What's new

how do you dress for cold weather?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i like those socks Gibble.... i'm assuming the outer gear they're giving us will suffice. got my moisture-wicking base layer from polyprothermals.com. i'll start looking for a fleece layer. and better socks.

the machines we're riding have heated seats and grips. that should help a bit.

thanks for the input guys. i can't imagine -11 as 'balmy!!'

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
High of -3 here today.

My attire for walking to class was:
-boxers
-basketball shorts
-heavy jeans
-long sleeve thermal
-cold weather designed Nike hoodie
-gigantic, extremely warm jacket with the fur-lined hood up
-hat
-gloves

20 minute walk, I was still a little cold by the time I got there. Might have to pick up some more flannel lines pants, and some better gloves.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Generally like I do for any other time of year, except, I wear a heavy coat. Once in a while, if I'm dressed nicer, I will wear a scarf. Obviously, I wear shorts less often, but, especially when I've been to the gym, I still don them.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Mostly good advice here. The key is layering properly, as mentioned above. I didn't read every post, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned a very simple rule. If you are planning on being active, you need to dress properly for the level of activity. Simply put, if you go outside and stand still for a few minutes and you're nice and toasty warm, you are wearing too much. If you go outside and walk at a brisk pace (not a stroll, but a walk intended to get you somewhere quickly without running) for 10 minutes and you are uncomfortably cold, you are wearing too litte. Wear something to keep the wind off of your bare face, take some Carmex for your lips, and if it is sunny outside, tinted eye protection is mandatory to prevent snowblindness.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, it s been relatively mild here kn NE NJ this year. Still when I'm working an overnight shift and I'm outside all night in 25 degree weather with the wind blowing, its f'ing cold. This is what I do:
Most important is to layer up with materials that wicker, you dont want your sweat to freeze, that would blow. You want a nice pair of insulated boots, I have Sorels and I love them, I also wear foot pikers underneath a good pair of wigwam below freezing socks. A long Johns union suit is my base layer, over that ill wear a pair of lined pants. On top ill wear a wind shell and or a flannel. Then my huge snorkel winter coat. Finish it with a pair of wind.resistant gloves and a wind proof face mask and your golden warm. This stays true when I'm working except everything is replaced with my fire retardent clothing bc I have to and my coat is replaced with my insulated coverall. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sweating isn't always an option it was -35 here yesterday and I was working outside with my guys and everyone of us was sweating. Biggest key for that is if you start sweating do not stop that activity till you can go in and warm up and dry off.

Also it is amazing how fast you can adjust to the weather. Today is only -11F and feels almost balmy.
I live in the same city, and yeah it was cold this week. It is funny how 30 F last week felt cold, until this week. Today was like Gibble said, it felt balmy with the sun at full force heh. I work outside a lot as well and can't get away from being in the cold as it's my job to get heat back to buildings that need it...can't just tell them it's too cold to fix their no heat situation :cursing: I have found for years that you really do need to keep the wind off your skin, it will take the heat off your skin fast. Good gloves make a huge difference, along with a nice set of footwear. You can wear all the socks you want, but once those crappy boots start getting cold, your socks just delay the inevitable. All I ever wear, even the last couple days is regular work shirt and pants, with a sweater and insulated coveralls. If I know I will be outside for a bit, a nice heavy goose-feather filled jacket breaks out of the van.
Hopefully you have fun. You most likely would want to cover your face too as it will be frost-bitten in a hurry if the temp stays low.
Cold sucks, but being unprepared is even worse.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
All great advice! Little Jeffy is gonna be fine...They will give him a nice one piece snow suit - its warm as hell. I wore it my first trip there. A nice base layer and jeans were all I wore with a long sleeved shirt under - worked very well. He's gonna be a riot. Can't wait to get pics of him stuck in the snow to post's

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
ordered two pair of the smartwool phd nordic medium sock.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Phd-Nordic-Medium-Sock-Smartwool/dp/B002LFWXHU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327247774&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: SmartWool PhD Nordic Medium Sock - Men's: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qmJOXtEaL.@@AMEPARAM@@41qmJOXtEaL[/ame]

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
I always wear a good pair of sweat pants. You will be far more comfortable than Randy and his bedazzled designer jeans. Make sure you have a balaclava and something for your neck. At high speeds, the wind will find every weakness in your gear. We always say, buy the best helmet money can buy. Good luck and have fun. This is a trip everyone should try

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
Oh, and bring a baseball hat. It's always nice to have a hit with you after you've had a helmet on all day.