What's new

How do you handle a cigar mooch ?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Naked bundles. Tell them they're Cubans. Everybody is happy.

That's been my solution so far anyways.
Love this. If he isn't a serious smoker then this will work perfectly. Plus you'll be the best friend ever in his eyes
Plus I think the naked bundles from Label Your Cigar are decent smokes for working in the yard and whatnot. Win win for me.

drown his kids..........
Spit beer EVERYWHERE laughing. Nicely done, sir :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great ideas so far.... But then how do I get by smoking my awesome sticks. And giving him something that looks different ?
I am not into smoking dog rockets ...

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Great ideas so far.... But then how do I get by smoking my awesome sticks. And giving him something that looks different ?
You shouldn't be made to feel bad for smoking whatever you like in your casa.

The biggest issue here I think is this guy coming right out and asking for smokes. If you offer him a cigar, that's one thing but for him to expect you to provide as many sticks as he feels like smoking is offside. I'd be putting a stop to that asap. As others have said, I'd pick a handful of smokes from the humi that you didn't mind him grabbing from and offer those. Screw what he 'wants'. Beggars can't be choosers.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
best thing is to tell him no. You could as said before buy a second humidor from which he can grab filled with budget sticks. if a buddy comes over yeah he can grab anything from the "mooches" humidor but tell him hands off your private stock humidor.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're in a tough spot in regards to tricking him, as the guy seems to know good smokes. However, I agree with the direct method. You guys seem close, so the truth is the way to go. You are more than willing to share with a friend, but to a certain point. I like the one smoke a day rule. It makes the conversation less confrontational.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time he comes over, ask him to bring a nice bottle of single malt scotch for you both to enjoy with your cigars.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It is a tough one but I hope he does not realise what he is doing....I have a friend who got burned before and I feel for him...I have bought cheapos but talked them up to people who I know mooch from me but I find it hard cause besides friends they are also my pizza customers so when we hang out I kind of suck it up

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Unband the smokes in the budget humi, and then take the band off of yours before you smoke!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tough call. If he's a good friend going through a rough time, I'd do it no problem...for a while. If he's a new friend, maybe he doesn't realise that he's doing it.

I have friends that come over and bring other stuff and I provide the fine cigars.

As long as he's not taking advantage of you, it should be fine.

We can't possibly know enough of the dynamics of the relationship.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
This is a little funny. I have those friends too, maybe not as excessive. I have two humi's my giant which are all my bomb sticks then a desktop with my everyday sticks. People can have as many of the desktops as they want, when there gone there gone. It's filled once a month. If this was me I would be blunt, but Im kind of a direct person. Honestly and openness are the only path. Boundrys are healthy in any relationship.
+1

This is exactly what I do...

I keep "ok" smokes in the public humi... Take what you want... Most of what's in there are auction pick ups that I have less than $3 a stick invested in... $5-$7 type sticks if bought in a B&M.... that I buy randomly on cbid when I see a very good deal available)..

My personal humi is inside the closet in my office... Only I have access... If I choose to go in the and select something nice/special to share... Cool.. But no one else gets access...

If someone asks for a smoke... No problem... I just point them to the public humi, a very nice 200 stick desktop with a wide variety of sticks inside.. And tell them to take anything they want...

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I know a few people like this.. I have one friend in particular that is constantly mooching. I've put a stop to it, but he's moved on to other people, and is mooching off of them. Sometimes you just have to be firm... Just tell him from now on, YOU will pick out the smokes to give him.
Scott
^ this!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always pack an otterbox in advance and ask guests to pick any they'd like. They are never dog rockets, but 3 or 4 dollar cbid purchased cigars.

If I had the financial ability to supply everyone with high end cigars I'd love to, but it's not realistic.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Most of my friends are avid cigar smokers themselves, so they already have an appreciation for the finer cigars. And typically, what is given is always later received down the line. Where I have the occasional smoker friend who don't really keep their own supply and don't know the difference, I'll offer the less expensive sticks that are good. I won't buy something I won't smoke, so I don't have dog rockets.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my approach

1) Have some great cigars to introduce your friends to cigar smoking and then
2) have a box of average to good cigars for the mooches.

Let 'em know up front, the first cigar or two you get choice from the box...then I pick one out for you unless you contribute to the group humidor.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Take the bands of whatever it is that you want to smoke that day, set them aside. I don't have a problem telling my friends, "Hey, I'm saving these (pointing) for a special occasion" or "Hey, those need a few years before they are ready to smoke, lets have a couple of these..." Nobody can argue with that.

Also, set up a second desktop (hell it doesn't even have to be seasoned) pull it out, toss in a bunch of sticks that you dont mind him smoking and don't worry about it. GH Vintage 2002's are perfect. They are pretty good cigars, packaged nicely in a cedar sleeve.

I handed one to a buddy that smokes cigars off and on (He's not a mooch!) he loved it and started asking all kinds of questions about it. I asked him, "How much would you pay for that cigar?" He said, "I don't know, $10-12??" I told him that they were less expensive than that, but I was trying to keep word from getting out. Next time I saw him, I brought him a bundle of 20.