What's new

Humidity still too high?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm wondering what % I should go to when I get to Georgia? @Boudie @Texican would 65% be right or 62%?
In storage I run 65 for NCs and 62 for Cubans then dry box for a couple of weeks at 62. Since I started keeping my office at 77 degrees and 58% with a room dehumidifier I just toss cigars on my desk until I'm ready to smoke them. Very few burn problems when smoking outside with 80% plus and jungle temps. I'm curious how similar Georgia climate is to SE Texas and S Louisiana. Parts of Georgia actually have 4 seasons

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm wondering what % I should go to when I get to Georgia? @Boudie @Texican would 65% be right or 62%?
My deal is...the RH in my humi always seems to hit like 2-4% higher than the Boveda packs. I don't think it's an issue of the RH inside the house because I certainly hope it isn't in excess of 65% lol. For me there are two issues: 1) the RH is already higher than I'd like at 68-69% and 2) as SOON as I take that stick outside into the rainforest-like humidity it just starts sucking up moisture. If the stick was only at 62% when I went outside, might be a different story.

Long story short...I think I prefer lower RH personally. Used to dry box but it got to be a pain.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So maybe 62% is the way to go. I guess I'd have to go down 68 to 65, and then down to 62 so I don't shock them?
In storage I run 65 for NCs and 62 for Cubans then dry box for a couple of weeks at 62. Since I started keeping my office at 77 degrees and 58% with a room dehumidifier I just toss cigars on my desk until I'm ready to smoke them. Very few burn problems when smoking outside with 80% plus and jungle temps. I'm curious how similar Georgia climate is to SE Texas and S Louisiana. Parts of Georgia actually have 4 seasons
Interesting. Sounds like I got big changes coming in my cigar world. We've been looking at dehumidifiers too.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey now, we have 4 seasons too @Boudie:

1) Summer
2) Super Duper Extreme Summer
3) Summer Lite
4) Diet Spring

Yea we call it

Hot and Wet,
Hot as Hell and Wet,
Hot, Wet and Windy
Cool and Wet

So maybe 62% is the way to go. I guess I'd have to go down 68 to 65, and then down to 62 so I don't shock them?

Interesting. Sounds like I got big changes coming in my cigar world. We've been looking at dehumidifiers too.

Central AC normally does a good job keeping the humidity in the house under control. In my office I have a window unit that pulls water that drains to the floor sometimes making a bit of a mess. The de-humidifier helps the window unit not work so hard and I am able to route the extra water to a sink drain.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Ga. Pretty near Atlanta. It's pretty humid here. I use bovedas and heartfelt beads. 62 for cc and 65 for nc. I really don't need to charge either that often. When it's hot my storage readings go up a little but stay within my preference. Will dry box when I plan ahead, but mostly my smokes burn well w/out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, you haven't lived until you've seen the forecast say "100 degrees, feels like 110, 80% humidity, Extreme UV Warning". Good times, good times.
Reminds me of working in Miami in September. The DJ comes on the radio at midnight and says, "The temperature is currently 97 degrees and the humidity is 97 percent." It was effing midnight. That ain't supposed to happen in late September.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yea but it was a dry heat :ROFLMAO:
In fairness, dry heat is another beast entirely that we from the tropical hellscape are ill-prepared for. Down here, as soon as you step outside, you immediately can tell that Mother Nature hates you and wants to dehydrate you to death, so you carry around water, Gatorade, an IV full of electrolytes, etc at all times which you use to hydrate. When I went to Vegas last July, it hit like 112 or something one day. Dry as a bone, so you don't immediately feel it. I remember stepping out of the car at Red Rock Canyon and thinking "Hah! That's all you got? 112 degrees ain't nothing without the humidity!" Hardly broke a sweat. Then less than ten minutes later I was like "I...think I have heatstroke. I might puke." :oops:

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I'm using 65% Bovedas in the humi, but RH is still going up as high as 71%, and some sticks are getting spongy and soft. I tried adjusting the temp up to 68 from 64 in the hopes that would help. Anyone have ideas on how to help lower RH?

@Rupe - I believe you mentioned kitty litter in my other post...seems like that might help when RH gets a bit out of control?
Kitty Litter has really helped me keep things stable, but I have never attempted to use it as a method of bringing humidity down.

From my experience, Boveda's tend to work rather slowly. I believe the rule of thumb is a change of 1% per week. It also depends on how many you are using as well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At 6:40 am it is 80 degrees with 85% a half hour walk with the dogs and I'm soaking wet trying to get a lung full of breathable air. We expect temps in the low to mid 90s all week, at least that will drop the humidity into the high 50s to low 60s.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
So you are saying you smoke a bunch of dope, burn incense to get rid of the smell then smoke a cigar and you wonder why your cigars taste like crap?

I've noticed the same issue with Brazilian Mata Fina aging strange. The DE Natural and Kentucky Fire Cured type cigars also seem to age amplifying the weird flavors they began with.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

I swear the last BOTL I smoked had a Worcestershire sauce taste too it that was overpowering. I'm thinking aging DE cigars may not be a great idea.
I don't think that most DE products age well. I also keep the few I have separate from my other cigars.