What's new

Is 65% too dry?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Boveda 320 so I don’t think more should be necessary, I’m in Indiana btw

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m using the Boveda 320 so I don’t think more should be necessary, I’m in Indiana btw
What part of IN? I just picked up a whole home humidifier on Amazon for 140, working well so far, although when I told the girlfriend if we set it to 65 I can just leave my cigars out, she didnt find it near as funny as i did lol

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So my humidor has seemed to stabilize at 63% with the 69% Boveda, I’m a little worried this is too low, should I bump it up to the 72 Boveda to get it above 65?
Re-read this.

Takes time to come up.

Maybe 1% a week +/- , but in a big cooler that's a lot of mass to bring up.

Hygrometers are not dependably accurate and should be checked often.

Many people prefer 65%. I certainly do. A lot of cigars smoke much better at that rh.

Some maduros and others smoke better are 69. Some people believe cigars age better at 69

If you have air leakage and drier air outside, then that may be where it's balancing, but you really won't know till its all had time to adjust.

Hope that helps!
No, unless you're heating with a woodstove (creating extremely dry air) and your humi has a terrible leak, I would not switch to 72's

My wood humi leaks, and I heat with wood, and I still only use 65's. Just recharge them more often.

As they said. Go with how they're smoking. Give the boveda time to work.
65 is a good place to be.

And don't trust your hygrometer. Check it in a sealed container or bag with airspace with a small boveda.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, unless you're heating with a woodstove (creating extremely dry air) and your humi has a terrible leak, I would not switch to 72's

My wood humi leaks, and I heat with wood, and I still only use 65's. Just recharge them more often.

As they said. Go with how they're smoking. Give the boveda time to work.
65 is a good place to be.

And don't trust your hygrometer. Check it in a sealed container or bag with airspace with a small boveda.
Good Advice!

A word on wintertime humidity in the cold north - The ideal relative indoor humidity for health and comfort is about 40–50%. In the winter months, it may have to be lower than 40% RH to avoid condensation on the windows. The colder it gets in the winter, the lower the indoor RH needs to be in order to prevent window condensation.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I have had to go with a Boveda 75% 320 and wipe the inside down a couple times with wet cloth to get it to maintain 65%, I’m not sure if it’s just because of the drier Winter air or what
Winter air causes a problem, but unless you have huge leaks, I'd really be checking you hygros with a boveda. You're asking for trouble with 75%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to go with a Boveda 75% 320 and wipe the inside down a couple times with wet cloth to get it to maintain 65%, I’m not sure if it’s just because of the drier Winter air or what
I hate to tell you that wiping down the inside of the humidor only impacts the outside layer. If you have ever done any wood finishing you may recall that if any water gets on dry, if you lay over a stain, it will not take as well as the raw wood. Water impacts the cells of the wood and and makes it swell. When the wood dries it never the same again. When you wet the wood with water. All it does is release the humidity back into the air inside the box. What you notice is the RH reading will spike. The water doesn’t go into the wood, rather it goes into the air. Watch this video from Boveda.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after putting 3 boveda packs and watering the crystals every few days barely only 65 .... it just suddenly jumped to 72 overnight. So I think I overreacted and removed the crystals and 2 packs (which are swollen now) and left in a 69 pack.

Lesson for me - slow and easy instead of freaking out and getting out the sledgehammer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Some good advice in this thread. Dont overthink it. Bovedas are a no brainer. I have a 300 ct. Wineador, and use 20- 60 gram, 69% bovedas storing an average of 100- 150 smokes.
I use roughly 10 to 12 at a time in the wineador, and have the rest in a Tupperware with 2 shot glasses full of distilled water, recharging.
I end up changing them out every 45 days or so. This keeps the RH between 62 to 66% at 62-65 degrees. In hindsight, I wish I'd have gone with 65% bovedas.
I feel it'd be less maintenance on my part.
One thing I learned is that storing at 70% RH, and living in an arid climate with constant winds, my cigars would actually swell and "explode" while smoking on the golf course.
Lowering RH closer to 65% has all but eliminated this from happening, provided the cigars are truly acclimated to the wino. Dry boxing helps in this climate during wintertime where humidity regularly hits the teens.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ what’s dry boxing?

So mine was holding at 64% then I added 40 sticks and it dropped to 61%

I made sure the crystals are wet and added two more 69 Boveda packs. There’s four 69’s in there now. In 24h it’s at 60 so I taped the lid. It better start swinging up soon.

Any advise?

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Your Boveda looks puffy so you are not lacking moisture in the humidor. Give it time. What RH where your cigars held at before adding them to the humidor?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
^^ what’s dry boxing?

Dry boxing = when you take a cigar out of the humi/wino/cooler and put it in a "dry" box with less humidity for a couple days before smoking it. I don't do it, so someone else will have to tell you how effective it is

Last edited: