What's new

"I can't believe it's not Cuban"

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure about this? Cuba exports raw tobacco all the time. There is one store here in Canada that has a roller that uses Cuban tobacco. As far as I was told by some people fairly high up in Habanos Cuba exports lots of filler tobacco just no Ligero or wrapper tobacco.

There are also quite a few Dutch made cigars available here that use Cuban tobacco. Some Villiger and Neos are the 2 that we carry that use it.

Posted via Mobile Device
True , there are a fair amount of manufacturers in Germany who blends Cuban leaf with Sumatra etc in there cigars and they are nice sticks , just not strong enough IMHO compared to Habanos sticks.

As to the Eparney line , Le Ferme once reminded me of PLPC , but ,,, I guess you have convinced me to give the Phantom a try Nate :hammersma

But still IMHO , NCs just has to find ways to express different then CCs .
I personally love the Panamanians being a contrast to the CCs.

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
601 Macho and Casa Fuego. Both have the look of a Cuban and both have a very rich flavor profile that could be tricky in a blind taste test.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Yea, I think the Epernay line is a perfect example as well. Every time I smoke those I think, "I need send these out to my Habanos-only friends!" Again, it doesn't "taste like a Cuban" in a particular sense, but I think that guys who like Habanos would probably really like the Epernay (and Singulare Phantom).

There is a very short list of cigars like this for me. Others would be the La Aurora 100 Anos and CAO Vision (which are basically the same cigar), My Father, and the Tatuaje Noella, maybe the EL Triunfador #6. There are others that I'd call Cubanesque in truth, but I don't think they'd fool you, so to speak.
Nailed it, the Epernay has always translated well for me, problem is the cost. For the price of an Ep I can get 2 CC's with just as much flavor. If the La Ferme were cheaper I would smoke them every day!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys, my birthday is Dec 5th and you have just made up my mind as to what I am getting myself! :)
now, what are your recommendations on the Curivari? I see several different blends?

Thanks!

Also, add me on the Illusione lover list! I had my first about 2 weeks ago and bought 3 boxes the next day! They are AWESOME smoke!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Very biased, self serving reply: Dirty Rat

STS
Prez, DE
Have to wait and see on these really. Young I find them way to bold in both flavour in body to be close to anything Cuba puts out. Not saying that in a bad way in any way shape or form but maybe they just need more time to age into something cubanesque. I have some set aside to figure out

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Interesting timing on this thread. I picked up a Casa Fernandez Agonorsa Leaf from my local B&M the other day and while smoking it I thought, dare I say this has a little "twang" to it? So I went back yesterday and grabbed a couple more. I'll see what they give me tonight!:cbig:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Have to wait and see on these really. Young I find them way to bold in both flavour in body to be close to anything Cuba puts out. Not saying that in a bad way in any way shape or form but maybe they just need more time to age into something cubanesque. I have some set aside to figure out
Agreed...I found them to be edgy...Can't wait to try them again after some rest.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Interesting timing on this thread. I picked up a Casa Fernandez Agonorsa Leaf from my local B&M the other day and while smoking it I thought, dare I say this has a little "twang" to it? So I went back yesterday and grabbed a couple more. I'll see what they give me tonight!:cbig:
Excellent cigar! One of my favorites.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
This may sound funny, but a perdomo conneticut "cuban bullet 2.0 robusto"
had very cubanesque flavors when I smoked it last year. My brother discovered
it first, let me smoke a few puffs, then i lit my own! Don't know what nick put in those sticks, but it was awesome.

I don't really know if this qualifies as a cuban profile or not, Esencia 2008 Petite Corona's have some awesome flavors! To me, the handful that i've smoked have a "beany" & "musky" flavor to them.

I will say that the new blend of the Curivari Reserva 1000 Torp has great flavors, but i wouldn't say Cuban. I'd say "illusionish" :smokingbo

Also the 601 Black Rabito! (if you can find them!) What an awesome smoke!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Smoking my first Curviari right now ... Gloria de Leon Promiente. Great stick so far (1/3 in). Very unique flavors, not sure how to really categorize this. The profile does remind me a bit of a Cuban so far with it's sweetness and floral notes, but the tobacco itself doesn't taste Cuban at all of course.

Honestly, I'm wondering if these are maybe slightly infused ... just a really unique aroma (when cold and smoking) that kind of reminds me of Smarties (yep). Not a bad thing if they are slightly infused (I love the Anejo!). At this point I'm probably going to pick up some Robustos if the rest of this cigar is as good as it's been so far.