What's new

Indirect Grilled Ribs - Tutorial

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So, I figured I would teach my son the art of the pit! He had been asking me for a while, so here we are. Told him I would give him full access to the spice rack, let him make a custom rub, and prep a rack of ribs. This morning we trimmed and rubbed a rack of St. Louis spares. Daddy did the knife work obviously, but he did the rest, including removing the membrane.

What I figure I would do, as I walk him step by step through the cook process, is show it to y'all just in case there are some who haven't tried indirect grilling or are otherwise unfamiliar with how it works. I don't have 6 hours to spare this weekend to fire up the offset smoker, which is my preferred method, so I'm going to show y'all how to make a damn good rack on a plain old charcoal grill in around 2 hours.

Anyway, here we go.

Interesting choice of combinations for the rub. :D I'm super curious how it turns out. He wanted more of a savory base than super sweet, so we just put a little of the sugar in there. Had him taste little pinches of rub until he got it where he wanted it.

Rubbed and ready for the grill later this afternoon.

Gonna go run some errands and will post again when we start the cook later.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an excellent job!!

We have to pass the torch so this kind of tradition dose not die.

I recently got my first cooker/smoker I started with a pellet grill (you got to start somewhere) I am now Youtube certified :LOL: I started with burgers meat loaf and then try tip.
I now have a packers biscuit sitting in the cooler waiting on the weather.

I wished I had someone to teach me when I was younger so good job @Texican

Edit: Im with your son I like my rubs more savory then sweet!!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Aaaand we're back. Start by putting a bank of unlit charcoal on one side of your grill.

Add some wood chunks of your choice. Boy requested hickory. We normally use oak and mesquite around here...but he's the boss today.

Light up some coals in a chimney starter or whatever you prefer. Then once they're rip roaring hot, put them on top of the unlit pile. You'll have hours of heat this way.

Give it a few minutes to even out. Grab a cold beverage.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OK, just put the rack on the grill. Put it on the side with no coals. We're gonna leave it on there for an hour, flipping and rotating every 15 minutes.

Every time you flip it, add a nice handful of wood chips if you have them. He wanted cherry wood. It smells so sweet and good.

Now, just close your lid and let the coals and wood go to work.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So how’d the experimental run turn out?
Old Bay is surprisingly good on pork! The cook technique is the same no matter what, so we got them nice and tender. But I was actually REALLY surprised at how good the Old Bay and the Clucker Dust turned out. I didn't want to burst his bubble and tell him to pick different rubs, so was kinda prepared for it to taste a bit odd...but this combo might be a keeper.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious how that Old Bay turned out. I use it on a lot of seafood, but now I’m going to have to give it a go on some meats!!!

Local State trooper does a lot of cooking videos across all social media, StaleKracker. He does a couple amazing eats....if you can make it through his videos. His humor is lost on some folks (like my wife).

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was curious how that Old Bay turned out. I use it on a lot of seafood, but now I’m going to have to give it a go on some meats!!!

Local State trooper does a lot of cooking videos across all social media, StaleKracker. He does a couple amazing eats....if you can make it through his videos. His humor is lost on some folks (like my wife).
It's worth trying for sure. I'll give his videos a look. If my wife is to be believed...my sense of humor is a bit off so maybe I'll appreciate them. :D