What's new

Hygrometer calibration

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Don't worry Brian, I'm here ot keep you company on the anal side. I'm retesting all of my Hygro's in a new air-tight canister I picked up with two 69% humidipaks inside. Taking notes on where each one is after 36-48 hours and then switching.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question in regards to the ambient temp in the "testing chamber".....

My lovely wife likes to keep the house in the 73-75 degree range however there is a room where I keep the vents closed. That room is right in the 55-57 temp range. The cabinet humi is in the main part of the house (I know, I know) and I was looking for opinons as to which would be the best place for the testing.

My thought process says to test the hygro in the same environment in which they will be living but I was also wondering if the lower temp would give a more accurate reading.

Any inputs?

Thanks,
Brian

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Actually Brian, I think you would have trouble in that 55-57 temp range. The 73-75 range is going to be where you want to be. Hell, my house stays in the 75-77 range from here until Winter rolls around again (the reason I'm so happy about the prospect of a coolerdor this year). I've noticed very little change in RH on my hygros while testing them, given time to settle even when the temps range from 70-75 degrees.

It just seems to me like you are going to have trouble keeping any real humidity up when dealing with the 55 temp range.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason....

After having my first cup of coffee this morning and actually getting my brain to function, I also started thinking about the lower temp and possible problems with maintaining a good RH in that environment.

Good to have others out there to slap me upside the head every now and again.

Brian

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The temp does play a big role in the RH you are able to maintain. When I moved my Vicksburg to the basement for a week the temps never got above 63 degrees. At that temperature it was rock steady at 63%. Sunday I moved it up to the dining room and the temp is constant at 68 degrees and the RH climbed back to the 65% level, right where it should be with my 65% beads.

I never changed a thing in side the humidor. I agree with the reccomendation to test them in the environment your humidor will be in.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hey Brian, how'd your tests work out? I've tested all my hygros with the humidipaks and now I've moved on to the salt test. I'll post my humidipak test results this evening just for the hell of it, and the salt test results once I'm done.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy....

Now you're askin' for it. I have created an Excel spreadsheet to track what I have done / am doing in regards to the Perfectos (where's the geek smilie when you need it?).....however it is on my home computer and I never transferred it my laptop (which I'm on right now). I will post it to the web tonight so you can see the progress. One thing I can say is that the readings between the first "matched pair" did NOT change by adding / removing a hygro during the tests. I have been allowing a 48 hr. time period between each change that I make. I have also been comparing these to my previously used Western Digital hygros that were in the humi. I just finished up with the first pair testing and placed the first Perfecto (#3) from the second pair into the "testing chamber" last night.

The speadsheet will explain it all.......well, in theory.

Brian

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I did 36-48 hours with mine and didn't see much of difference between those that went 36 or 48 hours. The 48 hour reading was always the same as the 36 hour. Doing the same with the salt test right now. Anybody know if more or less salt messes up the readings? I've read a Tablespoon of Salt, but I just poured some in to a cap until there seemed to be enough. I'm still early enough in the going that I can disregard the current test and replace the salt mixture, just don't know if I need to.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used a cap from a 2 liter bottle and filled it with salt. I then added a few drops of water and mixed it using a toothpick to make sure all the salt became moist. This was done using a quart sized mason jar as the "test chamber". It always seemed to work.

Brian

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nice set up Brian. Here's my slightly less anal version:

Sealed container with two 69% humidipaks
Perfecto 77 degrees 74%
Oregon 78 degrees 70%
RadioShack 75 degrees 71%
Thompsons 78 degrees 71%

Salt test ongoing

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, here's the salt test folks:

Perfecto 78 degrees 81%
Oregon 76 degrees 78%
Thompson 73 degrees 77%
Radioshack 77 degrees 77%

Not sure what was up with my perfecto...sucker just reads high. The Oregon threw me as well. +1% on the humidipak and +3% on the Salt test. Weird.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is this like a bag that I throw my hygrometer into or am I going to have to find an airtight cannister and throw them both in there?