What's new

Is 89% Humidity OK?

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I I guess stroke needs to learn how to read... Toaster oven... Crap, fresh outta those... Guess I gotta age 'em the old fashioned way...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Question: given the average temp in Havana is 77f with much higher peaks in summer and the average relative humidity is 74+% that may exceed 80+% during rainy season, why should their cigars be stored in cooler/dryer conditions other than the threat of beetle hatching?

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Question: given the average temp in Havana is 77f with much higher peaks in summer and the average relative humidity is 74+% that may exceed 80+% during rainy season, why should their cigars be stored in cooler/dryer conditions other than the threat of beetle hatching?

Don't quote me or anything... but when you start dealing with that high of a humidity, mold becomes an issue. Also, consistency is key. You don't want a fluctuating temp or RH because this will cause the cigar to expand and contract which can lead to cracking. I don't think they store cigars our in the open in Cuba either... :dunno:

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Don't quote me or anything... but when you start dealing with that high of a humidity, mold becomes an issue. Also, consistency is key. You don't want a fluctuating temp or RH because this will cause the cigar to expand and contract which can lead to cracking. I don't think they store cigars our in the open in Cuba either... :dunno:
Yes, cracking is a risk when fluctuation occurs in temp and Rh. Also, high Rh and temp combined with poor air circulation greatly increases the risk of mold. Proper air circulation is tediously maintained in curing barns which greatly reduced the chance of mold growth, as opposed to a humi which has considerably less air circulation. Personally, I don't stress too much over temp as long as it is consistent. In addition to the risk of mold in a humi, Rh has a great impact on how the cigars smoke; 65% (IMHO) is key, more than that may cause it to burn too slow and unevenly and any less may cause it to burn too fast and too hot and, if too dry, will cause it to dry up, thus losing the essential oils that make our cigars so tasty! I have stored my cigars at 70% Rh and when I switched to 65% I noticed a very noticeable positive difference in the way my cigars smoked.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the heads-up bro's. High humidity and temperature are constant challenges where I live. Indoor ambient temperature and humidity are in the 70-80+ range depending on season. Not many cracked cigars (cc & nc) but some uneven burns that usually correct themselves. Mold did hit my one lgc nc stick so I air out my storage once a quarter to keep it at bay. I've also found little bug damage from the newer cc & nc releases. Just lucky I guess. Cheers!

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Thanks for the heads-up bro's. High humidity and temperature are constant challenges where I live. Indoor ambient temperature and humidity are in the 70-80+ range depending on season. Not many cracked cigars (cc & nc) but some uneven burns that usually correct themselves. Mold did hit my one lgc nc stick so I air out my storage once a quarter to keep it at bay. I've also found little bug damage from the newer cc & nc releases. Just lucky I guess. Cheers!
What do you have for storage? And humidification? My temps get up around 75 and I don't have any problems. When temps reach 100 here I can't afford to keep the house below 70, electric bill would be through the roof! Lol I hope to get an Avallo at some point. But as long as humidity and air circulation are maintained you should be fine. here is my setup, check it out. I have been extremely pleased with it! Rh stays around 64/65 and I keep it in a dark closet in the middle of my house so temp doesn't get too high.