What's new

Humidor Customization

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a poor decision and bought an inexpensive humidor off amazon and after the humidity was inconsistent for a while I decided to check the seal, and found the push in hygrometer in the front of the box had almost not seal around. In an attempt to fix that, I ended up breaking the POS hygrometer. I took that as an opportunity to put a more personal touch on my humidor, and fix the seal for good. Special thanks to ilikefishes for sending me some Spanish cedar to make the wheel out of along with some good sticks. Not a real extravagant project, but I accidentally got some of the black sealant on the crest, and pewter is pretty soft, I was hoping someone would have a good solution to get it out other than picking it out with a sharp object. Thanks for any advice. (Far left is original pic I stole off google)

Capri_Glasstop_Amazon__65511_zoom.jpg IMG_20120515_100747.jpg IMG_20120521_235600.jpg IMG_20120521_235620.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its one of the those DAP tubes (Dynaflex 230). Its silicone based and odorless once it dries, according to the guy at the store. Couldn't find black anywhere else. Apparently black isn't commonly used so I had to get a huge tube of it.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Looks good!
For future reference you may want to consider caulk used for aquariums and marine use. It's great for humidors (where moisture is present) as it's mold free and non-toxic. Just my 2 cents!

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
That is a great looking upgrade! Very nice job...wish I had thought of that.

This isn't really going to help now, but when I was building houses, anytime silicone or other non-waterbased sealers were used (countertops for example) I used the blue painters tape on both surfaces to create very crisp clean lines. Water based was easy enough because a wet rag would give me the desired look, but silicone required a little more prep. To get a circle start with 1/8th inch then add a wider strip after you have created a nice edge. Then peel it back off before the sealant dries. Maybe that will help with future projects. Again GREAT looking upgrade as well as sweet!