What's new

How far do you go in nubbing it?

How far down do you smoke a cigar?

• 'Til all that's left is ash!

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • As far as I can go without burning my fingers or lips.

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • I stop it at about an inch or so, when it starts to get too hot.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Nub it? I work for Cigar Aficionado! I only smoke an inch!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
How far down do you normally smoke a stick?

Let's assume it's a stick you're enjoying, so we eliminate the "well it depends if it's good or not" variable.

Myself? Typically I smoke down to about an inch or slightly less. I generally find the smoke gets way too hot for my liking when I go much past this point, plus it takes on a bitter harshness that I find unpleasant.

Last thing I want to do is have a cigar I really loved ruined by a hot, harsh ending.

How about you?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Depends. If the flavors start to sour, then I lose interest. Also once it starts to burn my fingers or lips I'm definitely done...unless it's really really good, then I'll find a tooth pick or something. I'm definitely not the masochist Shawn is...have you seen some of his reviews? Good God man.

Dan

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Depends. If the flavors start to sour, then I lose interest. Also once it starts to burn my fingers or lips I'm definitely done...unless it's really really good, then I'll find a tooth pick or something. I'm definitely not the masochist Shawn is...have you seen some of his reviews? Good God man.

Dan

Yeah, he posted one where he literally smoked the cigar down to the cut.

I could never do that.

I find the 3/4" - 1" rule to work pretty well. It's right around this point that I want to let it burn out, as it's too hot and beginning to sour (as you said).

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually around an inch or so. I would rather put it down a little to early, than risk waiting to late and ending on that hot, bitter, nasty taste.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I go as far as I can...most often til it starts to burn my fingers. But, I will stop early if the stick gets harsh. Slow shallow draws help to keep it from getting to hot, in my experience.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Usually till around an inch, unless the flavors don't turn bitter and I'm still really enjoying it... then I go until it starts to burn.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I have been known to smoke down to the nub. But usually less than an inch, where it starts to get too hot and bitter.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I go as far as I can...most often til it starts to burn my fingers. But, I will stop early if the stick gets harsh. Slow shallow draws help to keep it from getting to hot, in my experience.
yes... this works... definitely helps get that extra half inch or so, at least.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
If it's a great smoke, and I just can't get enough... Toothpick, and smoke till it's just ash!!

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I will take it down untill i burn myself mostly.
A thing i have learned a while ago was to purge/push air back through the cigar to get the stick burning all throughout again, take less amounts of draws then once it is back to full fire, wait a few seconds for it to cool and take a nice easy pull. This seems to work really well and I can usually never run into a "hot" situation. If the cigar draws really easily, this can happen though.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I go until the flavor changes, and if it is good flavor/smoke I go till the end.

I typically dont go to the finger burning point or nub tool point, but I have burnt my fingers before, but not often.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
It really depends on the cigar. There are some I will get the damn poker out for and burn them right down to nothing while others get tossed after an inch. In general it seems that I usually smoked them down to about an inch.

Unless of course its a PCR:glassesgr

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
My vote was for...."As far as I can go without burning my fingers or lips!"

....and than there's this to completely finish it off!