What's new

How Old Is Too Old For An Opus?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As the title states, kindly give your thoughts on this question. I am curious to hear your opinions.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I have never smoked one that I considered too old. I have never tried the OR release but have had one that was over 10 years old (thanks Terran!) and was still a fantastic cigar. Maybe in another 20 or 30 years my opinion may change but I think they have enough strength to continue to age for a long time. They are very different after say 6 or 7 years and as long as you don't expect the same punch as a young one I find them to be more enjoyable then fresh or few year ones.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have never smoked one that I considered too old. I have never tried the OR release but have had one that was over 10 years old (thanks Terran!) and was still a fantastic cigar. Maybe in another 20 or 30 years my opinion may change but I think they have enough strength to continue to age for a long time. They are very different after say 6 or 7 years and as long as you don't expect the same punch as a young one I find them to be more enjoyable then fresh or few year ones.
I completely agree. I have searched the world to no avail for an OR to smoke so my answer now is there is never one that is too old at all. The point about another 20 years out is a good one, but you can bet even then that people will still want a 20 year old Opus X.

My take, sit back and enjoy my brother.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am with the others. I have had a hand full of OR's and some others that are 10 years old and they are still delicious! They are a whole different animal with that kind of age. The white in the band is nearly brown and the cigar is much more mellow and complex. There is still some strength, but not the knock you down power of a fresh Opus. I think 20 years would be no problem. Probably more.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Aaron is right, as usual. I've had Opus from 2001, 2002, 2003 ... all within the last 18 months. All were excellent. In fact, I plan to smoke one tomorrow from 2000/2001 (either an RdC or a DC ... can't decide .. but it's my day off with no kids, so it's "big cigar time").

Interestingly, I still find them to be pretty strong after all that time. Not as strong as they were, but still punchy and leaving the mouth a bit numb. Either med-full or even full-strength still, depending on vitola I suppose. The last aged Opus I had was only like 2006, and it was stronger than the older ones, but not quite as refined (different vitola, though).

I have an "A" coffin from 2007 (the year my son was born), and I probably will save it until his 18th birthday. I expect it will still be good.

If you like cinnamon raisin bread ... smoke a well-aged Opus :)

I know sorta someone who got a full box of OR Opus X (from Carlito I believe), he says they are still out of this world.

Last edited:

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I think the oldest Opus I've smoked to date had 7 years on it & it was great - WAY better than fresh! Truth be told, I prefer LFD to a fresh Opus (I mean that as a compliment to LFD).

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
From my experience with aged cigars I think I can say with confidence that it takes a very long time for a cigar to die if properly maintained. I've been able to smoke some 1940s clear havanas that still had a decent flavour to them, though not really strong, and some 1926 clear havanas that had a VERY faint taste. For the most part, though, most cigars will last decades if properly taken care of.

With that being said, there are optimal times to smoke a cigar. Its generally individual to a cigar, but there are times when the oils in that cigar meld just right. If you keep your cigars at a good temp and good humidity, though, the oils will stay in the cigar and it won't lose flavor for a long time. That flavor will slowly change, but it'll be there.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I believe I've had a OR (thanks to Matt Cyrann) while I thought it was ok. Yellow as all he'll btw, I thought ones with 5-6 yrs are better .

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
If you like cinnamon raisin bread ... smoke a well-aged Opus :)

Funny. I LOVE cinnamon raison bread! Never heard an Opus (or any other) described as that before.

With all the above said, imagine pulling out an Opus on your 80th birthday (thats 50 years away for me) and puffing on a 50 year old Opus. At that point, even if its a mild smoke, wouldn't that be simply amazing? Just a thought. And perhaps a plan for the future...

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The oldest Opus I have smoked was only 3 years old, however, I have smoked a good few of them (easily my favorite cigar), and can see them having legs for decades.