What's new

Ikea Humidor

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Has anyone ever built a humidor from anything from Ikea? I really need to do something different with my cigar storage and I'm thinking about going to Ikea today to see what I can come up with.

I'm either going to do that or find an old cabinet on Craigslist - I've seen a couple cabinet conversion here and it's definately in my skillset to be able to do it. But I've never seen anyone do it with an Ikea cabinet. Maybe there's a reason for that :)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm thinking about this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50245665/
or this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20282150/#/50213589

Addding some cedar lining and sealing the glass door portion with silicon at all joints and some weatherstriping at the doors.

Alternatively, there's this cheap cabinet on CL that I could do the samething with.

The CL find would certainly be cheaper, but more work. It's only $35 and is available right now.

Decisions decisions!

sending a PM @Lomey

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm thinking about this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50245665/
or this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20282150/#/50213589

Addding some cedar lining and sealing the glass door portion with silicon at all joints and some weatherstriping at the doors.

Alternatively, there's this cheap cabinet on CL that I could do the samething with.

The CL find would certainly be cheaper, but more work. It's only $35 and is available right now.

Decisions decisions!

sending a PM @Lomey
That CL cabinet would be sweet as a humi. And more storage for the long term. Go for it and use the extra savings to stock it! (y)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Going to ikea to take a look. I would have to refinish the cl cabinet and time is certainly at a premium. Although the price is attractive.

At red robbin right now, will let you guys know what I decide on :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Going to ikea to take a look. I would have to refinish the cl cabinet and time is certainly at a premium. Although the price is attractive.

Just get both!! Could always keep the CL one as a side project and work on it over time. Oh, and get the burger with the fried egg on top. I forgot the name of it. LOL.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0

Wish we had a red robbin here. Enjoy and good luck on your choice!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have the Hemnes bedroom furniture (two dressers and side tables). Its one of the few Ikea lines that is solid and has been solid for over 8 years now.
Use wood glue when assembling, it'll help keep things together longer. (y)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Half our house is full of ikea stuff so for better or worse, I have lots of experience with it. I stay away from the obvious cheep stuff and spend a couple extra bucks on solid wood things, generally.

Didn't like that cabinets here, yes, we're still here, for cigar cabinet purposes. But did find something else I'm going to use as a general tobacco item related storage for. Also got a new hemnes dresser for my son's room.

So still will need the Coolidor, but at least I'll be able to get my pipes stuff, snuff stuff, and most of my cigar stuff togeth and a little better organized.

Hopefully :)

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a cabinet s imiliar to that one. However I dont use it for a humidor. I keep my humidor in it and one on top. Also give me lots of room for accesories

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I saw the post by @mdwest , but the photos are gone unfortunately.

I also recalled this thread when I was researching this a couple months ago. This guy had some major talent and is what I was dreaming of when I saw this cheap craigslist cabinet.

But, we ended up with something that'll have to make do. It gives me a huge amount of dedicated tobacco storage space and a better spot to put my small humidors. I still have the problem of what to do with cigar box storage, so the larger cooler I just moved everything into will have to make do for now. I also have a cooler for my leaf for rolling cigars so two coolers that i need room for. I have a room in the back, but it's become a dumping ground, again, so I can't get into it right now. I'll eventually put the leaf in there. Just need to figure out a larger humidor one of these days. #cigarpeopleproblems

Anyway, here's a couple shots of what I ended up with today. It makes things much nicer down here in the TV room and makes my wife much happier.

Inside shot - I just dumped everything in here and still need to reorganize.

And a shot of my silly son, Troy. He got yet another stuffed dog at Ikea today. His first husky LOL. So far this kid has two large golden retrievers, one small golden retriever, one small brown/black/brown, and now this husky. Oh, he also has a moose. A small one. This is over the past 3 or 4 years of trips to Ikea LOL