What's new

Is this for real?

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Pinars are legit, but I was under the impression that they are not 100% cuban tobacco, and in fact may have very little at all. I believe most people described these cigars as tasting like piss. But I've never tried one myself.

TYLER

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My local b&m has the PINAR in stock. I bought a couple for $15/each. Didn't think they were anything great. And yes, they are legal. Any Cuban tobacco that was in the U.S. prior to the embargo was grandfathered in as legal. These were supposedly rolled from this tobacco. If you do a search on pre-embargo cuban tobacco, you will probably find the story. It's a bit convoluted.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The local place by me has them but they start at $18, I haven't heard of anyone to try them around me yet so I have not. To much money for me to spend on one cigar.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Pinars are legit, but I was under the impression that they are not 100% cuban tobacco, and in fact may have very little at all. I believe most people described these cigars as tasting like piss. But I've never tried one myself.

TYLER
As Pinar runs out of "legal" pre-embargo leaf, they started to blend and you can get a variety of blends. I bought two of the Pinar 3000 double coronas when in Boston in 2005 and enjoyed them so I bought a box when I got home. I dont know what I saw in them but havent found it in these current cigars.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Some are very legit, I bought some of the first in upstate NY they were brought in by the Armando Ramos factory. Some of them are 100% Cuban and some are Cuban wraper and other fillers. I had the 100% Cubans and the onse I had were very good but I have heard other people who did not like them.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
O.K., now I'm confused! The payless web site says "Pre-Embargo Cubans---100% Cuban Tobacco (filler, binder & wrapper) - 100% Product of Cuba. These cigars are rolled entirely of Cuban tobacco, certified by their seal as imported legally, prior to the establishment of restrictions on trade with the Republic of Cuba. The finished cigars have been re-imported and distributed with the full permission of the U.S. Dept. of Treasury: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms."

The Mike Salsbury site says: "CigarBid tells us that the Pinar 1958 Series B Pre-Embargo Cuban Rothschild is billed as one of the only sticks made with legal, authentic, pre-embargo Cuban tobacco. According to their site, it is made with 50% Dominican long filler and 50% Cuban long filler."

If they're talking about the same cigar, how can they still advertise 100% Cuban when its got 50% Dominican long filler?:wtf: :dunno:

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Apparently there are different Pinar lines, and the different lines have varying percentages of tobacco in them. I was unaware of this, as I had only ever heard of the mixed-filler ones.

TYLER

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Halon is correct. They are not the same cigar....they have the same mfg, I believe it is Puros Indios, which by the way is what the "PI" in PINAR stands for. Hope this helps a bit waterboy. If you do a search on this pre-embargo tobacco you will get the whole story. Again, it is a convoluted story.

Sam

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
How MUCH pre-embargo leaves can there still be... and in what kind of shape? I knew that this was legal... what I meant was can there still be any stock still out there and available?

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Pre-embargo 100% cuban cigars don't sell for $15-18 they are much higher' upwards of $5000 a box depending on the marca.They might be un-enjoyable when you get them, due to storage conditions. Watch the wording carefully in the ads usually the amount of cuban leaf in these cigars are minimal at best. With all that being said why would you pay 2-3 times what the real deal is going for?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor, don't do it. The pinars claim to be using pre-embargo Cuban tobacco. Here it is how many years past the embargo and they managed to find bales of properly stored Cuban tobacco? I don't think so. From what I understand, the sources of the tobacco cannot be confirmed, nor can the actual storage, etc.

Alan