What's new

Is 65% too dry?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Boveda 320 69% in my humidor the other day, but it is only coming up to 65%. I typically like my humidity to be 68-69%. My question is, according to veterans is 65% too dry?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Takes time to come up.

Maybe 1% a week +/- , but in a big cooler that's a lot of mass to bring up.

Hygrometers are not dependably accurate and should be checked often.

Many people prefer 65%. I certainly do. A lot of cigars smoke much better at that rh.

Some maduros and others smoke better are 69. Some people believe cigars age better at 69

If you have air leakage and drier air outside, then that may be where it's balancing, but you really won't know till its all had time to adjust.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes time to come up.

Maybe 1% a week +/- , but in a big cooler that's a lot of mass to bring up.

Hygrometers are not dependably accurate and should be checked often.

Many people prefer 65%. I certainly do. A lot of cigars smoke much better at that rh.

Some maduros and others smoke better are 69. Some people believe cigars age better at 69

If you have air leakage and dryer air outside, then that may be where it's balancing, but you really won't know till its all had time to adjust.

Hope that helps!
Yeah I’ve only been using the Boveda since Thursday
Hopefully it comes up a couple %

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious to what people thought and preferred, I’ve always strived for 67-69 as my safe zone

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
If you've only had the boveda in there since Thursday, I'd expect your humidity to still come up closer to 69%, but personally, 65 is a great place to be. If you're NOT coming up closer to the 69% that the pack says, you may have a leak.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, it’s always great to learn new perspectives. I’ve always thought 65% is the lowest It’d be safe to go but it’s nice to know my cigars are ok. I just started smoking and collecting back in June, and I have spent a lot of money and right now have about 50 cigars in my humidor and I am loving all the new information I get

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks guys, it’s always great to learn new perspectives. I’ve always thought 65% is the lowest It’d be safe to go but it’s nice to know my cigars are ok. I just started smoking and collecting back in June, and I have spent a lot of money and right now have about 50 cigars in my humidor and I am loving all the new information I get
Dude, this is just the beginning

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RH levels depend on the material, construction, seals and time of year. I live in MN and we are heading into the extreme dry air season. I rum 69% Bovedas in the non-winter months (it holds at 65% to 67%) and 72% in the dry winter air. I put the 72% ones in my humidor at the end of September. At that time, RH was about 64%. I watch the humidity begin to fall in September I make the switch. I know that I have to get humidity elevated before the dry season. With the 72% packs in, I’m up to about 69% now. It has taken 6 to 7 weeks to get up to 69%. By late Jan or Feb the RH will drop back to about 65 to 67% or lower.

Once the RH stars going up in March or April, I will go down to 69% packs.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My cigars are mostly NC and I've found I prefer 65 as well. Completely anecdotal, but I'm usually content in the mid 60s and as it approaches 70+ cigars taste a little more harsh to me.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
59%-65% depending on the time of year. I don't worry too much frankly. I think wild frequent fluctuations would be cause for concern, but slowly creeping RH due to ambient RH,, etc would not be something I'd be concerned with. Cigars are more resilient than I think we typically give them credit for.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my humidor has seemed to stabilize at 63% with the 69% Boveda, I’m a little worried this is too low, should I bump it up to the 72 Boveda to get it above 65?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So my humidor has seemed to stabilize at 63% with the 69% Boveda, I’m a little worried this is too low, should I bump it up to the 72 Boveda to get it above 65?
How are they smoking? If it isn't broke don't fix it. Anything between 60 and the low 70s is generally considered acceptable. It all comes down to how they smoke. If bitter, poor burn with canoeing and tunneling you may be too high. If "hot", fast burn, cracking wrappers you may be too low. The big problem is dramatic swings.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not smoked one since it has been down to 63, but I’m pretty confident they will smoke well I’m just worried about them drying out long-term

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you're up north somewhere it'll start drying out in the winter and you'll be dealing with a low humidity environment. If you're using 69% and you think you have a problem I would double up on the 69%s or make sure they are properly charged.