What's new

Humidification Thread: FAQ and Fun Facts

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Here is a copy of my Kitty Litter instructions for those of you who may be interested. If anyone needs further help or clarification please feel free to contact me via PM. I'm always happy to help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off you want to make sure that you start with the right type of KL. It needs to be the crystal type and unscented. Personally I use Mimi litter ($4 for 4 pounds at WalMart) but others have had the same result with the Equisicat brand. Just make sure that it is the crystal style and unscented.

Next you will want to choose the right container. Some people have used nylon stockings or filter media bags to hold it but I have heard a complaint or two regarding dust if you do it this way. It is also a little bit harder to hydrate so what I have found is the best container is a shallow plastic Tupperware style container. In my one cooler I used plastic switch boxes (the type that you would use if you are putting a switch or outlet into your house) but the reason for this was that they fit perfectly into the empty space I had . The ones I use for my other cooler are the smaller containers that lunch meat came in originally. Sandwich size Gladware containers are also a great option. Basically any shallow plastic container will work.

Fill the containers with the KL about 1/2" to 1" deep. A little deeper than that will not hurt however the key is not to have a ton of KL but rather to have as much surface area exposed as possible. then distribute the containers at various locations. For a wineador I would say that you would want to have a couple of containers on the bottom and one or two on the top. if you have space one in the middle would not hurt but if you have some sort of circulation setup in your wineador it probably is not necessary.

Now to hydrate the KL. My suggestion is to go to WalMart and buy a spray bottle. I found one in the housewares section by the ironing supplies for around a buck. Fill the spray bottle with distilled water and spray the water over the top of the KL that is in your container. From my experience, the KL is generally about 60% RH out of the bag and that you can raise the humidity by 1% for every 1-2 spritzes. in other words if you want to get your humidity to 65% (for example) start by spraying each of your KL containers 5-7 sprays. Now strategically place the containers in the wineador. Let it sit for at least a day and see where the humidity is. If you need more humidity, give it a few additional spritzes. if you accidentally over humidify, just add a little more KL from the bag to bring it back down and let it sit another day. I have found that by doing this you can dial it in to the % you want within 2-3 days.

Important things to consider

- Make sure that your hygrometers are properly calibrated. This sounds basic but many people forget to take this important step.
- Make sure that your spaces are as full as possible. Spanish cedar and cigars will help to regulate your humidity. if you have a lot of empty space you can fill it with empty boxes from your B&M. If your space is empty it will be harder to keep a constant RH.
- When placing your Spanish cedar trays or empty cigar boxes inside, make sure that they are "seasoned". I have seen it happen more than once where someone has put dry boxes or trays into their cooler or wineador and it has made it very hard to stabilize their humidity.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Here is a copy of my Kitty Litter instructions for those of you who may be interested. If anyone needs further help or clarification please feel free to contact me via PM. I'm always happy to help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off you want to make sure that you start with the right type of KL. It needs to be the crystal type and unscented. Personally I use Mimi litter ($4 for 4 pounds at WalMart) but others have had the same result with the Equisicat brand. Just make sure that it is the crystal style and unscented.

Next you will want to choose the right container. Some people have used nylon stockings or filter media bags to hold it but I have heard a complaint or two regarding dust if you do it this way. It is also a little bit harder to hydrate so what I have found is the best container is a shallow plastic Tupperware style container. In my one cooler I used plastic switch boxes (the type that you would use if you are putting a switch or outlet into your house) but the reason for this was that they fit perfectly into the empty space I had . The ones I use for my other cooler are the smaller containers that lunch meat came in originally. Sandwich size Gladware containers are also a great option. Basically any shallow plastic container will work.

Fill the containers with the KL about 1/2" to 1" deep. A little deeper than that will not hurt however the key is not to have a ton of KL but rather to have as much surface area exposed as possible. then distribute the containers at various locations. For a wineador I would say that you would want to have a couple of containers on the bottom and one or two on the top. if you have space one in the middle would not hurt but if you have some sort of circulation setup in your wineador it probably is not necessary.

