What's new

ISOM Trip Report

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I could've added a lot more but know I already made my trip report something to fall asleep to! LOL But I realized my story was short on cigar specifics. It is kinda fitting though as I really didn't go to Cuba for the cigars. I have plenty of cigars at home so that was not a motivator for me to travel to Cuba. I really wanted to see the country, the people and take in the sights/culture. With that said, I had a great time visiting all the LCDH shops. It was kind of hard sometimes seeing the group I was with go crazy shopping for boxes of cigars and finding some aged gems, cabs of discontinued cigars etc that they could freely take home with them. My only goal for getting cigars were customs and farm rolls, while keeping my eye open for some LGC Tainos. Luckily I struck gold and did find some Tainos which I couldn't resist buying. Some of the cigars that were found in our group were H.Upmann 520's, Club Habana 10th Anniversario, cabs of Punch SS's, LGC's and other aged goodies. I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but there were gems to be found in the shops.

It was interesting to see how all the LCDH shops are different and how their humidors are set up. The shops closer to Old Town are frequented more by regular tourists and cigar enthusiasts so they tend to not have as much older stock. Seemed like the further out of town you got, the better the selection. But that is not always the case.

When I visited Nicaragua, I smoked the most cigars per day in my life. Cuba was much different because I wasn't on guided tours the entire time getting free cigars to choose from. Being in Cuba was much more relaxed and while I smoked a lot of cigars, it seemed like I enjoyed them much more as I could venture from shop to restaurant to hotel viranda to hotel rooftop etc. Each destination was something new and exciting with views to die for and every cigar there was a special occasion. :)

I have been lucky enough to visit both Nicaragua and Cuba and both trips were great, different, but great. A trip to Nicaragua is much easier to attain for Americans and I highly recommend going if you can. It is a much different experience though as a Nicaragua trip is generally all about cigars and factories, with some obvious hang out time with your group. But Cuba is much more... it's culture and seeing a city/country stuck in the 50's all the while being able to enjoy the cigar aspect of touring factories etc. There is a lot more to do in Havana as it is a large city. If you do go to Nicaragua, I also recommend spending some extra time traveling the country... you went that far, why not travel?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Love the write up thankyou!

I want to go back so much :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when it bloody works properly

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Incredible report Ryan! Thank you very much for sharing your adventure with us. I would love to go to Cuba one day, it would be like a blast in the past seeing all the classic cars drive around. I never got to experience those decades, it would change my life getting to see it in person.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Can't tell you how long I've waited to read this from you. What a trip it would be. One day I'll go. Maybe with a former Nica group traveler who's visting Cuba for the second time!?!?
Thanks for posting Ryan!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Felt like I was right there with you, Ryan, superb write up. Sounds amazing, and only makes me want to go there more.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Great experiences, Cuba is a fantastic place. So much more to see than the cigar world. I've been to several Caribbean islands & the Cubans are the most welcoming people I've met. Next trip, get out in the countyside & if you have the time, I highly recommend visiting Cienfuegos, Trinidad & Santiago de Cuba.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Next trip, get out in the countyside & if you have the time, I highly recommend visiting Cienfuegos, Trinidad & Santiago de Cuba.
You got that right brother, can't wait to visit Trinidad and Santiago among other places! I tried to convince my wife to go and do a family trip, but she won't do it... :(

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Awesome stuff Ryan. Thank you for taking the time to write this up - I wish I could have gone too! Hopefully I'll get there in the next couple years...

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I really can't ever see me goin to Cuba, but damn, how sweet it would be.

Thanks for the write up, I feel like I've been there just reading it.