What's new

I did it

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
:thinkidea OHHHHH, you were looking for something more along the lines of a PLPC then. It's creamy enough to hold up to the acidity of the Harrar, but not so strong as to overpower the underlying fruit flavors...... :wink:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
:thinkidea OHHHHH, you were looking for something more along the lines of a PLPC then. It's creamy enough to hold up to the acidity of the Harrar, but not so strong as to overpower the underlying fruit flavors...... :wink:
That's what I'm talking about, brother! :applause:

I don't have a PLPC, but that's ok. Someday I might, and I'll remember that Dan said it goes good with the harrar coffee.

Either that, or I'll remember something about Havanas, honey and horsehair... what I might put together from that is a scary thought. :wtf:

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Actually, I've found that cigars made with Connecticut Broadleaf wrappers or binders don’t mix well with coffee for me. The metallic/mineral taste clashes with the acidity of the coffee.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Séamas;152283 said:
Actually, you could answer my questions specific to the one-way valve bags. Do they do a better job of keeping beans fresh than standard air-tight containers?

Most people, including you, say that beans are best within a couple weeks after roasting. I noticed that the roast dates on these bags are about a week ago, and so I wondered if there would be any significant degradation if I didn't use them all up for another two weeks or so?
Sorry to take so long to respond to your post. I saw it earlier this evening just as I was heading out for a few hours.

I, and many people with more experience than me, do believe that coffee is best if used within two weeks or so after roasting. After that the flavors will begin to degrade and the oils begin to stale. That is not to say that the coffee has suddenly turned stale, but rather that the flavors are beginning to deteriorate to a degree that becomes noticeable to those with a more refined palate. Many people aren't able to tell the difference at this point but as time goes on it becomes much more apparent.

Oxidation is the primary culprit, so reducing the amount of oxygen that fresh roasted coffee is exposed to will keep them fresher longer.
As you know, I use heavy foil bags with a one-way valve. I do feel that these are better than a standard airtight container in that once the beans are sealed inside, the majority of the air is squeezed out when I fold the top down close to the beans. Further, I believe that the off-gassing of the beans forces the remaining oxygen out through the one-way valve over the next couple days. Also, all of my coffee is packaged right after cooling so all of the off-gassing is done in the bag.

I've done some experimenting with my bags here and have been pleasantly surprised at how much flavor has been retained even after more than a month after roast. There was definitely some change but not as much as I'd expected.

My self imposed guidelines are to not sell any coffee locally that's more than two weeks past roast and to try to keep any shipped coffees at a week or less since we already lose a few days in transit. At some point in the future I'd like to do all roasting to order but to try to do that now would be nearly impossible.

Long story, short. I think you'll be fine if you don't get to all your coffee for a couple weeks. :glassesgr

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Long story, short. I think you'll be fine if you don't get to all your coffee for a couple weeks. :glassesgr
Thanks, Brian, I appreciate it.

Actually, I'll probably drink it all in two or three days, but was wondering anyway. :cool:

One more question (whenever you get to it, I'm in no hurry):

Do you have any plans to sell green beans in the future?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I meant to add this to my previous post.

Starbucks believes you can store roasted beans in the same type of bag that I use for 9-12 months. I don't agree with that.

I also check out other roasting companies whenever I get a chance. Most around these parts don't date their bags at all so the coffee sits on the shelf until it sells. One regional roaster does date theirs but they say "best if used within 90 days". Again, I can't agree with that.

On the green beans, I probably will offer them in the future. As my volume increases I'll start getting larger quantities of the more unique coffees and will probably begin offering green beans at that point.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
On the green beans, I probably will offer them in the future. As my volume increases I'll start getting larger quantities of the more unique coffees and will probably begin offering green beans at that point.

Awesome.

I see a popcorn popper in my future.

Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You probably can keep Starbucks beans in those bags for a year. After all, charcoal doesn't go bad, does it?