What's new

Invention idea: Hairbrained or genius.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Until you've built your idea, I guess you won't know if the changing flavors are due to a changing blend or the tar/smoke build up inside the cigar the way they are smoked now. Maybe the flavors are due to what part of the leaf is being smoked or changing blends, in which case your gizmo could work. If the flavor changes are a result of the smoke build up inside and concentrating those products to be re-burnt along the way, your gizmo would preclude that and wind up with a one dimensional smoking experience.
Thinking outside the box is how progress is made, let us know how it goes. We'll never know until you build it!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you've built your idea, I guess you won't know if the changing flavors are due to a changing blend or the tar/smoke build up inside the cigar the way they are smoked now. Maybe the flavors are due to what part of the leaf is being smoked or changing blends, in which case your gizmo could work. If the flavor changes are a result of the smoke build up inside and concentrating those products to be re-burnt along the way, your gizmo would preclude that and wind up with a one dimensional smoking experience.
Thinking outside the box is how progress is made, let us know how it goes. We'll never know until you build it!
Thanks. It'll be interesting to know that. Yes. More than likely it's composite of the two.

Something tells me I'll me sipping cigar smoke out of a water jug turned cigar hookah before this week is over. Cinnamon and nutmeg...with just a hint of BPA - for science.

I'ma do straight smoke first before trying to rig it through water as I have a feeling water-bonging will really mute the flavors too much.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
will it fit in your golf bag?
I find that people having this problem use a punch and /or smoke too fast.
also increased by frequent relights.
not a problem in my group of smokers......

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Sounds interesting. Looks cool.

I'd rather not nub a cigar but that's me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it fit in your golf bag?
I find that people having this problem use a punch and /or smoke too fast.
also increased by frequent relights.
not a problem in my group of smokers......
The handheld one I mentioned if it worked might fit but you'd get laughed at for using it.

I very rarely if ever see people at my smoke lounge nub their cigars. Nor do I see "experts" do it very often in their reviews. It's usually, "well this is getting too hot and charry so I'll put her down here" with inches to go.

But to each his own and more power to ya. :) Scratch you off the list of investors then?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Building a better mousetrap seems to be a process for just about anything...even cigars. Even if one were to find a way to make a cigar taste the same all the way down to the nub the money and work involved to do this would be counter productive....1. The cost would negate the process....we'd have to purchase the contraption ( as IceHog so eloquently pointed out ) then factor that into the overall cost of enjoyment. I like the idea of taking a flame and lighting the cigar up and enjoying and not make science project out of it. If one smokes a churchill sized cigar then leaving the last inch of crappy tobacco can just be tossed....cheaper to buy a longer cigar and dispose of the part that lost its taste than to retrofit something to keep the cigar smoking the same as the first part.
2. Reinventing the wheel is not just a slogan...sometimes what we have is just fine as it has been for the last few hundred years but if adding bells and whistles will actually benefit the overall item...who am I to fight positive technology? Otherwise we'd still be using chemically treated linens and animal intestines as condoms today.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks
I don't have a hookah, and haven't tried one before, but I am sure I will try at some point.
It looks and feels a little pretentious doing it but damn if that contraption isn't enjoyable to use once in a while. If you ever find yourself in a hookah bar - ask For Starbuzz Blueberry. It's crazy good IMO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a better mousetrap seems to be a process for just about anything...even cigars. Even if one were to find a way to make a cigar taste the same all the way down to the nub the money and work involved to do this would be counter productive....1. The cost would negate the process....we'd have to purchase the contraption ( as IceHog so eloquently pointed out ) then factor that into the overall cost of enjoyment. I like the idea of taking a flame and lighting the cigar up and enjoying and not make science project out of it. If one smokes a churchill sized cigar then leaving the last inch of crappy tobacco can just be tossed....cheaper to buy a longer cigar and dispose of the part that lost its taste than to retrofit something to keep the cigar smoking the same as the first part.
2. Reinventing the wheel is not just a slogan...sometimes what we have is just fine as it has been for the last few hundred years but if adding bells and whistles will actually benefit the overall item...who am I to fight positive technology? Otherwise we'd still be using chemically treated linens and animal intestines as condoms today.
Yah. I do see what you are saying Though I gotta ask. Counterproductive how? While I've admitted it would take a large company lots of money to develop and market such a thing, if it caught on (and that's the rub, always) it would make a profit (if it caught on) and be, well, worth it. Not only to the company but also to the end users, right?

