What's new

Interesting reads

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good one! I'd like to see it written today. I wish I could give Yanko a solid sense of security. I admire him so.
You would admire his son also. Last year he was 'tending the store' at 12 years old. He was in charge. He brought me into the humidor and gave a tour. I selected my cigars and then requested a Cuban espresso from the coffee bar in the back. He made my espresso perfectly and as he went to take my payment he said..." you haven't yet paid for the cigars so I'll take out for both". I was impressed with his focus of the collecting for the goods. Many twelve year olds might have forgotten about the payment but not Yankos son. He had been taught well and he had adsorbed the information conveyed to him by his father Yanko. Very impressive.

Again, hands down, my favorite place to enjoy a cigar.

Tabanero.jpg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The issue of poorly-burning leaf has been a prominent one in all the cigar lit I've read through the years. The notion that all leaf burns well and poorly-burning leaf is always and only a question of rolling technique is not reflected in 200 years of tobacco literature. There have been studies, theories, proffered solutions (and powders) for tobacconists stuck with a poorly-burning batch which the unscrupulous dealer will not refund and so on back to at least the 1830s in documents available on books.google. Here is an example, an interesting read--for at least one of us--titled "Analysis of Tobacco Leaf" starting on page 439 of this pdf. I believe this dates to 1884:
http://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QacNf8dfz0YRTDROqP2rjBmUZTkqfv4K1kWIfauQ-ZY_DCE4xxNR8D5uhAR5e5KgpwKvGqwFU3Kb9I2LB-zCtmyfqd-t5OjbQPOeKeTtZVHGjyzbFc2F1Ydwsz40NL8hBFIkY_uODuEzZnbug90UChVnbmJlZl-UhnRsxg0SnvXPMyxFkGNRvH2hpnD53ZnZbLYgNQ9TNjQzeWRlKZF4_RXyWe8E6rtmmDwliS-RiGcaie_-xZrRtj5DCq16Vs3VcamxO0oU8CPBUjlKwExHtZFBjsmg7fwSimQQPjQL4mzLDGB3u-Y

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue of poorly-burning leaf has been a prominent one in all the cigar lit I've read through the years. The notion that all leaf burns well and poorly-burning leaf is always and only a question of rolling technique is not reflected in 200 years of tobacco literature. There have been studies, theories, proffered solutions (and powders) for tobacconists stuck with a poorly-burning batch which the unscrupulous dealer will not refund and so on back to at least the 1830s in documents available on books.google. Here is an example, an interesting read--for at least one of us--titled "Analysis of Tobacco Leaf" starting on page 439 of this pdf. I believe this dates to 1884:
http://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QacNf8dfz0YRTDROqP2rjBmUZTkqfv4K1kWIfauQ-ZY_DCE4xxNR8D5uhAR5e5KgpwKvGqwFU3Kb9I2LB-zCtmyfqd-t5OjbQPOeKeTtZVHGjyzbFc2F1Ydwsz40NL8hBFIkY_uODuEzZnbug90UChVnbmJlZl-UhnRsxg0SnvXPMyxFkGNRvH2hpnD53ZnZbLYgNQ9TNjQzeWRlKZF4_RXyWe8E6rtmmDwliS-RiGcaie_-xZrRtj5DCq16Vs3VcamxO0oU8CPBUjlKwExHtZFBjsmg7fwSimQQPjQL4mzLDGB3u-Y
I can't see this. Error... "Forbidden"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I live about an hour away.

Once grown, they export the tobacco to Nicaragua for fermentation and rolling.

"The 2015 crop of Florida Sun Grown tobacco is packed and inspected by the USDA and the Florida Department of Agriculture and ready for export to Nicaragua. Once the tobacco arrives at its final destination in Esteli, the tobacco will go through the slow fermentation process and several years later be blended and hand crafted into special cigars."

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very interesting. I live about an hour away.

Once grown, they export the tobacco to Nicaragua for fermentation and rolling.

"The 2015 crop of Florida Sun Grown tobacco is packed and inspected by the USDA and the Florida Department of Agriculture and ready for export to Nicaragua. Once the tobacco arrives at its final destination in Esteli, the tobacco will go through the slow fermentation process and several years later be blended and hand crafted into special cigars."
Yeah, I was interested until the part about exporting to Nicaragua.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was interested until the part about exporting to Nicaragua.
It appears the fermentation and rolling is a completely different side of the business. The labor costs involved would be considerably less in Nicaragua.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/the-formidable-factory-18247

For @Gdaddy and @smokepoleobsession :
"Q: Let's talk about fermentation. Does the tobacco you buy come already fermented, or do you ferment it yourself?
A: The Dominican tobacco that I buy from Universal, I ferment myself. From Plasencia, it comes fermented. It's more expensive to buy aged or fermented tobacco. You pay a premium. Fermented filler is about three times the price.
Q: When you buy unfermented Dominican tobacco, how long do you sit on it?
A: Lower primings, about one-and-a-half years. Higher-priming tobacco, about two to three years. But I try to keep two to three year's worth of inventory for my go-to tobaccos. I use those in every blend."
Good question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro