Votes: 40 23.5%
  • I will just buy a box if rated good on BOTL

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I will not buy at all if rated BAD by BOTL

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If I hear more than one bad review, I give pause before buying. After that point, it's a matter of "how full is the humi?" and "how much cigar cash is available at the moment? :)

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Well, this poll has shown one thing: so far 31 people are either lying or in denial. Why belong to a cigar site if you're not going to use the information on that site to help you decide how to spend your hard earned $$ on cigars?

EDIT: I guess an exception would be if you figured out what you like before joining, and never bought something new or different.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I don't usually read the reviews, but I pay attention to the general buzz around a particular cigar. It has a huge influence on what I pick up at the B&M or off the for-sale threads.

I don't always agree with you guys, but I enjoy the community experience. If I'm in the mood to roll the dice on a random stick anyway I like being able to hop online right after (or during) and find people to discuss it with.

Since becoming a member here I've had some big disappointments, found some new favorites, and met some great guys.

-Charles

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a noob, I try to read and watch cigar reviews AFTER I have smoked one or two and made pretty detailed notes to myself about the cigar in question.

I have been doing this in order to find at least one or two cigar reviewers out there who tend to reflect the experience I have with each cigar while smoking it...This way I know I can probably trust their reviews down the road when I'm looking for a specific flavor profile, blend, or considering trying something new from a maker I tend to like, etc.

For me personally, I find that Jerry aka Don "Cruz"ado at www.stogiereview.com gives reviews that are eerily similar to my experiences while smoking a specific cigar, and so I've come to trust his reviews almost implicitly. I also find his reviews pretty entertaining as he seems like the kind of guy I could hang out and shoot the shit with.

I've also had a nagging suspicion that he is at some level a shill for CAO, but then I've yet to have a CAO cigar I didn't thoroughly enjoy, so I'm not sure it matters one way or the other. :)

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I really enjoy this forum. However, I have only bought a handful of different sticks based on what is said here. Most of the time I've already bought a couple of sticks before any reviews come up. This forum is great for putting things on my radar such as the new Liga JD4 and other pre-production sticks. Plus I always know that if there is a stick I can't find which is rare down here in Raleigh, I know there is a brother on here that is willing to help you out if need be. That's what I love about this place.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, this poll has shown one thing: so far 31 people are either lying or in denial. Why belong to a cigar site if you're not going to use the information on that site to help you decide how to spend your hard earned $$ on cigars?

EDIT: I guess an exception would be if you figured out what you like before joining, and never bought something new or different.
For the friendship/brotherhood? :dunno:

I think some of it depends on where you are in the hobby as well. I think I read reviews much more when I was brand new to the hobby.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I will buy without recommendation from BOTL. But depending on the review, rating, etc I may or may not buy the cigar on BOTL. BOTL is one of the many factors that go into my crazy cigar logic. I also listen to DWCR, Blowing Smoke read Brooks's site and do other research as well. Sometimes it just looks too tempting at a B&M too.

I'm not prejudice...I take input from anyone with value.

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I don't listen to any of you guys, I'm just here to look at Jammerjoe's avatar.

:tiphat:
You know, I had a remarkably well thought out and intelligent comment to add to this thread. I really did. But as usually happens when I've got something worth adding, Jammerjoe got in before me, and his avatar made me forget everything I was going to type.:cursing:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Just found this thread. This is a good one! I see how someone could feel there are shills for certain brands. I don't think it's really the case but I understand. When you really get down to it, "WE" really only focus on a few brands that are out there. That being said I think there is a reason why that is. Similar to music or beer or...anything almost, the majority of what is out there is homogeneous and boring. They may make quality cigars but there is a feeling of "so what?" Certain brands have changed the game slightly by changing the dynamic of the overall cigar experience. These companies should be supported for chaning the game as much as some companies should be supported for remaining authentic, what ever that may be.

I do notice that this being a communal environment of sorts, people want to fit in and be in certain circles. Purchases are made. Purchases are shown. The same people later turn around and sell off those HTF cigars. So it leads me to believe that some, in the need to fit in, buy cigars they don't need or can't afford because of the hype and cool guy factor of being one of the few to have held such a limited release, even if only for a limited time.

I know the feeling. I recently had to have an honest talk with myself and admit that I really do not need the newest Monster series.

To the point of the poll, I do factor in some reviews. If a person has some similar tastes as myself or is completely honest in what they did or did not like/experience I might try it based on just that.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
In my opinion if BOTL reviews are guilty of anything it was changing my pallette in a very short time and intoducing me to much better cigars on the market. I used to spend $50 on a 10-15pk know I'm spending that on 4-5 cigars. I really don't go by what someone says as my first post explains but I can tell you that my quality in cigars has been influenced heavely by this site. As much as I hate to spend alot I have to say it is now worth it and there's no turning back. It really is a slippery slope!!

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I have a pretty good idea who has similar likes and dislikes and will use that as a judge more than just the widespread anticipation of something new.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I am glad this got bumped. As someone was started smoking when Davidoff Robustos were $5 a stick, the world as I knew it had changed considerably. For instance, the flavor profile(s) I enjoy have really changed and evolved. Had I not had some "sherpas" to help me out, I would be stuck in the same rut and continue to smoke the same stuff just because I recognized the name and was overwhelmed by what was out there, like before.

I smoke between 2-3 times a week and want those smokes to be enjoyable. So for me, reviews and knowing people well enough to recognize their taste and that they they have experience beyond mine is extremely helpful.

Not only has BOTL saved me money, it has enhanced my viewfinder and palate. Win, win, in my book. :)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Today's CI Deal is an Alec Bradley Flight Sampler.

The Alec Bradley Flight Sampler includes:
2 - Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (5.5" x 55)
2 - Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto (5" x 50)
2 - Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1 (5.5" x 50)
2 - Alec Bradley Select Cabinet Reserve Robusto (5" x 50)
2 - Alec Bradley Harvest Habano Robusto (5" x 50)

$29.95

Never smoked an AB cigar before.

Should I get this?

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Can't comment on that one Braden, I haven't had an AB smoke before either.

As for the thread: I enjoy reading reviews, especially from the brothers here. I have a basic understanding of some sticks from a few years ago, but I definitely rely on some reviews here and elsewhere before I pick up new sticks.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I wait for a review on this site or others to see what I should get next.