What's new

I don't usually do this.....

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
So they offered me the job, orientation starts 5/29 (my wedding anniversary btw), but based on my friend who just started this week, he doesn't think I would get more than 1 day a week for the 1st month (which is obviously not going to work for me & my family) then MAYBE 2 days a week the next month then after that I would see more hours.

I was afraid something like this would happen, and that it was too good to be true. I have a job, and make decent $, I hate the job, but it pays the bills, and I have some seniority (this November I will get my 2 weeks vacation).

My friend is going to give me postmaster's phone # & info, he said that he is a straight shooter and would probably appreciate me reaching out to him about my concerns, so I believe I will call him and see what I can fish out of him.

So, even though it's my dream job, it just doesn't sound like a smart move for me to accept this job.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hope you can find a way to make it work. I never had a job I liked and was good at that came easy. If its what you really want maybe you can find another part time job while waiting on the hours at the post office. You also have 2 weeks paid vacation that will help bide you over.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I hope you can find a way to make it work. I never had a job I liked and was good at that came easy. If its what you really want maybe you can find another part time job while waiting on the hours at the post office. You also have 2 weeks paid vacation that will help bide you over.
Thanks man, I have a PT job already at the cigar shop, but those hours aren't enough either, I only 2-3 days a week, and it's only feasible to me if I work weekends (longer hours & better tips usually).

I won't get my 2 weeks until November, so if I quit not gonna get em. I would love for this to work out, but something keeps telling me not to do it. (fate/premonition?)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Apprehension about quiting a sure thing and taking a chance? It's tough when you have responsibilities but you are talking about a decision that you may look back on with regret.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Apprehension about quiting a sure thing and taking a chance? It's tough when you have responsibilities but you are talking about a decision that you may look back on with regret.
I know man, but something just keeps telling not to do it, I'm not making any decisions yet, until I speak to the postmaster and of course my wife, but I just don't know.........it may be the whole change thing, new job, different environment jitters ya know? Maybe I will speak to him and he will tell me not to worry about it, that I will work 6 days a week, blah blah blah and all will be good, or he may tell me look bro, it's not gonna work for you.......I just don't know right now. I just wanted to give peeps an update.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I hope it all works out for you, brother. This has been an emotional roller coaster just watching it from the sidelines so I can't even begin to imagine what it's doing to you. That being said, I know you'll make the wise decision for you and your family. I'm only 35 but I have found that my gut is/was right about 90% of the time. Even though my heart tells/told me something different.

Regardless, I'm here if you need to vent or talk things through. No matter the outcome, I'm proud of you, buddy! (y)

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I hope it all works out for you, brother. This has been an emotional roller coaster just watching it from the sidelines so I can't even begin to imagine what it's doing to you. That being said, I know you'll make the wise decision for you and your family. I'm only 35 but I have found that my gut is/was right about 90% of the time. Even though my heart tells/told me something different.

Regardless, I'm here if you need to vent or talk things through. No matter the outcome, I'm proud of you, buddy! (y)
Thanks mang,

So update: I called them and spoke to a guy there (NOT the head postmaster, or the 2nd in charge either), but I decided to ask some questions anyway, so it turns out that they have enough workers atm, but 2 weeks ago they only had 4, so there is a good possibility I would only work 1 day a week, BUT he said the 2nd in charge may have a plan for me, so he took my info and said he would have her call me tomorrow, or I could call her (which is what I will do).......so again, no decision has been made.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Post Office sent me a "conditional job offer" Meaning they have to do a background & drug test. I spoke with the wife, and we are going ahead and taking the gamble. I accepted the position, now it could be another 2 months before I am officially hired. In that time Anthem could call, and I'll be honest, I'll probably take that job...............................here's to the post office not dragging their feet though, keep the ju ju coming fellas, and thanks for pulling for me.
Really happy to hear this Mick @irratebass! I wish you all the best of luck! It's always great to hear about good things happening to good people, best of all a great brother like yourself. Congrats on the offer and the next step in your life!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's a tough decision. I was unemployed for the first time in m,y career when I had to make it. I was offered a temp to hire position and told it would never be over 6 hours a day. Long story short, I took the job and now I work from home, 40 hours a week plus over time if I need it. Things have a way of working out.

Good Luck!

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Well everyone I have decided not to accept the position. I gave this a lot of thought. I met someone this weekend who works for the p.o. doing the same exact thing I would be doing. She loves it, she's been doing it since last October. She gave me the pros & cons and helpful tips, and my mind was pretty much made up after speaking to her that I was going to take this job.

So, I get home on Friday, and I decided to do some more research online, and I came across about 4-5 different websites where people are giving the pros & cons, and the one deciding factor I forgot about........NO BENEFITS! Also this could be a pt gig for YEARS to DECADES, some people are still doing this pt job after 7 years!

Sorry, in the words of Hall & Oates "I can't go for that" so I spoke to the wife, and told her I just can't do it, it's too risky.....again I hate my current job, but it's stable, and pays the bills. I sent them my decline email this morning.

Thanks all for the good ju ju, but this just isn't the right decision for me or my family.