What's new

If you had to start all over again, what would you do?

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Jon, I am right with you brother. But there was a sense of fun going through the newbie learning process...but I agree there were definitely a few boxes I regretted buying.

Building the wineador was a good time trying to track down a stupid Oust battery fan and getting things to fit just perfectly. The cabinet is great just set it and forget it, but I miss having to mess with things just to get it "right".

I would be pretty devastated if I lost all my cigars...not sure the insurance money would even really cover the emotional loss.
Not really much of regret, just hindsight. Couple really expensive boxes I could totally live without if it meant having the Aristo I want.

As far as the insurance money goes, unless you have collector's insurance, you will never reap your full value.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Not really much of regret, just hindsight. Couple really expensive boxes I could totally live without if it meant having the Aristo I want.

As far as the insurance money goes, unless you have collector's insurance, you will never reap your full value.
I guess I shouldn't say regret your right, I ended up smoking them!

I doubt I would get it all back, but I do have an umbrella policy personal property insurance (and my cigars are listed to my insurance provider) so I would imagine I could recoup most of my cost. The humidor's as well.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I checked with my insurance company, even checked into having cigar replacement specifically written in, and found that my insurance covers replacement cost of cigars with everything else. Though I have my doubts about how well I'd really be able to get my sticks covered at replacement cost.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I checked with my insurance company, even checked into having cigar replacement specifically written in, and found that my insurance covers replacement cost of cigars with everything else. Though I have my doubts about how well I'd really be able to get my sticks covered at replacement cost.
Good luck! :)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Back when I had all the sticks I could want, I learned a lot thru trial and error. I quickly learned that not all humidors are well made, and that the fancier the humi, the more likely it is to have issues (IE, a glass topped, skeleton keyed desk humi). In the end, I kinda sorta cobbled together a wine-a-dor that worked fairly well, but it wasnt perfect.

Now that Im starting over, I want to *try* to setup something that will essentially be all I need for a while. I dont have a spare room/closet to turn into a walk-in, and apparently renting out the other half of the duplex to turn it into my own smoking lounge is out of the question. I see things on Craigslist, everything from 6ft tall 300ct wine coolers to second hand desktop boxes and everything in between

What would you do, if you had to start over? Doesnt have to be top of the line or new, but what would you look for (Peltier unit is a given if going that route) to store your sticks?
'A' for effort with renting it out lol. I like my small desktops, they were part of the journey and theyre gorgeous. They still get used. Also love my Aristocrat (MXT+ 26.5 48/74; "300 Box") but if I had to do it over again Id go half the size. Its about a little under 3/4 full w/roughly 2k sticks. I could probably get another 30-40 boxes in there. Thats way more than I personally need or want for aged sticks & I usually take a few months off from smoking each year.

Maybe think about how many youll want to smoke per year and go from there. When it comes to small desktops the old adage is "get more storage than you think youll need" and while I agree with that for 50ct humis I dont think its true for large cabinets. Youll want to keep them filled. 2c

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Back when I had all the sticks I could want, I learned a lot thru trial and error. I quickly learned that not all humidors are well made, and that the fancier the humi, the more likely it is to have issues (IE, a glass topped, skeleton keyed desk humi). In the end, I kinda sorta cobbled together a wine-a-dor that worked fairly well, but it wasnt perfect.

Now that Im starting over, I want to *try* to setup something that will essentially be all I need for a while. I dont have a spare room/closet to turn into a walk-in, and apparently renting out the other half of the duplex to turn it into my own smoking lounge is out of the question. I see things on Craigslist, everything from 6ft tall 300ct wine coolers to second hand desktop boxes and everything in between

What would you do, if you had to start over? Doesnt have to be top of the line or new, but what would you look for (Peltier unit is a given if going that route) to store your sticks?
If I were starting over, I would get either a Wineador straight off or barring that, a 75 QT Coleman cooler and line it with Spanish cedar.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If I was to do it over, I wouldn't buy as many cigars and keep a smaller collection. I only smoke 1-2 cigars a week and don't have a huge stash, maybe 400 or so. I would be satisfied with 150-200 to chose from heavy on upper Fuente and Warped.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My wife HATES the coolers. Complains about them all the time. They work great and have been so easy to take care of. Apparently she just bought a cabinet off some website (unfortunately not an aristocrat) and I'm a bit nervous about how it'll do with leaks and whatnot. I'll probably have to tweak it...

Long story short: I'd invest in a nice cabinet and be done with it.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would have skipped the beginner pack that contained a cheap cutter, lighter, desktop humidor, and 20+- cheap cheap cigars. I would also avoid the house brand cigars from some of the places I use to purchase from. Instead of the cheap desktop humidor I would go straight to a cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk