What's new

ISO Experienced smokers and reviewers

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do these get released here? I've heard nothing but great things!
I'm waiting for packaging since it is outsourced and once it is ready we pack and let the cigars rest at least 30 days after packaged to ship them. We give them 30 days after packaging since the ageing room is always on a lower humidity and while they are being packaged they absorb humidity.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Dos77

I had a chance to light this up yesterday. So I figured I'd post my opinion on it today while I had some time before work.

It was a pretty good cigar, the first few puffs reminded me of burnt marshmallow. The draw was literally effortless but for the most part I would say the cigar for me was pretty consistent in flavor throughout.

That isn't always a bad thing if you enjoy the flavor, which I did. I got mostly a nice bread yeast and a dry peanut profile out of it. I did have some issues with it but that's okay. I had to correct the burn a couple different times which honestly I don't care about. I am a pipe guy so I realize some things take a little work.

I did however have an issue with the wrapper falling apart on me on the last third which I'm sure was just a fluke. So I didn't get to smoke it to the nub. All in all it was a solid smoke and I enjoyed it though, thanks for the opportunity to try it.

I will pick up a couple more because honestly IMO you need two or three to get a real feel for a cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got to enjoy it and the wrapper falling apart in the last third was definitely a fluke. Mind if I ask at what temperature and humidity did you store it and smoked it?

The habana wrapper will always burn a little jagged since it's not an Ecuador which are thinner wrapper leaves but tend to be less flavorful.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Glad you got to enjoy it and the wrapper falling apart in the last third was definitely a fluke. Mind if I ask at what temperature and humidity did you store it and smoked it?

The habana wrapper will always burn a little jagged since it's not an Ecuador which are thinner wrapper leaves but tend to be less flavorful.
My humidor is kept at 65% and temperature in the wineador is 70°F. The humidity outside was definitely high that night so it may have been that and it was around 85 degrees outside.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
For a review with pictures, I'll be adding this to the main cigar review thread shortly. Nice work @tocaco. Thank you for the opportunity, @apaniagua.

Date: The 8th day of September, the year 2015
Review: Chogüí Dos77 Rogusto
Size: 5 x 52 (Robusto)
MSRP: $7.00
Smoking Environment: I’m in the thick of it. I find it difficult to describe to serenity that settles in when the world is writhing around me as I feed my newborn daughter in the twilight hours of the night. The newfound juxtaposition of absolute-zero in sleep exhaustion and the perfect calm in awareness is a somewhat delightful place to be. As long as I have that half-crooked gassy smile and big bright eyes looking at me, I could honestly just float through every day…. But back to reality.
I am in a peaceful mood, finally MAKING the time to do a review or two. The weather here in Florida is oppressively humid, with some degree of precipitation every day for the last 3 weeks. I think I’ll be smoking indoors for this one. I make my way to my outdoor office, nicely air conditioned and dry, to spark this cigar and hopefully revel in the joy of finding a new brand to take a share of my loyalty.

Wrapper: Dominican (Havana-seed)
Binder: Criollo 98
Filler: “Habano 2020” and Corojo

Appearance/construction: Although not necessarily a seamless wrap, it is very clean and crisp construction and has no visible patches. Along with an intriguing but sensually styled band that catches the eye. The medium brown wrapper leaf is supple and inviting, topped with an unusually wide triple cap that looks solid. Evenly filled and consistent give and rebound over the length of the cigar.

Aroma Pre-Light:
The Dos77 hints at a deliciously complex profile with just a nostril of the cigar foot, delivering some light pepper, coffee, white chocolate, hay and natural tobacco and cedar.

Cold draw:
A scissor cut reveals a nicely packed cap, with no protruding veins. I take a deep first draw and am met with a mostly open flow of air, with only the slightest resistance that most of us consider a necessity. Dos77 cold draw is filled with natural tobacco, cedar, hay, and an indiscernible sweet sugar flavor.