Now to hydrate the KL. My suggestion is to go to WalMart and buy a spray bottle. I found one in the housewares section by the ironing supplies for around a buck. Fill the spray bottle with distilled water and spray the water over the top of the KL that is in your container. From my experience, the KL is generally about 60% RH out of the bag and that you can raise the humidity by 1% for every 1-2 spritzes. in other words if you want to get your humidity to 65% (for example) start by spraying each of your KL containers 5-7 sprays. Now strategically place the containers in the wineador. Let it sit for at least a day and see where the humidity is. If you need more humidity, give it a few additional spritzes. if you accidentally over humidify, just add a little more KL from the bag to bring it back down and let it sit another day. I have found that by doing this you can dial it in to the % you want within 2-3 days.

Important things to consider

- Make sure that your hygrometers are properly calibrated. This sounds basic but many people forget to take this important step.
- Make sure that your spaces are as full as possible. Spanish cedar and cigars will help to regulate your humidity. if you have a lot of empty space you can fill it with empty boxes from your B&M. If your space is empty it will be harder to keep a constant RH.
- When placing your Spanish cedar trays or empty cigar boxes inside, make sure that they are "seasoned". I have seen it happen more than once where someone has put dry boxes or trays into their cooler or wineador and it has made it very hard to stabilize their humidity.
Wow bro, you're serious about this humidification stuff.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fellas...I dropped a Hygro-Set in a zip lock with a 69 Boveda yesterday and today it reads 75%.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
My question is; why should I read this thread full of solid information when I could just start a new thread that could have been answered if I had read this one or used the search bar to read all the other ones ever created?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
My question is; why should I read this thread full of solid information when I could just start a new thread that could have been answered if I had read this one or used the search bar to read all the other ones ever created?
Why wouldn't you think you're the first person to have a humidity question? Or cellophane? Or best cheap cigar?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I think you should start a new thread every time. It gives me something to do.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
For those of you with wineadors:

Are the drawers/shelves worth doubling the cost of the wineador?
Do you try the wineador without any additional fans before you put the fans in?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

I decided against them. My money is better spent elsewhere. I would probably go that route again if I smoked more actively.

I never added fans. And now that it stays in a stable room, I've actually unplugged my unit all together. So... I'm probably the worst person to ask about wineadors.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I decided against them. My money is better spent elsewhere. I would probably go that route again if I smoked more actively.

I never added fans. And now that it stays in a stable room, I've actually unplugged my unit all together. So... I'm probably the worst person to ask about wineadors.
I'm the same way in both so it's okay. :)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0

I love mine and still think they were worth it even though I'm starting to wish I just got a few shelves as I've switched from buying NC's to boxes of CC's and now I just like to store boxes. I fell as though once I go through all the remainign lose NC's I have in my drawers I may just want the space for boxes. Drawers sure are cool though. roughly the price of a nice box of cigars and they will last practically forever. I got the ones from John.

I keep mine unplugged as my basement stays 62-68 degrees year round. I don't have multiple hygrometers but the humidity seems fairly consisten from top to bottom when I move it around and let sit. That being said, for piece of mind, I'll probably add some fans in.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I keep mine unplugged as my basement stays 62-68 degrees year round. I don't have multiple hygrometers but the humidity seems fairly consisten from top to bottom when I move it around and let sit. That being said, for piece of mind, I'll probably add some fans in.
I've had both oust fans and laptop fans and it really didn't make much of a difference in the humidity.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Worth it? It was to me as I wanted the ability to have easy access to my cigars without digging around for a box to open. In retrospect I wish I had gone with 3 shelves and 2 drawers rather than the 5 drawers and 1 shelf I have. I have not added any fans. When the wineador is fully loaded there is about 3 Rh difference between the top (lower Rh) than the bottom. I have a lot of cigars in there and I think it blocks the air flow somewhat.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Worth it? It was to me as I wanted the ability to have easy access to my cigars without digging around for a box to open. In retrospect I wish I had gone with 3 shelves and 2 drawers rather than the 5 drawers and 1 shelf I have. I have not added any fans. When the wineador is fully loaded there is about 3 Rh difference between the top (lower Rh) than the bottom. I have a lot of cigars in there and I think it blocks the air flow somewhat.
Do you have the NewAir 281?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk