What's new

Humidification Thread: FAQ and Fun Facts

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
A while ago the mods decided to mock me and start a similar thread in my name. And then they (hypothetically B2) erased it.

With all the new threads being opened on this topic, I thought it would be good to consolidate these questions and issues. (if it's okay with the mods.)

Any questions on beads, kitty litter, HCM, Heartfelt, or humidors, tupperware, coolers, wineadors, or hygrometers or other humidification issues are welcomed here. I cannot guarantee I know all the answers but there are many wise people on BOTL who know (and care) way more than I do about this issue.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I read in another thread the humidity levels at different temperatures are not actually what is read on the hygrometer. For instance at 67 degrees and a humidity reading of 70, it was actually closer to 75 rh because of the cooler temperature. I currently have 1/2 lb of 70% beads and 4 69% bovedas spaced throughout. The beads are located on the top shelf and the bottom. The cigars seem to be a bit over humidified but I think that may be due to the fact that the humidity outside is closer to 20%. If I let them sit outside the humi for an hour or so, they smoke fine. In the summer the humidity will be closer to 80% so I am wondering if I should leave it alone or change to a 65% bead. Any suggestions?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I read in another thread the humidity levels at different temperatures are not actually what is read on the hygrometer. For instance at 67 degrees and a humidity reading of 70, it was actually closer to 75 rh because of the cooler temperature. I currently have 1/2 lb of 70% beads and 4 69% bovedas spaced throughout. The beads are located on the top shelf and the bottom. The cigars seem to be a bit over humidified but I think that may be due to the fact that the humidity outside is closer to 20%. If I let them sit outside the humi for an hour or so, they smoke fine. In the summer the humidity will be closer to 80% so I am wondering if I should leave it alone or change to a 65% bead. Any suggestions?
I believe hygrometers account for the different temperatures and offer up real humidity. At least that's what they claim.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
First and foremost, this is a great idea for a thread. Secondly, I recently purchased a AW-281cc and seasoned my drawers this week. However, I think I may have over seasoned them. I took out the containers of DW last night and let it stabilize (so I thought). Unfortunately the humidity stayed the same. Let it set for 12 hours before adding 2 lbs of HF beads (65%). Still no change. Took out 1 lb of beads and still no change. I had it unplugged this whole time. However, I just plugged it in to see if circulation of air would help matters. Any suggestions???

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
First and foremost, this is a great idea for a thread. Secondly, I recently purchased a AW-281cc and seasoned my drawers this week. However, I think I may have over seasoned them. I took out the containers of DW last night and let it stabilize (so I thought). Unfortunately the humidity stayed the same. Let it set for 12 hours before adding 2 lbs of HF beads (65%). Still no change. Took out 1 lb of beads and still no change. I had it unplugged this whole time. However, I just plugged it in to see if circulation of air would help matters. Any suggestions???
Open the door for 45 minutes. Close the door. Safer than plugging it in and cooling it down.

If that doesn't work, try it again.

and congrats on the purchase.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
@sofc Thanks. I forgot to mention that it's currently empty until I get the humidity leveled off. My cigars are still safe and sound in my desktops. It's kinda like waiting to move into your newly built house because you're waiting on a safety inspection. You can see it but its just not ready.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I've honestly just put my cigars in wineador, cabinet, cooler, etc., put beads and let them be.

They have a way of stabilizing. However, this is not common as most people suggest much seasoning.

Problem is after you put the cigars in, humidity had a way of changing.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
@sofc Thanks. I forgot to mention that it's currently empty until I get the humidity leveled off. My cigars are still safe and sound in my desktops. It's kinda like waiting to move into your newly built house because you're waiting on a safety inspection. You can see it but its just not ready.
I'm thinking you should have kept your Avallo. Lol., but it's in a good home.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Allright, noob question here.
The guy at a B&M I went to told me that I can mix Boveda RH%'s in my tupperdor. As in a 65% and a 72%
Is this possible or will it become too much work for each Boveda, and I just got another rep that knows less about cigars/storage than I do?

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Allright, noob question here.
The guy at a B&M I went to told me that I can mix Boveda RH%'s in my tupperdor. As in a 65% and a 72%
Is this possible or will it become too much work for each Boveda, and I just got another rep that knows less about cigars/storage than I do?
Most things are possible. I actually have one humi with different ones (only because I was not paying attention) and the cigars in it smoke fine.

Probably better just to have one or the other.