What's new

If you had to start all over again, what would you do?

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ha, I do like that idea. and that was why i asked if i was looking at a cooler and a wine thing for the same price, what would be better. tried to take the money out of it just to see the pros/cons.

I guess its time to start looking at coolers...

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ha, I do like that idea. and that was why i asked if i was looking at a cooler and a wine thing for the same price, what would be better. tried to take the money out of it just to see the pros/cons.

I guess its time to start looking at coolers...
$100 won't buy you much of a wine cooler, unless you score on Craigslist. $30 for a cooler would net at least 3x the storage. I've got a wineador, btw. Not much room for boxes at all

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$100 won't buy you much of a wine cooler, unless you score on Craigslist. $30 for a cooler would net at least 3x the storage. I've got a wineador, btw. Not much room for boxes at all
See, thats where I needed help. In my old wino, all I had were loose because of working in the local shop. I didnt buy in bulk (at least not solid boxes, would get samplers and such) and with my current situation, I probably wont be getting boxes this time around either. So I didnt see space as much as an issue.

Heres a good one: are you using the cooler flat or stood on end?

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'm low tech when it comes to storage. More gadgets and electronics to me mean a greater chance something is gonna get screwed up and ruin my smokes. Or at the very least more to break and need to be fixed. I got into humidors first and wasted about $150-200 on those before I found coolers. My coolers hold humidity extremely well and due to having a basement stay a constant 65-68 degrees year round.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm low tech when it comes to storage. More gadgets and electronics to me mean a greater chance something is gonna get screwed up and ruin my smokes. Or at the very least more to break and need to be fixed. I got into humidors first and wasted about $150-200 on those before I found coolers. My coolers hold humidity extremely well and due to having a basement stay a constant 65-68 degrees year round.
See that is my concern. My place is between 70-75, depending on the time of year. Im doing a bit of research now to figure just what would do me best, Im budgeting $100 to get a base (new cooler or used wino). Even if I dont use the cooling function of the wino I know itll hold RH well.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
See that is my concern. My place is between 70-75, depending on the time of year. Im doing a bit of research now to figure just what would do me best, Im budgeting $100 to get a base (new cooler or used wino). Even if I dont use the cooling function of the wino I know itll hold RH well.
It looks like you have already made up your mind

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
If you're not going to use the cooling function of the wino then go with a cooler. Wino's don't really hold that much to be honest. If you are going to use the cooling function then certainly go the wino route, but also make sure it's thermoelectric cooling.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you have already made up your mind

Yeah I know it seems that way, but it really isnt or I wouldnt have asked! Im really trying to figure out what would be best so Im not buying a dozen things and throwing money away. As we speak (or type) Im going thru the whole coolidor thread, and trying to find pics of them in use. I think that would be most beneficial, as I can get an idea of how yall are making them work (dont worry, Ill find pics on my own eventually.)

I think what I was looking for was a clear cut "X" is better because _________ reply. Unfortunately theres a few mitigating factors at play like temps that have me on the fence still (because if it were just up to price and both functioned the same, cooler would probably win, altho the big coolers are pricier than the winos ive been seeing for sale...) And theres a bunch of little questions I have that I will eventually find answers to by lookin

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You don't need thermoelectric cooling if you use well sealed Tupperware. Multiple Tupperware and/or coolers allow you to maintain different humidity levels and can be expanded as your stash grows. Cheap ice chests tend to leak but a couple layers of wax paper under the lid helps maintain steady humidity on the cigars. Nice thing about a wine cooler is that your cigars are on display. I'm not sure they make the best use of available space but I think it would be a nice addition to your office or den, unless your new girlfriend comments on how many cigars you have, constantly.

I'd go with the cheapest storage route that meets your needs and start buying cigars. Tupperware and coolers can always be repurposed as your needs change. You will have sticks you want to rest for several months so they should be purchased now

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Question is: if I were to have a $100 bill in my hand looking at a new cooler or used a wine cooler, which would be better? As far as I can tell, the wine cooler would, altho the interior space may not be as great but you have lighting, glass front, and probably the better seal of the 2, plus cooling if needed
Why the wine cooler is better? Who cares about lighting or a glass front? Those two item are aesthetic. OK, maybe you need the light to look in the cooler, but I'd expect it to be in a lighted area anyway. As for the seal, maybe it is better, I do not know, cooler are intended to keep cold in an warm out..

Also, what happens when the power goes out.?

Thanks, and why the cooler if temps werent an issue? is it just about price?
I live in the great north, we have some wild swings from -20 in the winter all the way up in the 100s in the summer. The temperature in my home stays pretty even, I would guess yours does too. My cooler stays in the basement where the temp is the most steady. Humidity in the basement has the greatest fluctuation.

The cooler has a great seal, and even though the temp is regulated decently, there is always a 4-8 degree swing in temperature every time the heater or A/C kicks on, and a cooler keeps that temp constant. What is really nice though, is that the humidity fluctuation seems not to bother the cooler at all.

And yes, price was a big factor to me, as was amount of storage. On pastor's salary, I always have to watch the coin. $200 on cigars & $60 on a cooler? or $260 on a wine cooler (a cheapie one, which will have mechanical failure at some point - a cooler won't).

Like I tell people, the only person you need to make happy about this and live with, is you.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd skip cigars and go straight to pipes.

HAHA, thats a slippery slope in and of itself! I came back to cigars from pipes, and the reason I have any sticks currently is a trade I made for a few of my pipes and all my tobacco. Ive seen how "bad" pipe cellars can be!

Yeah, in looking at it even if I went with a cheap used wino im looking at $100ish, and I've seen 150qt coolers for $20 (used). So Im going to see what I can scrounge up regarding that and go from there I guess. Figure Ill buy beads soon, I know Ill never fill the cooler but itll be nice to have space.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could have foreseen the development of my cigar acquisition syndrome, I would have started off with a large winecooler or one of those large cabinet humidors than messing around with multiple desktop humidors. I lnow coolidors are the way to go in terms of bulk storage, I just need something nice to look at though.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Keep your long rest stuff at 70% in coolidors and a nice desktop humidor with stuff your ready to smoke at 65%. If you find you like the way cigars smoke after a while at lower humidity

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Not sure I would start over tbh. If for some reason I 'had' to, I think I would become a much more casual cigar smoker and only enjoy them occasionally. I love cigars, but if for some reason I were to lose thousands of dollars worth of investment, not sure I would want to begin that process over again.

That being said, if we're just speaking hypothetically, I wish I had skipped out on the winador and drawers and a few baller boxes here and there and just saved my money for an aristo with temp control.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Not sure I would start over tbh. If for some reason I 'had' to, I think I would become a much more casual cigar smoker and only enjoy them occasionally. I love cigars, but if for some reason I were to lose thousands of dollars worth of investment, not sure I would want to begin that process over again.

That being said, if we're just speaking hypothetically, I wish I had skipped out on the winador and drawers and a few baller boxes here and there and just saved my money for an aristo with temp control.
Jon, I am right with you brother. But there was a sense of fun going through the newbie learning process...but I agree there were definitely a few boxes I regretted buying.

Building the wineador was a good time trying to track down a stupid Oust battery fan and getting things to fit just perfectly. The cabinet is great just set it and forget it, but I miss having to mess with things just to get it "right".

I would be pretty devastated if I lost all my cigars...not sure the insurance money would even really cover the emotional loss.