What's new

I hate this cutter!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only person who has an issue with the Xikar style Colibri cutters? Tonight at Stix in Michigan I ruined and I mean RUINED a RP Vintage 1990 because of this cutter. I've also ruined a Gran Puro with it. I'm really starting to have a passionate hate for this style of cutter and especially this cutter in particular. In the link below the person seems to think it performs just fine. Maybe I need to buy a punch or something.... I'm done venting :disappoin

http://stogielife.com/2009/10/firebird-cigar-cutter/

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How is it ruining them? What is happening to the cigar? Details might help in the diagnosis. Maybe it's just a defective cutter, maybe it's just a matter of being dull...or maybe you are doing something wrong (not saying you are).

Details...

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I's very fustrating to ruin a cigar on the cut for sure!
First of all if it's an Xikar product you can send it in with your complaint and if there's an issue with the cutter being defective, they will take care of you without cost and that is for as long as you own any Xikar product. To me it sounds as if the cutter is dull but as Nic said in the above post detail of how it's cutting and when the damage occures on the cut. Here is my way of cutting...
I always moisten the head of the cigar just a little. Just moisten do not get it wet. Then I give it a few seconds and proceed with the cut. I always look for the cap if possible but if it's a Torp I just cut around 3/8's.
Hold the cigar FIRMLY and line my cutter up where I want it. I slowly push the cutter blades barely into the wrapper and then snip quickly. If it's a sharp blade it shouldn't matter how you prefer to cut but it should do it's job without any harm to the cigar.
I think either the blade is somewhat dull or you are twisting on your cut a little. Either of these will tear the wrapper on the cigar.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I received that very cutter at Cigar Fest 2010. It doesn't give you a crisp, clean cut. Instead, it kind of tears through the cigar. It says the blades are self sharpening -- Ha! It's not sharp at all. It's a piece of junk and I only keep it because it says Cigar Fest on it. It will never be used to cut a cigar again; I'll stick with my Xikar which always gives me a crisp, clean cut.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Colibri cutters.....enough said. Didn't the lighter side go out of business because of crap construction? My suggestion is to get a palio or xikar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, sorry about posting this in the wrong section blame it on the cognac. I start my cuts by moistening the cap just a little bit like a few here have said. I then place the cigar in the cutter, rest the blades on the cigar and then I close the blades with a quick movement and the blade just got stuck half way through the cigar and tore the heck out of everything it did cut. It did this to the other large cigar I tried too... maybe it's me who knows.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I have a few cutters around, but my Palio has never let me down. Worth every penny. I do have one of those Liga #9 'perfect cutters' that's great for on the go cigar clipping. Really handy for a cigar in the truck, or when you hand someone a cigar and they are questionable on how to properly cut it.

ericdriscoll

CRA Ambassador #175966
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Colibri cutters.....enough said. Didn't the lighter side go out of business because of crap construction? My suggestion is to get a palio or xikar.
Right on. I have had their pricier lighters given to me as gifts and they worked right ONCE. IMO not quality products. Some look nice in style but durability I have found to be terrible. I would stick with Palio or Xikar as Xikar stands by their products. I have both by the way and enjoy them.

Last edited:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
As others have said, Colibri makes crap products, imho.

I would never spend a penny on anything made by Colibri. Trade your cutter in for a Palio and never look back.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The other half of the problem I see is that the RP 1990, in my experience, has a fairly fragile wrapper/cap. I noticed I was tearing mine even with my xikar. I tend to use a punch on my 1990/1992 now.

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other half of the problem I see is that the RP 1990, in my experience, has a fairly fragile wrapper/cap. I noticed I was tearing mine even with my xikar. I tend to use a punch on my 1990/1992 now.

Regards,
Randy
Could be possible, but I shredded a Punch Gran Puro with this cutter too.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Am I the only person who has an issue with the Xikar style Colibri cutters? Tonight at Stix in Michigan I ruined and I mean RUINED a RP Vintage 1990 because of this cutter. I've also ruined a Gran Puro with it. I'm really starting to have a passionate hate for this style of cutter and especially this cutter in particular. In the link below the person seems to think it performs just fine. Maybe I need to buy a punch or something.... I'm done venting :disappoin

http://stogielife.com/2009/10/firebird-cigar-cutter/
Yep, the one I reviewed there worked well for me. :glassesgr

It was very sharp, but definitely not my best cutter and I don't use it that often, but I've got probably 10 cutters. I tend to fidget with my cutters and I'd sit and flick it open over and over and the screws worked loose on it. If it's ruined a couple cigars I'd definitely get another cutter.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
unfortunately, when it comes to cutters, you get what you pay for. :angryteet
I disagree, there are $100 cutters out there that won't do half the job of a $30 palio. I XiKar X1 is good, but doesn't fit my hand well. Both $30, AND I'll never pay more than that again...ever.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Going on almost 2 years of a Palio. Used everyday on average 3x a day. Get a Palio and be done w it Imo.