What's new

If this happens I am becoming a Vegie

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
I don't want to be a dick... But... Why?what's wrong with eating horse as opposed to ANY other animal that we kill for food? I mean, if all of the meat is inspected, clean and safe, I don't see the problem... We eat goats, cows, lambs, sea life, birds, hell, snakes... why not horses?

I know that horses are romanticized and made "above eating", but WHY? What's wrong with adding another animal to the menu if it is done humanely, safely and cleanly?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't want to be a dick... But... Why?what's wrong with eating horse as opposed to ANY other animal that we kill for food? I mean, if all of the meat is inspected, clean and safe, I don't see the problem... We eat goats, cows, lambs, sea life, birds, hell, snakes... why not horses?

I know that horses are romanticized and made "above eating", but WHY? What's wrong with adding another animal to the menu if it is done humanely, safely and cleanly?
I agree 100%....The only reason it seems weird is because horses are known as domesticated animals.

I for one will pony (heh no pun intended) up to the table and give it a taste...It's it's good i'll eat it, if not I tired...You only live once right?

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I agree 100%....The only reason it seems weird is because horses are known as domesticated animals.

I for one will pony (heh no pun intended) up to the table and give it a taste...It's it's good i'll eat it, if not I tired...You only live once right?
Yup. I'm a fairly adventurous eater. There isn't much I won't try. I only really draw the line at insects, but I'd try grubs or worms or something I guess.

I'm actually hoping I get the chance to try this, just to say I have. BTW, kangaroo is frigan tasty. :drool:

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Yeah I can see both sides of this. Horses have been granted "pet" status here in the states, which makes it a bit weird to eat. But then again, I have a neighbor who walks a chicken...so pet status should be taken with a pinch of salt.

from what i hear, horse meat tastes great, a bit stringy, but great.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah I will draw the line at insects as well...But also i'm not going to starve to death either....If it came down to it...I'd flip a log and go grubbin...

same for my dog too...I love her, but on the Grill she'd go if it was life or death.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Yeah I will draw the line at insects as well...But also i'm not going to starve to death either....If it came down to it...I'd flip a log and go grubbin...

same for my dog too...I love her, but on the Grill she'd go if it was life or death.
You guys ever have chocolate ants? Or deep fried grasshoppers? They are actually really good!

Just as long as you dont let the idea of it freak you out

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Not for me. Dog, Cat, Horse, etc. not currently an option.

That said, from a macroeconomic standpoint, I do think that at some point in the future (could be hundreds of years away), beef will become a delicacy for even the developed nations, and there may be substitutes for a period of time. I'd be curious to read the article and see what other info is out there as to the motivation.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
actually, i think there is a tradition in france of serving horse meat.

personally, if you can wrestle it to the ground and kill it, it counts as food. myself included.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
They're ANIMALS. For the most part... animals = food.

I've eaten cows, buffalo, horses, turkeys, snakes, alligators chickens, frogs, dogs (yes, dog - was a delicacy when I lived in Korea called "kegogi"), goats, ducks, elk, raindeer, sharks, geese, all sorts of fish/seafood, doves, tons of insects, rabbits, lambs, pigs, pigeons, ostriches, snails, and probably more formerly living creatures that I just can't think of right now...

I ONLY draw the line at humans (unless we're stranded on a remote freezing mountain top - Trevor goes first - more meat. :grin:).
+1 to all this, save the last part...

I've considered eating the people in the car with me upon discovering the late-night drive-thru was "cash only" after 2 a.m.

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
If it bleeds it can be eaten. Kill it cook it and put it on a stick, and I'm on it. had to get a hepatitis shot before we went to Costa Rica, because I knew if a street vendor had meat on a stick...i was gonna try it. And I did. Not sure what all of it was, but it was tasty