What's new

How do you smoke while driving?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
One of the reasons I don't get to smoke as often as I'd like to is I just don't have time alone (or with fellow cigar buddies) for an hour. However, I am constantly on the road places so I'd like to start lighting up while in the car.

I drive a convertible so I keep thinking there's going to be too much wind. How do you keep your ash intact? It seems like sticking a lit cigar out the window would blow ash everywhere and leave a big red cherry...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, about that...

While on my way to a Bachelor party weekend a while back, I was headed to pick up the best man from the airport in Orange County. What should've been an hour-and-a-half jaunt up the road turned into a 4 hour ordeal... when I realized that I had all the time I needed, I busted into the weekend stash and pulled out a lancero (so I would be able to use the car lighter while in traffic).

I ashed once out the window... didn't get the "big-lebowski-ash-in-the-face," but I did get a big dumb cherry, and the stick started running on me moments later.

My advice: Ash in the ashtray. Don't smoke in high-wind.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I ashed once out the window... didn't get the "big-lebowski-ash-in-the-face," but I did get a big dumb cherry, and the stick started running on me moments later.

My advice: Ash in the ashtray. Don't smoke in high-wind.
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case. Maybe I should just suck it up and try it. Can't be that hard right?

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I use a cup to ash in as it holds more then an ash tray. Trying to ash out a window of a moving car usually blows back in your face or car. Not sure what you could do in a convertable.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Top up, driver's side window cracked about 1-1 1/2" and all other windows closed. That would create a decent negative pressure to reduce the chance of getting ashes in your face. Also, the smoke gets sucked out rather than blowing around inside the car.

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I smoke w/ moon-roof open, ash in a cup (I don't use the ashtray because of the smell it leaves behind)

if windows are opened, or in your case the top down; I have tried to keep cigar as low as possible, try to "cup" cigar in hand to prevent wind gusts from hitting it. However this still causes the cigar to burn uneven, and quickly, sometimes. And still use a cup to ash in.

unfortunately though, you won't win any "longest ash" contests :)

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
My truck's side mirrors create a perfect wind-free deadzone. A little peaceful bubble. As I drive, I just keep the cigar right there. It's comfortable in position and keeps thigns neat (and the smoke outside) then, when I need to ash, I flick it like a cigarette until the ash drops. Not the most dignified ash, but it works just fine. I also find that ashing out the window isn't that bad - Never got ash back in my face.

Do as Treinen said - Driver's side window opened a few inches, air blowing and set to floorboard vents (and close the upper vents first, or you'll blow ash on yourself with them) then occasionally tap it off out the window. Don't stick the cigar out, just stick the ash out.

It works for me :dunno:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Top up, driver's side window cracked about 1-1 1/2" and all other windows closed. That would create a decent negative pressure to reduce the chance of getting ashes in your face. Also, the smoke gets sucked out rather than blowing around inside the car.
This. I also turn the air on a low setting, blowing out near your feet - turns your whole car into a chimney with all the smoke (and ash) getting sucked straight out the window.

I know it works because my wife is NOT the kind who'd keep her mouth shut if she smelled cigar smoke in my car...

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Good advice from everyone. I smoke and main thing is use a cup or empty the ashtray asap or your car will smell, and keep a window open or have some sort of airflow through the vehicle.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Exactly what he said. I've never had a problem with the ash coming back in the car. My only problem is forgetting to ash and it falling on my lap.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I smoked in my wife's Miata a few times. I just kept the stick towards the inside (right hand) which was fine on the freeway (stick shift + cigar is tough). I ashed frequently because I was worried about it blowing around, but it was less of an issue than I expected.

I'd get an ash can if I were you--one of those cup holder ashtrays with a sealable lid. There's a billion of them here in Japan, but I think one of our sponsors sells one, and of course Xikar has one. There should be one in the botl store, but I'm not sure.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
That is cool! My E30 doesn't have any cupholders but it looks like that won't be a problem with that gadget thing. Right on! :thumbsup:
Yeah, the bobken is perfect for this task. As Bill said earlier, crack just the drivers side window a bit, and you can do the thing with the vents. I never adjust my A/C system, just leave it how I had it, crack the window, and light a smoke. It's much easier to light one before you start driving, and probably a lot safer to. With the bobken clipped on your door panel you can even set the cigar down, and the smoke is pulled right out. Just make sure you empty it when you are ready to park the car. I've smoked hundreds of cigars in my truck, and non-smokers can't even tell. Maybe hit it with febreeze when you have the car washed or something.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I used to travel constantly for my old job and I smoked all the time. Yeah I had a few ashbacks and the cherry issue, but it was worth it all.

I had an inside ashtray as suggested and I only cracked the window. A convertible might be a different story, but I never had any problems with burns or anything that the vack could not clean.

Go for it, time is precious and smoking is a good distraction from an hour on the road.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
+1. I also leave the moon roof open. I also spray Febreeze in my car every time after I smoke in it. I just keep a bottle in the back seat