my current list of favorites.

I also bought 2 bottles of Trader Joe's 2009 Vintage Ale for $4.99 per 750ml bottle. It is a Dark Ale on Lees and picked up my 3 bottles of Double Bastard discribed above plus a nice selection of stoogies: Illusione MJ-12, Tatuaje J21 Reserve and Tatuaje Cojonu 2006 LTD

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The Abyss is a great beer! I have one bottle left of the 2007. Hard not to drink it. I was also fortunate enough to go to the Lost Abbey brewery for their Angels Share release about 2 years ago, still have a couple bottles. They have some good beer! Alesmith Speedway Stout is pretty tasty and if anyone enjoys Belgium beer, I highly recommend St. Bernardus. Great thread btw!

Last edited:

MP.

Doesn't buy Altadis
Rating - 96.2%
37   1   0
I pretty much only drink beer when I smoke cigars. Being from Michigan, I have plenty of great local brewers (Bells, Founders, many other smaller ones) but I will get some from outside of the enchanted mitten from time to time. I have a few in my fridge that I'm really looking forward to.

Oude Gueuze
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/636/1710

Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Life & Limb (Bought 1 to drink 1 to age)
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/54089

Founders Backwoods Bastard
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036

I would probably donate one of my appendages for a chance to try that Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The normal Breakfast Stout is phenomenal...
You're in luck! KBS is normally a spring release. You should be able to find it in a few months.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Unfortunately, with greatness comes scarcity. Most of those beers are impossible to find unless you REALLY know your way around the market. I would probably donate one of my appendages for a chance to try that Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The normal Breakfast Stout is phenomenal...
Here is a Founders Breakfast Stout

I have not been able to find their Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Rouge dead guy goes exceptionally well with a bolivar belicoso finos...

I went to a Beer seminar at University of Penn a while back. The lecture was given by the guy who runs Home Sweet Home-Brew, and the girl who runs Sly Fox Brewery. At the Q and A I asked him why you see plenty of cigar malts but no Beer aimed at cigar smokers. Stumped him.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Here is a Founders Breakfast Stout

I have not been able to find their Kentucky Breakfast Stout.
Founders is an interesting stout. Good flavor, but incredibly thick. I can't drink more than one. Stocked up on Bell's Exhibition Stout, a seasonal that is currently available. One of my favorites. For something not quite as strong but still decent alcohol content, Dragon Stout from Jamaica is nice.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Chicory Stout by Dogfish Head

A dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. Brewed with whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggles hops, the grains include pale, roasted & oatmeal.

Chicory is one of the first beers we started brewing when the brewpub opened back in 1995. That's back when we had a teeny, tiny brewing system and had to brew all day, every day to keep up the bar stocked. Brewing with the same four ingredients got real boring, real fast. That's when Sam's ADD kicked in and he started adding some non-traditional brewing ingredeints.

Chicory Stout is our winter seasonal and released in bottles each year in the November/December timeframe. We do brew this beer in smaller, draft-only batches for our brewpub throughout the year.

It is roasty and delicious. It is also a fantastic food beer and pairs very well with chocolate!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKRWw6b_na4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKRWw6b_na4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Original Release Date: 07/1995

Food Pairing Recommendations: Grilled chicken, BBQ, shellfish, sushi, smoked fish and yes ... chocolate!

Glassware Recommendation: Pint

Tasting Notes: Creamy, roasty, peppery, dry & chocolatey

Wine Comparable: Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went to a wing spot to watch the play off games last saturday and drank about 8 cups of Blue Moon.... Thats my favorite beer right now.. Im getting thursty just thinking about it