Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I will not buy at all if rated BAD by BOTL

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I really enjoy being involved/part of the BOTL community. It has been a wonderfull tool for a hobby I both love and respect.The only thing that bums me out from time to time is buying a cigar discussed here and not getting any of the flavor profile discussed about it. That being said, I have had wonderfull experiences with cigars I may have never tried without imput from BOTL. Taste is a very subjective issue with us cigar enthusiast. I tend to make my buys on certian manufacturers I like yet I have stuck out my neck on more than a few occations without merit and for cigars hyped here on BOTL. Buying cigars is an expensive hobby and so making a mistake can be very costly. I want to know how your influneced and if your Tastebuds have served you well.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Negligible. But that's really because i try just about every new thing that comes out.

Occasionally, a recommendation may get me to try or bring out a particular cigar that I haven't had in a while.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Negligible. But that's really because i try just about every new thing that comes out.

Occasionally, a recommendation may get me to try or bring out a particular cigar that I haven't had in a while.
I can't say I buy every new thing that comes out but I love to read about it in the "Review Thread". The reason I posted this poll was to see if our taste is somewhat comparable or if we all truely do have different taste.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have enjoyed the reviews here but still stay with the cigars and manufactureres that have served me well in the past.

A lot of the reviews are different then the same cigar I smoked so far as taste. If it is a cigar I have not tried and the reviewer states the same tastes I prefer I will purchase a fiver and see for myself. Which most times I do not experience the same.

The problem I have is a lot of releases are small one time runs that I like and by the time I try one I can not go back and get a box.

I see very little mention also on most of the reviews on smell or drawing through the nose which I believe is a big part on overall flavor and experienceing a fine cigar.

I know from the personnel friends I smoke with that we are all a little different in taste and that some pick up flavors in a cigar that others do not smoking the same cigar.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
When I think about it, my cigar-buying is HIGHLY determined by BOTL when it comes to new cigars or cigars I've never tried.

If something's not on my radar (for example, Viaje) and I keep hearing good things here, then I will definitely give them a try. Of course, if it's something I like and nobody here does, I could care less 'cuz you're all a bunch of azzhats anyway :halfgrinw

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I use to buy a box of something if someone liked it on here but now days I have a much better hand on what I really like. So now I mostly buy 1 cigar if it gets an overall good rating on here and try it before I buy a box.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This site has not lead me astray yet.

I read about Illusione on here. Tried them. Loved them.

I read about Liga Privada No. 9 and T52 on here. Tried them. Absolutely loved them.

And so on and so forth.

Were it not for this site and the input of you fine gentlemen, I would've never heard/tried any of the cigars that I now hold in high regard.

BOTL and its members definitely influence my cigar buyin'.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Whether it's from this board or another, word of mouth is still a good way to hear about something. I like the reviews that the brothers do here because where I'm at, there isn't a B&M to go make a run and get something to try. Reading about the newest and the greatest is the only way I hear about it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
When I think about it, my cigar-buying is HIGHLY determined by BOTL when it comes to new cigars or cigars I've never tried.

If something's not on my radar (for example, Viaje) and I keep hearing good things here, then I will definitely give them a try. Of course, if it's something I like and nobody here does, I could care less 'cuz you're all a bunch of azzhats anyway :halfgrinw
......LOL x2 (except for the azzhats part):grin:

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This place does influence some of my purchases. Like indyrob, I don't have a b&m close by to see what is new. I'll try to find a sampler online to try or a fiver. Some I like, some I don't. I still buy cigars that have never been mentioned on here though. I still have to give BOTL props for getting the word out on some good smokes.

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I put you guys/gals don't influence me at all, but only because we all have different taste in smokes. It's not that I don't like you guys/gals, just that your taste in cigars is sometimes suspect.

:grinFU:

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I think some of you who post reviews on BOTL are shills for the cigar manufacturers and are only on here to drum up positive news on new sticks that are coming out to increase demand for them. I could be wrong, but damn some of these reviews are very suspect!

waffle

who doesn't love waffles!
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I read the reviews, however... I just like another perspective, I usually end up trying what I want and see if I agree or disagree with the review.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I don't base my decisions on reviews here, as said before everyone has different opinons. not everyone in a TAT whore or worships at the feet of DPG. but it is nice to get different input every now and then.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think some of you who post reviews on BOTL are shills for the cigar manufacturers and are only on here to drum up positive news on new sticks that are coming out to increase demand for them. I could be wrong, but damn some of these reviews are very suspect!

Yowch! :disappoin

I think there are folks here that are very loyal to some of their favorite brands. that's all.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
No review, either on this board or any website, influences me completely. For the most part, if there's a consensus among reviewers and smokers about a cigar having this or that general quality––i.e. a particular profile, a note, the cigar's strength––it may pique my interest. Case in point: JdN Antaño 1970. In general, reviews online said very spicy, very strong. Piqued my interest, tried some, now I like them.

What I don't pay much attention to is a reviewer's overall assessment or score, since the way those flavors and smells affect a person vary wildly. Another case in point: CAO La Traviata Divino. People raved over this stick. I tasted similar things, but found it exceedingly dull.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You have to love the BOTL.

I am here to trade smokes, read and write reviews, keep up to date on New Releases, meet other cigar lovers, HERF and stay up today on the latest cigar news.

With so many knowledgeable Brothers on this site, I believe this is the best cigar website on the net. I rarely need to google search anything cigar related because someone on BOTL is always there to help.

That being said, I do take BOTL reviews in consideration, but because everyone has different tastes, one or two reviews should not persuade you not to try a smoke that you think you might like. I heard a lot of negative things about the Casa Magna on this site and it is one of my favorite cigars.

Jammerjoe

Fantasy Sports Geek
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I make my own decisions, but am an active trade participant because it give me the opportunity to try different cigars without buying them by the box.

I'm here for the camaraderie. There is no better group of people in my experience than the cigar-smoking crowd. I've made so many friends and enjoyed many a grand time thanks to the brotherhood we share.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I can't really vote in this poll, because it depends on WHO writes the review as to whether or not a review on BOTL influences my decision to buy.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Honestly, I really don't read reviews any more. Part of that is because I haven't done any buying in quite some time and don't really plan on any in the near future (though I'm always hopeful!), but mostly because everyone's palate (sp?) is different. I figured out a while back that I just don't have the ability to taste all of the nuances that some do, so I smoke what I like and leave it at that. There are far too many cigars out there for me to try ever one that comes out nowadays so I don't even bother trying. I have my favorites and honestly, I have a really hard time pulling myself away from them to try an unknown.

Oh, and to explain the first part of the first sentence, too much reading about cigars makes Jason a very poor and in debt boy. ;)