What's new

Hygrometer calibration

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I have been using the salt test for about 5 years, and I get good results. With the introduction of the Boveda pack from Humidipak, there will be no more salt tests for me. I have been using the 69% Boveda pack for my personal humidors and for business purposes. Just amazing results. Humidipak claims accuracy within a half a %, and they are not lying. I have checked and rechecked and tested and retested using expensive hygrometers that have been tested in certified labs. The Boveda pack is accurate. whether you have a $10 hygrometer, or a $300 hygrometer, the Boveda is what you should use to calibrate your hygrometers.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
will mail a couple paks to your business. get yourself a 5" x 6" clear kitchen canister.make sure it has a flip top lid with the clamp and the rubber gasket . you want a nice airtight seal. drop the 2 humidipaks in the canister along with a hygrometer. wait 12- 24 hours, and your done.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
RonC said:
will mail a couple paks to your business. get yourself a 5" x 6" clear kitchen canister.make sure it has a flip top lid with the clamp and the rubber gasket . you want a nice airtight seal. drop the 2 humidipaks in the canister along with a hygrometer. wait 12- 24 hours, and your done.
Hey thanks a bunch..can you do multipule units in the same test or can you do multipule test with the same humipak ??

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
2 humidipaks in that canister should last at least 6 months to a year. do one hygrometer at a time. you should be able to do at least a couple hundred tests. that enough for ya?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Where can one get these Ron? Are these the same humidipaks that I seem to be seeing in the latest shipments of 'gars I've been getting in? And are they all calibrated the same, i.e. 69%?

Thanks

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
fuente and Torano put them in their boxes to keep the cigars fresh during shipment. I believe they use the 70% paks. remember that the humidipaks are still good if they have a jelly like feel to them. once they start getting hard, they are no good. send me your address if you need a couple.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You are too kind Ron, I'll let you know. I believe I still have a few in my tupperdor from the last shipment I got in of Torano boxes. I'll check them to see if they still feel right. If not I'll shoot you a pm, I appreciate it. I'll have to pick up one of those kitchen jars. Big Ziploc no good, eh?

RonC said:
fuente and Torano put them in their boxes to keep the cigars fresh during shipment. I believe they use the 70% paks. remember that the humidipaks are still good if they have a jelly like feel to them. once they start getting hard, they are no good. send me your address if you need a couple.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I like the airtight kitchen cannisters. in an airtight container, the humidipaks will be accurate within a half %. That info is from the Humidipak company, and they are not kidding.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks so much for the humidipaks! I really do appreciate it. Now to track down a spare cannister...Can't wait to here what the wife has to say about that! :lol:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
:lol: Of course it figures that my wife gave away the canisters we had. Looks like I'll have to pick one up from Target.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
RonC said:
The fuente paks work well.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ron, for future reference, do these come in packs of a certain number? Or are the X$/pack. Checked the web site, wasn't sure and couldn't respond on the thread in the Retailer forum.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for Ron....

In an early thread you suggested to test only one hygro at a time. I have purchased 2 of the 2'fers of the Perfecto hygros and was going to test them in the matched pairs they came in using the Boveda packs. I was just curious as to the reasoning behind the single testing.

Thanks much,
Brian

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I had experienced slight differences in test results when testing a group of hygros as opposed to testing them one at a time. I dont know why, I could just be crazy. So I got in the habit of just testing one at a time. I know many knowledgable people who test hygros in batches, and the results are fine. Try it both ways, and let us know.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. I slipped an Extech hygro that was cal'd to 75%. I used a pouch from a Hemingway box. Came right up to 69 and change. I put a Perfecto in, it came up to 69. When I slipoped a second Perfecto in, they all read different

-MM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....

I just ordered a few of the 65% Boveda packs (they were out of the 69%) and will do the same thing with each matched set of the Perfectos. I have a "Cigar Jar" humidor that's doing nothing at the time so I will use that. I'll start off with the first one on it's own and see what it does. Once it stabilizes I'll drop in the matched one and watch the readings. Once they both stabilze I'll remove the first one. I'll do the same thing with the second pair I have.

I know...it's a tad anal but I guess it's just my engineering background coming out -

Brian