What's new

"I can't believe it's not Cuban"

jbizzle

jb
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Definitely the Epernay.

I had one Epernay that I swear coulda been a Hoyo Epi 2. I mean I could have put down one of each blind, made a grab, and never been able to tell the difference.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
For me the first was the Illusione Eccj but it had just a bit too much power. Other then that definitely the Curivari (also one I can guess blind!)
Smoked my last eccj yesterday and it was quite nice with peanut, tea and graham cracker notes. Flavors I also find in ccs, but NCs all seem to have an acidic edge to them (to me at least) that I don't find in ccs, plus they're a little bit harsher in the olfactories.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
haven't heard of a few cigars mentioned... curavari? as for the eperny's,,, never thought about cuban. more like '4 course meals!' full flavored without the full body!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I don't get that from the Phantom - but I DO get that from the Epernay line - particularly the box-pressed La Monde. It really reminds me of Bolivar. Something in the La Riqueza line reminds me of RyJ also.

Nokidn

It is what it is
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(IMHO) The Epernay LaFerme & Four Kicks robusto
remind me of this. But regardless of origin- they are
very nice smokes with fantastic flavor.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I would have to say that of the 4-5 Monte Pascoal Minuto's that I have smoked recently, all have given me that same feeling. I have not had any other sizes, so those are up for debate, but those small Corona cigars are freakin wonderful.
To me, the Elogio is not something I think of as displayng complete Cubanesque profile, but once again it could be about the size you have had. I am a huge fan of the Elogio LSV Corona Extra; top 10 this year for me.
Good topic btw, love reading the responses on this.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Seeing that I just finished smoking one....I would say that the Guillermo Leon has some similarities too....CG size at least.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
For me the closest to CC's in NC' would be some of the older Pepin made stuff. I find them much like CC's in that young the don't always work for me but put 5+ years of age on them and the have developed into something completely different.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
For me the closest to CC's in NC' would be some of the older Pepin made stuff. I find them much like CC's in that young the don't always work for me but put 5+ years of age on them and the have developed into something completely different.
Yea, I had a DPG Black this year that had about 4-years on it ... wow. I bought some more after that to put down for a while.

The My Father gets MUCH better with age too. I have a couple left from the original release, and they are just amazing now. Fresh, I really don't get much out of them, with the exception of the Lancero. But I bought more of the robustos to put down for a long rest.

I have some Tat Unicos from '08 and those are much smoother now. Although I miss the spice, they are definitely more "Cubanesque" now.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I had an awesome RASS last week, still had the spice but it was creamy and full of that wonderful dried fruit flavor. It reminded me a lot of an aged Opus X.

I think the only reason I don't think of the Opus X as being similar to Cubans is the amount of strength it has. But flavor-wise, it's up there, imvho.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may just be me, and I've had this conversation with the owner of the local B&M but two sticks I can think of that remind me of a CC if not actually having Cuban tobacco on the sly would be:

Graycliff Double Espresso
Buena Vista

And I don't know if Jean 'The Ambassador' from Graycliff was just being Jean, but later on in the evening at an event he alluded to the Double Espresso posssibly having that tobacco.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
It may just be me, and I've had this conversation with the owner of the local B&M but two sticks I can think of that remind me of a CC if not actually having Cuban tobacco on the sly would be:

Graycliff Double Espresso
Buena Vista

And I don't know if Jean 'The Ambassador' from Graycliff was just being Jean, but later on in the evening at an event he alluded to the Double Espresso posssibly having that tobacco.
I love the Double Espresso. I don't see it being Cuban-like really, but it's a great smoke. I'm sure Jean was referring to using seeds from Cuba (which most do these days). Though many in the industry have said that if some manufacturers were using some cuban tobacco in their cigars, there would be no way of catching them. But I think that's just urban myth, it would be cost-prohibitive to continually smuggle tobacco out.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Yeah I don't see any advantage in NC producers using Cuban tobacco. It would be expensive to import, unreliable, and you can't tell your customers it's in there (so no marketing advantage). Plus the Castro regime doesn't give its tobacco to other producers to use.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Yeah I don't see any advantage in NC producers using Cuban tobacco. It would be expensive to import, unreliable, and you can't tell your customers it's in there (so no marketing advantage). Plus the Castro regime doesn't give its tobacco to other producers to use.
You sure about this? Cuba exports raw tobacco all the time. There is one store here in Canada that has a roller that uses Cuban tobacco. As far as I was told by some people fairly high up in Habanos Cuba exports lots of filler tobacco just no Ligero or wrapper tobacco.

There are also quite a few Dutch made cigars available here that use Cuban tobacco. Some Villiger and Neos are the 2 that we carry that use it.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
For me, the Julius Caesar by AF tasted VERY reminiscent of a Cuban. I even commented on that while smoking one, as b2 can atest. The cigar had a very mild, but flavourful taste. I would compare it to a mild RyJ perhaps.

Great threat btw!