What's new

How do you light your cigar?

How do you usually light your cigar?

• Matches

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Cedar Spills

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Soft Flame Lighter (Bic, Zippo, AB Burner, etc.)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Single Flame Torch Lighter

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • Dual Flame Torch

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • Triple or more Torch

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Heating coil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stare at it until it spontaniously combusts

Votes: 12 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I had to pick the last option because that's awesome, lol.

But like many here, it depends On vitola and also wrapper. I always TOTALLY light my cigar before I take the first puff--learned that here, one of the best tips I've gotten!

For smaller rings and Connecticut Shade or lighter Cuban-type wrappers, I use my ST Dupont MaxJet (xtend). For everything else, I use my new Xikar triple torch which I just love.

The STD gets used for pinpoint touch-ups, etc.

Now I just need a Xikar cutter and I'll be set :)

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I use my trusty Xikar EX soft flame. I love it. I don't worry about about over heating my cigar as much anymore. But outdoors in a slight breeze, it's almost useless.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Torch lately mostly, but my XiKar soft flame is my favorite lighter, just not always ideal given potential weather.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I picked up a cheap, triple flame butane lighter from the store for like $5 and it works like a champ. There is a Cohiba Zippo ligher that is on my wish list. Once I get that, I'll also order one of those butane Zippo inserts to use.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Initially with a triple torch to get things going (especially on the larger RG) and touch ups with a single torch.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I don't take any of my torches with me on trips, so I just use matches until I can stop somewhere and buy a Bic or what not. And DANG ... matches suck! Serioulsy, not only is it hard to get cigars lit with just matches, but you have to Monica Lewinski the thing to get it going and I hate doing that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few different torches & use whatever I have with me or if I don't have one, whatever is available/offered.

Because I don't light exclusively or even a vast majority with any single of the above, went with "Stare at it until it spontaneously combusts".

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to vigorously rub two branches together. It will eventually get hot enough a flame will appear. I will hold the branch with the flame up to my cigar while puffing on it.

Of course if my patience wears thin, I use a Xikar Trezo :ccool:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New method here. I use coffee stirring sticks from the chow hall. I cut them lengthwise into thirds to create a long piece of wood approximately the thickness of a match. Then I light an end with a bic, and use the sticks to light my cigars. Takes about 3 to get a good light.

Why do I do it this way? Here in Afghanistan, my other options are a Zippo with Zippo lighter fluid, or a BIC. I found out early on that the plastic bits in a BIC melt in the time it takes to toast and light a cigar. And I don't want to just light up by madly puffing without toasting.

I'll find a proper lighter when I get home. Perhaps the Colibri Hybrid Torch lighter if I can get one for the right price.