What's new

I'm too old for this crap…

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I love the San Diego area... weather is about perfect, beaches galore, can dip into Mexico for something different, or an easy drive to LA, Santa Barbara etc. But housing is more expensive.

Texas is a good option if you can deal with hot temps for awhile. Dallas area still has super cheap housing... it's crazy the house you can get for the money. I haven't been to Houston since I was a little kid, so can't really comment. But, it is close to the ocean. But, also meaning more humidity and hurricane threats.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, when you're retired and don't have to get in it, snow is not a bother. Born in Miami, teen years to twenties in Knoxville, lived in Atlanta, Indianapolis and now Cincinnati. Everyplace has its plus and minus points but do post where you settle.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Come on down to Cincinnati @dscl. we avg 10" of snow here and this year I would be surprised if we got 3". City is growing and major airport is close. Last look this area ranked in the top 10 for cheapest housing in the nation. Along with cost of living is very cheap.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phoenix more specifically Scottsdale, Chandler / Gilbert area. I lived there for 5 years before transferring to Las Vegas and I loved it. Yeah it gets balls hot for 3 to 4 months but then it's smooth sailing for the other 8.

Houses are nice, low maintenance yards and lots to do. All major sports are there including NHRA and NASCAR. Fishing and water recreation is there too. Spring training for baseball if you're a fan. Barrett Jackson if you're a car guy and probably some of the best golf courses in the US, waste management open.

Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport is a core 30 airport and other than monsoon season you shouldn't have any issues getting in or out.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I prefer small town life. The hustle bustle of large cities just has little appeal to me. As far as housing, I doubt anywhere is much cheaper than in a small town. As an example, we bought a 3 br 2 bath 12 year old house for under $70k. Gasoline is usually amoung the cheapest in the country. Traffic is never bad, 10 minutes to anywhere in town (50,000 people).
We have an airport with limited daily flights to Dallas and St. Louis.
If a person likes hunting, fishing and shooting sports, this is a pretty good place to live.
I don't know how much snow we average, but it is very minimal. I don't think we had more than 1" this winter. It's not perfect here, but it looks pretty damn good when seeing what other places deal with.