What's new

Is it possible for Bovedas to be over charged?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I just realized that the reading from the bag was the same as from the empty lock&lock so atleast I know they are accurate in that sense. Unfortunately I dont have a fresh Boveda to try so next time I do I'll check again.
I think you still misunderstand. The boveda are pretty constant. (unless you left them sitting in with a bowl of water for weeks) It's showing you how much your hygros are off. Leave it overnight, if it's still reads the same, recalibrate, mentally adjust for the difference or get new hygros.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo so you think they didnt get over charged being in the tupador with 50+ possible high humidity sticks and are actually still giving off 65rh? The reason I figured they were over charged is the one reading 67 read 73 on a salt test and the one reading 71 read 77 on a salt test. I know the salt test cant be trusted but the numbers all kind of correlate to the bovedas probably giving off higher than 65rh.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
No. That's not how they work. Your hygros are showing you they're inaccurate just by the different numbers they're giving you. Trust the boveda, adjust the hygros.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll stop worrying so much now. I just hate smoking wet sticks and dont always have the time to dry box.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Buy a traveldor, put a 62 boveda in it and depending on how many cigars you smoke in a week or so move those cigars into the new "dry box" I don't see how you don't have time to dry box. I don't think anyone on the forum smokes cigars that haven't had at least a couple of weeks rest in a humidor

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Joe, if you want to simplify things, buy a few extra Bovedas and throw your hygrometer away. When your Bovedas need recharged, drop in a couple of fresh ones and recharge the old ones. You never have to worry about it again.
A few years ago on another forum a bunch of members decided to test the Rh of all new purchases for a month and post the results in a thread. Around 40 shipments were checked and posted. I think the lowest was 64rh and the highest was 71rh. The majority were around 67. The 71 was the only one in the 70's. This kinda dispelled the myth that all cigars are shipped wet.
Would be a good thread here on BOTL to see if things have changed and bring awareness to the members. Anyone?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The salt test for calibrating hygrometers is accurate. But it only tells you that your hygrometer reads correctly at 75% RH. The problem with the salt test is not that it is inaccurate, it just limited. In addition the electronics of a digital hygrometer can become compromised due to the corrosive nature of the test. Here is a link that you might find interesting.
http://cigaradvisor.blogspot.com/2008/09/another-look-at-salt-test-for.html

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a traveldor, put a 62 boveda in it and depending on how many cigars you smoke in a week or so move those cigars into the new "dry box" I don't see how you don't have time to dry box. I don't think anyone on the forum smokes cigars that haven't had at least a couple of weeks rest in a humidor
I do have a couple herfadors that I use to dry box some sticks for the week. Its just sometimes I dont take out enough or I decide by the time the weekend comes I want something thats still in the humi. I went with 65 bovedas to be able to smoke straight from the humi since I dont store sticks too long anyway. How ever I definitely notice that the cigars I dry box smoke better than the ones from the humi, which was why I thought my bovedas were over charged since I would have thought 65rh is good to go.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think you are going to find that thick, heavily fermented leaf like maduro and oscuro benefit a great deal from both age and dry boxing. 62 /65 not much difference, that's about the error in a hygrometer. Run your humidor the way you like your cigars. If you have burn problems or get weird ammonia and metallic tastes in a cigar there may be a problem that our advice can help you with. But do yourself a favor, if you like these full bodied, dark cigars try one after a month in the humidor and then give a couple of them a rest for 12 months and try them again. There's a reason so many of us have a lot of cigars in storage.