What's new

Input on a theory

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
So, i have a partial box of cigars I just received, and at least in the past, vendors were well known to store and ship cigars at a very high rh, thus necessitating waiting a month or more for them to drop to your preferred rh before being able to smoke one, so my thought was, to put a small well verified accurate, hygrometer in the closed, latched, box with the cigars, while they are in my big tupperdor and thus seeing roughly at least, what rh the cigars currently are.

Logically, it seems like this should work.

I tried it yesterday, and after sitting overnight, the hygrometer read 59% when I checked it this morning (the rh of my 74qt containers is 65%).

The box had spent 4 weeks in transit, and was not sealed in any way, and there was no humidification with it, so again, logic tells me that they would be on the drier side rather than wetter side, so the hygrometer reading seems to make sense.

Curious on opinions about this method of testing rh of newly received boxes.

Good idea that should work within a reasonable margin of error, or crackpot idea that would be pointless?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
HumidiMeter Cigar Humidity Tester/Meter/Gauge Accessory

41w0Q8kQIZL._AC_.jpg

About $30 on Amazon insert the probes in the foot and/or butt of the cigar

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

View attachment 168495

Yeah, I actually already have that exact one on my birthday present list for March.

Just curious about my method/logic in general, and for in the meantime until mid march..

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
How certain are you that the latched box is completely sealed? Seems to me that could be the most relevant issue in this experiment.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’ve done the same using the big Boveda bags and an accurate hygrometer, if I get a big shipment. If it’s just a few sticks I throw them in the humidor, in various spots. For ten or more, though, I usually do the bag thing.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Or an open partial box could be a combination of cigars with different humidity levels. Sealed, full boxes you should get a good idea because they are closed up long enough for the rh levels to stabilze through the cigars and box itself.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve done the same using the big Boveda bags and an accurate hygrometer, if I get a big shipment. If it’s just a few sticks I throw them in the humidor, in various spots. For ten or more, though, I usually do the bag thing.
What is the common measured rh you are getting with recent shipments?

Seems like vendors are storing and shipping at a lower rh than in the past based on my smoking rott

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or an open partial box could be a combination of cigars with different humidity levels. Sealed, full boxes you should get a good idea because they are closed up long enough for the rh levels to stabilze through the cigars and box itself.
It was a full box until right before I put the hygrometer in, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Its been a full, sealed box since may of 2021 according to the stamp.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

View attachment 168495

I have one of these, and it seems finicky. As soon as I plug it in the foot, I get a reading around 65%, but then about a second later the reading starts to drop, until it ends up in the mid-50’s. The reading in the mid 60s should be accurate, but the lower one can’t be right.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have one of these, and it seems finicky. As soon as I plug it in the foot, I get a reading around 65%, but then about a second later the reading starts to drop, until it ends up in the mid-50’s. The reading in the mid 60s should be accurate, but the lower one can’t be right.

Out of curiosity is it more stable when the probes are inserted through an uncut cap at the head of the cigar?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Out of curiosity is it more stable when the probes are inserted through an uncut cap at the head of the cigar?
I think the head will almost certainly be wetter. The foot can breathe. I guess if I was trying to get a smoke dryer out to smoke maybe clip it first. Let it breathe from both ends

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
About like a stick of firewood. It’s always wet under the bark. Wrapper doesn’t breathe as well as the clipped end would

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
About like a stick of firewood. It’s always wet under the bark. Wrapper doesn’t breathe as well as the clipped end would
Quite possibly and more then likely but I'm curious if the readings are steadier at the cap. If you insert the probes in the foot are you moving the tobacco enough to alter the rh around the probes and inside the cigar. I would think a reading at the cap would be more stable. You could then draw a correlation with steading readings at the cap and the "smokability" of a cigar

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Quite possibly and more then likely but I'm curious if the readings are steadier at the cap. If you insert the probes in the foot are you moving the tobacco enough to alter the rh around the probes and inside the cigar. I would think a reading at the cap would be more stable. You could then draw a correlation with steading readings at the cap and the "smokability" of a cigar
This was my thought too. I am moving the filler around, thereby changing the Rh inside the foot. Similar to sticking a probe in a chop before cooking. The probe itself can sometimes heat up during the cook, causing the meat where it’s directly located to heat up, a few degrees more than the meat around it. With your advice and that of others here, I’ll start checking the head too.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I've always let stuff rest after receiving (like you guys) and it always seemed to me that vendors ship high RH%. I allow a month to rest before smoking. I've never used a meter, but its because I don't see it as a very good indication of relative RH%. My logic (crazy incorrect or not as follows) putting a straw into a cup of water and closing one end. All liquid inside is trapped and unable to drip out (suction, science, etc.) obviously the tobacco is not a solid as plastic, but a high RH leaf is more resilient to retaining moisture than not. Much like people that light a cigar before cutting to minimize the charred smoke from seeping further into the cigar, resting for a period of time allows the moisture to even out over the entire stick. The meter is great for testing the RH% to a point but it always seemed (to me) as not a true indication of the RH% of the stick. JMHO

I haven't seen a huge difference in a drop of RH% that most vendors keep there stock at prior to shipping over the last few years, and I assume due to shipping delays across the board some vendors may have even increased to help bridge the gap (haven't seen it, but just guessing in some instances.)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have smoked many rott, and in more recent years have noticed very few with high rh related problems doing so.

That's what I was basing my belief that most vendors are storing and shipping at a lesser rh than in the past.

Have a Humidimeter on the way, so will be able to test cigars rh much more accurately

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I have smoked many rott, and in more recent years have noticed very few with high rh related problems doing so.

That's what I was basing my belief that most vendors are storing and shipping at a lesser rh than in the past.

Have a Humidimeter on the way, so will be able to test cigars rh much more accurately

I friggin' LOVE cigars
I have noticed that vendors are holding cigars for less time than years past. Many have switched to selling stock while in transit to them instead of receiving full shipment first. There may only be a day or two hold over (seems max for certain items). This combined with holding in customs and initial shipping from manufacturer may also be adding to a lower level on your end. Just a thought. :unsure:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have noticed that vendors are holding cigars for less time than years past. Many have switched to selling stock while in transit to them instead of receiving full shipment first. There may only be a day or two hold over (seems max for certain items). This combined with holding in customs and initial shipping from manufacturer may also be adding to a lower level on your end. Just a thought. :unsure:
Certainly possible. I have no idea.

Just recall that about 10 years ago, nearly everything I received was noticeably at a high rh when I received it

I friggin' LOVE cigars