What's new

How much does/has the band of a cigar influence(d) you perception of it?

How does the band of a cigar affect your perception of it?

• always influences perception of a cigar

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • sometimes influences perception of a cigar

Votes: 47 38.2%
  • never influences perception of a cigar

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • in the past it always influenced perception of a cigar

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • in the past it sometimes influenced perception of a cigar

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • has never influenced perception of a cigar

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I received my first Tatuaje Havana VI in a sampler awhile ago. I knew nothing about the brand Tatuaje, and the plain band on the cigar didn't catch my eye so it took me awhile before I smoked it.

I'll never forget that first Tatuaje cigar -- rich, spicy, leathery, and delicious. You can't judge a book by its cover.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
A very interesting poll and responses. I work in the wine biz and you could just as easily substitute the words "wine label" for "cigar band" and come away with roughly the same results, IMO. It never ceases to amaze me how influential the appearance/presentation of a bottle of wine can impact the consumer. The band on a cigar, or its packaging, is no different.

Of course, to my mind, the other part of the equation is that, even though the marketing may tempt you into buying something once, if it fails to impress or sucks outright, how many people will you dissuade from purchasing that product afterword?

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
when I first started smoking cigars I'd buy samplers and have some friekin awesome cigars in my humi and I had no idea! They didnt have flashy bands so I figured they were cheap... Wondering now how many amazing cigars I gave to people who would have been happy with a cuban honey...

Boosted

War Eagle!!!
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I misinterpreted the question. I thought it had to do more with the manufacturers' name instead of band design. I certainly am biased when it comes to the name that is on the band. I've been trying to be better when it comes to certain names/brands, but it's hard sometimes.

If the band is cool looking or not has no influence on me. To be honest, I love the look of a stick that is naked or has a simple band design. For instance, the Tatuaje band or the Illusione band. My favorite looking band is the La Riqueza band.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah they do sometimes. Like the Old Henry... I still havent tried them out because thats the ugliest band ever.

orsonwelles

inmenso
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to bands and labels ("the package" we used to call it in the wine biz), if the manufactuer won't spend the money on the presentation, maybe he isn't so proud of what's inside.
There are obvious exceptions: Tatuaje, Montecristo, Padron K Series.
But then again how about that Le Frank box (Last year's major Halloween hit offering by Pete Johnson)?

Or, have you ever read the label on a bottle of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild? A black and white picture of a farm and the words "Red Table Wine" on the bottom. Yet it's one of the most expensive wines you can buy. So, there is something to be said for understatement.

Of course, there are unscrupulous (or maybe just clever) suppliers who spend almost all the money on the package, with the probably correct attitude that most people don't know the difference anyhow. Let the buyer beware.
And I don't care what you think about 'em quality-wise, but Gurkhas always look great and inviting. And in my experience, they sometimes really are delicious.

