What's new

Hunting

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Im sitting at my desk eating a bacon infused elk burger right now.. there is no better meat on earth..

The wife bagged a big elk cow 2 weeks ago.. we ended up with about 125lbs of meat in the freezer after we butchered, de-boned, etc..

Good luck with your hunt! hope you land a monster bull..

Attachments

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I am LOVING the cow Rhonda took a few weeks ago.. we got plenty of meat off of it.. and so far have made burgers with a couple of pounds from shanks we ground, about 4 lbs of jerky (about 2 lbs from a leg roast that we made into little steak strip type jerky.. and another 2 pounds from ground roast).. and we had some of the best kabobs I have ever eaten in my life last night that we made from one of the tenderloins..

Im not much of a trophy hunter.. you cant eat antlers or horns.... (although I know many/most hunters really dream about tagging an SCI gold medal buck/bull)..

I'm all about the meat.. if you take a nice 2-4 year old cow you will have some of the best, lean, organic protein on the planet to fill your freezer with.. good luck to you dude!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Got my first elk today with a .50cal muzzleloader. Snuck up on her and got her at about 40 yards, I was in a dense wooded area and she was in a small clearing with a bull. Nailed her right in the lungs, she made it about 5 yards before she dropped and I'm about the proudest I can ever remember.
Congrats BH. You capitalized on your opportunity and your life's history has another chapter. Thanks for sharing your success with us.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Got my first elk today with a .50cal muzzleloader. Snuck up on her and got her at about 40 yards, I was in a dense wooded area and she was in a small clearing with a bull. Nailed her right in the lungs, she made it about 5 yards before she dropped and I'm about the proudest I can ever remember.
So awesome. An elk hunt is on my bucket list. Live that u got it fine with a muzzy. Love my CVA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Awesome man. Congrats! One day I'll make it out west to hunt them. My buddy went out to Colorado in sept for archery. Didn't get anything but said it was a hell of an experience

Rating - 100%
95   0   0

That’s awesome... congrats!

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Awesome man. Congrats! One day I'll make it out west to hunt them. My buddy went out to Colorado in sept for archery. Didn't get anything but said it was a hell of an experience
Hunting this season was pretty poor, especially for archery. I know quite a few who didn't fill their tags this year.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hunting this season was pretty poor, especially for archery. I know quite a few who didn't fill their tags this year.
There were 5 of them in camp. Only one that had luck was the one that drew a muzzleloader tag. Got a smaller 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The Missouri deer gun season opens this Saturday (Nov 11th). My oldest son and I hunt together and have a great time regardless of success. Fact is, he has much better success than I. We went a month ago and set up our blinds and have stayed out since. I will be basically doe hunting, but a mature buck would also work. Let's see how it plays out, but I am excited for the experience.
I also have a new rifle and scope that I have much more confidence in than what I have been using.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Whitetail opened here last weekend.. Mule Deer opens on the 18th.. It doesnt look like I'm going to get to the deer woods until December though..

We're going after ducks this weekend (waterfoul opens on Saturday), then we're headed to Argentina next weekend (spending thanksgiving there) to do a high volume dove hunt and a couple of days of golden dorado fishing.. then I've got to spend some time on the east coast working.. I should make it to the deer woods the 2nd week of December.. and then will be doing a pheasant/quail combo hunt weekend just before Christmas..

Was trying to see if I could squeeze in a day or two for turkey before Christmas got here (would have loved to have roasted a wild turkey this year instead of a store bought one).. but I dont think I can make that happen..

Maybe we'll have duck and pheasant for Christmas dinner this year.. (hopefully) :)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
After a stressful move and what seems like forever I finally got to eat some of that cow elk I posted above. Pan fried a couple sirloin steaks that I fork tenderized. Turns out the tenderizing wasn't necessary but didn't hurt. Just some salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of garlic powder fried in some browned butter. Probably the best steak I can remember eating.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Opening day for ducks was yesterday in North TX.. We didnt bag the limit.. but there were enough birds to make it fun none the less.. Wife and I brought 7 mallards (4x drakes and 3x hens) home.. Ive got 2 of them marinading in a mix of red wine, olive oil, thyme, and basil now.. going to be having duck breast over rice tomorrow for dinner :)

This was the first time I've ever hunted ducks over flooded timber.. getting back there was a bitch.. but was a very cool experience and different than typical "blind" hunting over a pond or lake..

We were literally slogging through mud and water up about 6" over our knees at different points getting in and out of the area we were hunting..

Had a blast though.. cant wait to do it again..

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
IMG_2149.JPG Harvested my first ever deer this morning. I had planned on a doe. But this little old guy gave me a shot and I took it through hitting him in the front shoulder. He kicked and stumbled about 20' and collapsed. It is hard to see in the pic, but he had 3 brow tines on each side along with 2 points on each side of his beams for a total of 10 points. Shot was 266 yds. All of his top teeth were gone and the guys at the processing guessed him to be at least 6 years old and maybe more. He's not a monster but I am really happy with my first deer. A very humane kill on an animal well past his prime.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hunted this weekend in middle Georgia. Saw a handful of does and a number of smaller bucks. It appears the rut is in the early stages with the little deer pushing the does. We are headed back next weekend for a long weekend, hoping to hit the peak of rut in our area.