Since it sounds like personal cost is a major factor for you accepting this theoretical device then you'd have to admit it would pay for itself over time as you could buy shorter vitolas and get the same smoking time since there's less waste. The more you use it the quicker it pays for itself. If in addition the whole cigar just tasted better and never charry, (which is to be determined. Will I be the first to ever to smoke a cigar backwards? Is this my 15 minutes of fame approaching?) wouldnt you be ahead there as well? Not only that, If you're a conifer embracer you'd be saving the planet by reducing the amount of longer nubs clogging up our landfills. I kid.

And yes, thank god for latex condoms over poop tube ala goat or whatever they were made of in the olden days.

So, put you down for two units then?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Icehog, there is not a man and very few women, in this world, I have any desire to do that to!!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yah. I do see what you are saying Though I gotta ask. Counterproductive how? While I've admitted it would take a large company lots of money to develop and market such a thing, if it caught on (and that's the rub, always) it would make a profit (if it caught on) and be, well, worth it. Not only to the company but also to the end users, right?

Since it sounds like personal cost is a major factor for you accepting this theoretical device then you'd have to admit it would pay for itself over time as you could buy shorter vitolas and get the same smoking time since there's less waste. The more you use it the quicker it pays for itself. If in addition the whole cigar just tasted better and never charry, (which is to be determined. Will I be the first to ever to smoke a cigar backwards? Is this my 15 minutes of fame approaching?) wouldnt you be ahead there as well? Not only that, If you're a conifer embracer you'd be saving the planet by reducing the amount of longer nubs clogging up our landfills. I kid.

And yes, thank god for latex condoms over poop tube ala goat or whatever they were made of in the olden days.

So, put you down for two units then?
If a company was so inclined to spend a ton of money on this ( that's a HUGE "if" ) then your point is well taken but it would have to be a company with a BIG name to give this process credibility. Not sure what type of prospectus report would sell this idea but I'd love to read it because I have that kind of time. Don't get me wrong here...I'm all for making our hobby the best it can be and people like Elon Musk buck the system all the time but he's got more money than I could count. What one person counts on as a "sure thing" another counts it as frivolous.....but yes...put me in for 2 units and contact me when you are ready to put a Focus Study on this contraption...er...science project.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The major issue with the idea is that much of the flavor comes from drawing that smoke through the cigar, where it picks up flavor from the oils on the leaves as it passes through. You want that smoke to be pulled through the cigar, otherwise it won't have the same concentration of flavor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up making one, I'd borrow it once so I could say I stuck my cigar in your sphincter.

I know, I'm going to Hell. :ROFLMAO:
The major issue with the idea is that much of the flavor comes from drawing that smoke through the cigar, where it picks up flavor from the oils on the leaves as it passes through. You want that smoke to be pulled through the cigar, otherwise it won't have the same concentration of flavor.
Interesting. Thanks for the input. I have never heard that before but it makes sense.

Another thought I had was what would happen to the flavor of the smoke as it meanders around in the hookah tank waiting to be taken in on the next draw. Would it get stale or otherwise degraded as it intermixes with oxygen in the tank, or would it develop into that rich creamy "room note" smell we detect when entering a room where someone is smoking - which to me always seems to smell better than anything I get when it's me doing the smoking. I know with hookah, you have to purge the vapor in the tank every so often or it gets stale. Since traditional hookah is clouds of flavored water molecules and not smoke particles, oxygen exposure may have a different effect.

I'm really interested in experimenting with this.

Thanks again for the input!