You are aware that some truly great cigars are presented without bands. Several Cuban brands have traditionally offered some sizes in that fashion.
When I see a really aesthetic band, label or box, and the manufacturer has a favorable reputation, I allow myself to be impressed and to hope that what you see is what you get.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah they do sometimes. Like the Old Henry... I still havent tried them out because thats the ugliest band ever.
When I first read the title of this thread that was the first cigar that came to mind! I haven't tried those for the same reason. We could be missing out. Other than that I don't think that I choose a cigar due to the band being nice or not. However, a nice band will make me take notice of the cigar and ask if its good or not. If I'm buying online, I'm usually getting what I've already tried. Then the band really doesn't matter. Its only natural to be drawn to the pretty or nice looking stuff.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My choices are sadly almost always determined by the band...if I don't hear about it first and it doesn't catch my eye then I let it sit. There are too many cigars I love to waste time and money looking for others that I might not like. Also if my experiences with a brand are bad to start I typically won't go back to that brand. Like Rocky Patel...I had a few sticks and didn't care for them so I would probably never buy them again...same with Oliva...I smoked all the vitolas (with the exception of a V maddy or any MB) and I was put off...thanks to some brothers here (Elderboy and Patrick B) I was encouraged to try the V Maddy and MB...glad I did b/c they are awesome!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I first started smoking the band was a big part of what I would select to smoke. A cigar with a nice looking band was just automaticly better some how. But as I got to know more about cigars it became more about the apperance of the wrapper, the construction, brand reputation. But even today a nice looking band will always catch your eye in the humidor, it like a pretty girl walking down the street.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Although I do enjoy collecting cigar bands and display them around my house in various ways, I don't know that the aesthetics of the band have ever had an influence on my purchasing. This could be because I spent several months smoking before I ever bought anything on my own (nice friends). By the time I bought something I already knew what I liked. If I'm buying something I've never tried I tend to take recommendations from my friends, B&M owners, or try new blends by my favorite manufacturers.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
When I first read the title of this thread that was the first cigar that came to mind! I haven't tried those for the same reason. We could be missing out. Other than that I don't think that I choose a cigar due to the band being nice or not. However, a nice band will make me take notice of the cigar and ask if its good or not. If I'm buying online, I'm usually getting what I've already tried. Then the band really doesn't matter. Its only natural to be drawn to the pretty or nice looking stuff.
Not a big fan of Old Henry. Expected more from a Nicaraguan puro created by Pepin. Maybe that's the problem, the expectation.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two favorite lines have very simple band designs; Montecristo and Alonso Menendez. I guess the thinking is, when you've got it inside, the outside really needn't matter.

I have never allowed a band to steer me toward a brand. However, I do appreciate some of them, on an artistic level.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm don't believe in a lot of the false marketing tactics some of these companies are pertaining too. Though I enjoy the Bands on cigars, they don't matter when it comes to smoking the cigar. I enjoy the flavor and complexity. When it comes to appearance, bands are just an extra for me.

EX: Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve or Tatuaje Regios. What would you grab under first impression never knowing anything about both companies or never trying one of their smokes.
I'd have grabbed the OWR. They smell nicer and the band is cooler. Plus, I've heard of Rocky Patel ... what the heck does Tatuaje mean?

There are always people at my local B&M that as me what my favorite cigars are. I tell them Tatuaje ... they look at me like I'm from another planet. Then I point them out on the shelf, and tell them they should really just try one, they're awesome. They look at the cigar and say "Cool" ... but don't buy it, lol.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Though I do love looking at a pretty band, I try not to let it influence my decision. Never judge a book by it's cover. In the past I tended to go for the flashier bands, but now I try all kinds, flashy or plain jane.

-Dave

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Maybe it's me but I can't help but think that the added cost of all of the grandiose packaging and graphics (Gurkha for one) being passed on to the consumer is pure ego boosting crap aimed at the "look at what I'm smoking" crowd. I mean a $20 hooker wearing Versace and charging $200 is still just a $20 hooker after you undress her.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
im with strife... when i see a really huge intricate 2 inch high fancy band it actually puts me off.

out of my top 10 cigars ever all of them have nice, relatively simple bands. tatuajes, padron, pretty much all CC's...

if you;re the real deal you don't have to exclaim it... i think most of the good cigar companies get this.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
im with strife... when i see a really huge intricate 2 inch high fancy band it actually puts me off.

out of my top 10 cigars ever all of them have nice, relatively simple bands. tatuajes, padron, pretty much all CC's...

if you;re the real deal you don't have to exclaim it... i think most of the good cigar companies get this.
While I agree with what you say, I will state the counterpoint that, at least IMO, Alec Bradley has some fantastic cigars on the market and a lot of them have very gaudy bands. Don't judge a book by its cover goes both ways.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The color, aroma and construction of a cigar dictates my perception of it. Some of the gars that I get have no bands on them at all.:wink:

EstateDude

Thats what she said.
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I absolutely love cigar bands. Though the bands themselves have no bearing if I buy a cigar or not. I buy cigars usually based off of reviews from you guys or from the websites selling the stogies.