What's new

Hygrometer calibration

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Nice zip-lock baggie with the packet inside. Put your hygrometer inside and let it sit for 36 hours. The packet has the instructions, but I found that 24 hours was not quite enough. After 36 hours, the reading was perfect and stayed that way. USPS said you would have it by today, but now I am guessing, tomorrow?

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm sure it will take longer than just tomorrow. My humi isn't even here yet and it says that it shipped from NJ on the 22. I'm just impatient. I'll keep you all up to date on this humidity problem.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually...funny thing. It was dry out the other day and so I left the desktop open and the rh went down to 60 when I closed the box and it is still only up to 65 after 2 days. So I'm still waiting to see what happens when I test it and I'm going to put my beads in the oven if it gets to a high rh in there again.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I put my hygrometer in the humidipak for 36 hours. The pack said to keep it between 65-75 degrees Farenheit. The problem is that the temperature in my house fluctuates a lot.

What I've been seeing is that the humidity is fluctuating in the bag with the temperature. The thing is that when the temp went down, the rh would go down sometimes and up sometimes. I left it in there for 36 hours and it was reading something like 80%rh @ 60ish degrees.

So I kept the hygrometer in there and turned on the heat at around 4pm today. Tried to keep the temperature around 70 degrees. I have kept it around 70 degrees for about 6 or so hours now and it's presently reading 79% @ 69.6 degrees. It's been around those numbers for hours. The pak is a 75%, by the way.

Now when I had my hygrometer in my humidor, before I tested it in the pak, it was reading between 67-70% without much fluctuation. I have 65% beads. Those of you with 65% beads...do they hold the rh at a rock steady 65?

Any input?

ps- just looked over at it and now it's reading 78% @ 68.4 degrees.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If you can keep it steady temp wise for a day you should get a general idea. But it sounds like your reading 3-4% high.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's in my humidor right now with 65% beads and it's reading 68% so I think you're right. Is that something to take up with the person I bought it from or is it just something to deal with?

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
thebigo said:
It's in my humidor right now with 65% beads and it's reading 68% so I think you're right. Is that something to take up with the person I bought it from or is it just something to deal with?
You can go either way. A lot of people just mark them with a + or - and the % difference so that they know what the actual reading is.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Are you talking about the hygro or the humi? Humi: either way, up to you. Hygro: the all vary, just mark it +/- and leave it at that.