What's new

Is This Cigar Over Hyped Or Is It Me?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. I hope everyone had a good New Years. I have a question for the group. Over the weekend I has a Drew Estate Liga Privada 9 Robusto. I had purchased a couple based on glowing reviews from various review sites ( which I don’t put a lot of stock in) and a couple of groups I belong to whose membership is made up of regular everyday cigar enthusiasts (like the brethren here whose opinions I do have faith in). I didn’t find the stick to be all that. I didn’t get a lot of flavor complexity. I know I’m fairly new to this and my palate may not be that developed yet and I don’t want to bash this stick. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this cigar or do you think it’s just my lack of experience?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One of the things I consider when rating a cigar (to repurchase or not) is it's price. If it was a $4 cigar would you have enjoyed it more? I think that's the common thread about the Ligas, good but no longer worth their cost. The one's I've smoked I enjoyed immensely but probably not enough to pay full price.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I wouldn't say lack of experience, more a matter of personal preference. Tastes change frequently when you first get started, you might want to revisit it down the road, but it may just not be for you. Ive had sticks that others love and i put down halfway through in utter disappointment. Theres also sticks i love that get bashed around here frequently. Don't get too hung up if you dont like something that many others seem to.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You make a great point Boudie. It makes me wonder if I didn’t go into it “prejudiced” by it’s price as well as the hype expecting to be blown away. I am learning how subjective tastes can be Dran. As a chef I understand and can identify flavors but am just learning how to adapt that skillset to cigars. The research sure I’d fun though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh...they’re okay. Much of his stuff is over hyped. I find them well made at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh...they’re okay. Much of his stuff is over hyped. I find them well made at least.

I thought the construction was very good though the draw was just a bit tight. As luck would have it somehow a Perfect Draw found its way into my Christmas stocking.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, slightly off topic. When watching videos of these being riled, the rollers hands and fingers are stained brown. I’ve not seen this in other videos. Are they staining the wrappers?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Also, slightly off topic. When watching videos of these being riled, the rollers hands and fingers are stained brown. I’ve not seen this in other videos. Are they staining the wrappers?

Probably not. Naturally tobacco will have oils and "juices" that will stain the roller's hands.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
one conundrum in the cigar world is reciprocity.
the first batch of XYZ cigars rolls out , and they are very well accepted , talked about , prizes are awarded , so on.
then XYZ has to follow up with batch two. and three , and four.
the tobacco from batch one is gone, and XYZ has to try to duplicate the magic of batch one.
another pitfall is reading about XYZ cigar on a blog that depends on giving reviews to stay in business.
I have rarely seen a review blog smash a cigar , and the couple that have done so are not around anymore.
even Cigar Aficionado will give a cigar an 86 rating and then describe it as "Mushrooms and wet cardboard,with a hint of mildew "
other considerations include the RH of the cigar, too moist and it does not present well, how well it was rolled,and how long since it was rolled.
add in your particular daily food and drink habits , and what you smoked the days before , and you can hardly be surprised when an occasional cigar does not live up to its reputation.
I have read several times concerning Liga that the older releases were superior.
I have smoked a few various Liga cigars recently, and was not impressed.
noticeably milder and less complex than I remember them to be.

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
staining or dying is common.
do you really think they are producing perfectly even colors in wrapper leaf ?
open 10 boxes , and see 200 identical sticks ?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Nacho Daddy summed it up well; there are many factors that contribute to a great smoke. I've had more than a few experiences where longtime favorite cigars were plugged, burned horribly or just didn't provide the normal flavor profile. Just goes with the territory to get a dud once in awhile.

Also, you likely set yourself up with lofty expectations for the Liga by pre-reading those glowing reviews. As a newer smoker you would be better served by just sampling a wide variety of cigars and taking notes. You will soon have a short list of favorites. Then find someone more experienced with similar likes and get recommendations on new cigars to try. Cigar reviews are fun reading but they are a poor learning tool.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nacho Daddy summed it up well; there are many factors that contribute to a great smoke. I've had more than a few experiences where longtime favorite cigars were plugged, burned horribly or just didn't provide the normal flavor profile. Just goes with the territory to get a dud once in awhile.

Also, you likely set yourself up with lofty expectations for the Liga by pre-reading those glowing reviews. As a newer smoker you would be better served by just sampling a wide variety of cigars and taking notes. You will soon have a short list of favorites. Then find someone more experienced with similar likes and get recommendations on new cigars to try. Cigar reviews are fun reading but they are a poor learning tool.
I thought kind of the same thing myself. After reading all the reviews to say nothing of the price I may very well have gone into it already having my mind set to what I should expect.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Ever wonder why there is an obscene amount of smoke that pours off the foot of a Liga Privada? Ever wonder why Ligas lose their flavor after aging for a year? Ever wonder why Jonathon Drew himself said that these cigars aren't intended to be aged, but smoked now? Ever wonder why the rollers have stained black hands? Ever wonder why there are certain parts of their factory that you aren't allowed to tour? These come from the company that is famous for making artificially flavored cigars. Coincidence?

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Ever wonder why there is an obscene amount of smoke that pours off the foot of a Liga Privada? Ever wonder why Ligas lose their flavor after aging for a year? Ever wonder why Jonathon Drew himself said that these cigars aren't intended to be aged, but smoked now? Ever wonder why the rollers have stained black hands? Ever wonder why there are certain parts of their factory that you aren't allowed to tour? These come from the company that is famous for making artificially flavored cigars. Coincidence?
Man, that's entirely too much wondering for me....my head hurts now lol

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dude, it’s my day off, stop making me have to use my brain like that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all those things are happening with DE cigars, my only question is what could that substance or process you hint at be? Tobacco is adulterated with chemicals to enhance many of the attributes of cigarettes (volatility, flavor, taste, etc.). Is DE doing the same things?