Light:
Took some coaxing with the toast to find full cherry ember with the soft flame, but lights evenly.

First impression:
A bitterness on the front and top of the mouth that somehow translates to a very charred sweetness, almost like the toasted sugar crystals atop a perfectly executed crème brulee. If anything, the bitterness should make this an interesting smoke to say the least, but I hope it does not continue.

Aroma Post-Light: I am picking up a hoppy aroma and some hay in the smoke off the foot.

First Third: The bitterness fades after the first few puffs, opening up the palate to the fresh grain and sweet floral notes on the draw. The retro holds a distinct graham cracker, cinnamon and sugar sweetness. To be honest, it’s a bit difficult to tie that flavor back to something recognizable as it is through the nasal passage, but it’s definitely there in spades. The burn has started to skew a bit but I’m patiently awaiting a self-correction.

Moving in towards the second third the flavors begin transitioning and burn has corrected itself. A full transition is achieved around the 1.5-2 inch mark, so I’m going to go ahead and call it the second third.

Second Third: Honestly, I usually find that a taste profile drifts from one flavor to the next gracefully, interchanging individual flavors out until you have a mostly different profile. The Dos77 basically hit a brick wall and took a left turn. Intense flavors develop throughout the second third, with a woody back drop to roasted nuts and peat florals on the draw and a red pepper cedar blast through the retrohale. It is a totally dissimilar profile compared to the first third, yet just as delicious for someone who regularly seeks these flavors in their favorite blends. There is a level of dissatisfaction with the consistency of the profile, but a serious bow of respect to the complexity of the blend and the transition most certainly keeps me interested in the cigar. This is definitely not a boring smoke.

Final Third:As I begin the last third I need to slide the band back toward the cap a bit, the burn accelerating by a fraction. Justly, the burn has been mostly even since the self-correction in the first third, and a less than moderate pace. So, the acceleration isn’t necessarily unwelcome and I am indifferent so long as the heat doesn’t intensify. As if on cue, the flavor profile changes again, but not to something new. Rather, it is now a delicate arrangement of the cedar and roasted nuts from the second third and a revisit of the sweet grains of the first third, overlaid with an increase in smoke production. The smoke has also changed, now creamy and delicious.

As I enter the “nub” I inevitable must remove the band… probably the most nerve-racking part for me and these chubby bear fingers. I am certain to be batting .500 at destroying the remaining wrapper leaf… good stat in baseball… not so great in cigar smoking. Thankfully, I get a hit and am able to remove it safely, allowing me to nub this smoke to my fingertips. The flavor intensity as a whole has died down to a dull roar. All the flavors from the last third are still present, but under the veil of rising heat as I near the end of this smoke.

Overall Impression/Final Notes: This was a good smoke. It really threw me for a loop on the flavor profile transitions. Overall, the construction spoke for itself and the transitions spot on. This cigar unfortunately doesn’t speak to a specific audience, blending that goes all the way across the spectrum of flavor. I, for one, love it. Others that have a more specific taste, may not. If you’re looking for a cigar that reaches deep into warehouse for a flavor profile that I can only compare to going on the adventure of a lifetime. It starts you out at “home-sweet-home,” then throws you to fend for yourself in the wild, only to return home with remnants of your adventure and memories that will stick with you until the end before slowly fading to darkness. Fear the fu*king bird, I tell you.

Smoke time: 1hr55m
Scoring:

Appearance and Presentation: 18/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 12/15
Construction Properties: 27/30
Taste Properties: 34/35

Total:
91/100 Box-worthy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha that is an awesome review! It definitely starts with a floral touch and transitions in every third. I love that every time I'm smoking it, I have to look down and pay attention to the transitions and complexity. We tend to keep complexity as a characteristic when blending. Not your average dominican cigar ;) Thank you @Stogie_Bear for such a detailed review. I'll be posting soon with availability for the US. Currently ironing out the details for distribution.