What's new

How sophisticated is your personal palate?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Kattman has said that if he doesn't like a cigar he usually won't write about it. Too many problems giving a cigar a bad review. If he likes a cigar I normally enjoy it also.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Kattman has said that if he doesn't like a cigar he usually won't write about it. Too many problems giving a cigar a bad review. If he likes a cigar I normally enjoy it also.
i wish more reviewers would do that, so many review sites will write a decent review for a cigar donated to them even if its complete garbage. They're too worried about relationships within the industry. Shame, shame, shame. Brown nosing at its finest.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I honestly think sometimes out tasters change from time to time, as one time a Cigar taste like it has say Coco, then the next stick of the same brand no Coco. Also each leaf from a Tabacco plant from the same field, crop, and harvest, is different. JMHO.

driver

Attitude + Effort = Results
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Reviews are way over board with their flavors bordering on complete BS mostly. Pencil lead ya right, hmmmm what's that I'm tasting it's subtle oh it's horse shit:). You smoke your horse shit pencil lead cigar and I'll keep it real with rich smooth tobacco that burns well, will do:)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My only 2 cents is (whatever your palate) don't be afraid to change. Some of my favorite tastes are things that I didn't like the first time. coffee, sushi, CCs, Gouda, some people.
I decided to stop labeling my self. I used to think I preferred "stronger" cigars or "fuller bodied" cigars, republicans, democrats, libertarians, etc. I think labeling yourself only prevents you from enjoying what the world has to offer.
I like strong, spicy food, and some years ago, learned that people that like really bold spicy food actually don't taste as much as people that didn't eat that kind of stuff.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My palate is not super sensitive. Probably can pick up about 7-9 flavors total. I read someone describe a cigar as having a malt flavor then I try and think about malt and then I try and see if I can taste that and then I continue reading the article and then they say they can taste 12 different types of malt on various cigars and then I realize they just make shit up.

The one thing that really helps me taste different things is to smoke two cigars at the same time. Draw from one then draw from the other and compare the two.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My palate...images (6).jpeg
I'm jealous of those that can pick out 15 flavors....but in my ignorance is smoky bliss when I find a stick I enjoy!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once saw a food show that said there are people that don't like cilantro. It tastes soapy to them. I just happen to be one of "those people". "Super taster" they say. Well, I've never tasted " cardomom" In a cigar. But, what do I know? I've been told I have the pallet of a Billie goat...
My whole family thinks cilantro tastes like soap. That’s why I drink so much tequila when I eat Mexican food.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
and then I continue reading the article and then they say they can taste 12 different types of malt on various cigars and then I realize they just make shit up.
Had to chime in here on this one. I totally agree with you here. While I feel like I can taste a ton of subtleties and nuances in certain cigars' flavor profiles, some reviewers go waaaay too far. I remember I was watching a YouTube review of the Cuban Partagas braided cigars (can't remember their name) and me and a bunch of other people were just tearing these guys a new asshole in the comments because they literally described the flavor by naming almost every flavor you could find in a cigar. Just for that specific one.

I've never smoked a cigar, not even the Padron 1964 Anniversary, Where I could find 20 different flavors within its profile.