What's new

Jar info -- Updated with Trip Report

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Wife and I are heading to Varadero next week and I've always wanted to get my hands on a jar or two of cigars, but I admittedly know very little about what's available. Are they something that's regularly produced and/or normally in stock in the LCDH's in Havana or Varadero? Are the cigars anything different or special, or do they just do normal vitolas in the jars?

Thanks all :)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Don't think any jars would be available except maybe the Upmann Noellas (but haven't heard of anyone picking them lately) or maybe the San Cristobal Torreon. The cigars are unique as in they are different vitolas than what is normally produced. Some of the jars are pretty nice too and you can always use them for storage of other cigars once you smoke them all. The San Cristobal actually has a removable ashtray on top of the jar... some people don't like this jar because of that, but I like the jar.

Totally up to you if you find any... is the value of the jar worth it to you? That's the question. The Upmann jar is much cheaper than the San Cristobal but I'm not sure about pricing in Cuba.

I think I told you before, but if I were you, I would be loading your quota up on custom cigars. Cheap and you can only get them in Cuba.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Ryan is right. Load up on the farmies and customs. Much more important, the Noellas jar is easy to come by, but not sure how easy there. Most of the time, they import them,

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Will the "farmies and customs" you mention be sold in the LCDH's there?

I'd love to get down towards PdR to see some of the plantations and farms but not sure it's going to happen as we're travelling with two other couples.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
No the farmies will not be sold at the LCDH, but are usually near the factories. But the customs should be available there, you need to try and get to where the factories are if you are that close. Make an adventure our of it.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yes Brent, every LCDH in Havana has shop rollers where you can pick up custom cigars. Since you'll have the ladies with, you guys should head out to the LCDH at Club Habana. It's the farthest away from Old Town, but it's where you can get the best custom cigars IMO, the "monsdales" and other vitolas with that tobacco from Jorge. With the ladies, it can be a destination as the LCDH is actually in an awesome mansion style building that used to be a hotel. There is a restaurant on site, a pool and beach to lay around and/or go swimming. Not sure what it is now, but when I was there they would charge 10 cucs if people simply wanted to visit for the day. But normally if you tell the guard that you are just going to the cigar shop, they should just let you in. We stayed there awhile and had lunch without paying anything to visit. If you're looking on a map of Havana, follow the city coast along 5th Avenida and it's a little bit before you get to Hemingway Marina.

If you really want to get a selection, on the way out there you can stop at Hotel Melia Habana and get cigars from Yolanda. She is well known for her cigars. Right next to that is the Hotel Comodor. Santos was the roller there but recently retired. I can't remember the roller there now, maybe Alex? I have heard good things about his cigars. Also on 5th Avenida is the LCDH 5ta y 16 where Carlos Robaina runs the shop... Alejandro's son.

If you don't want to chase around for cigars since the ladies will be with, you should visit the Hotel Conde de Villanueva. It's in the heart of Old Town and it's where you can get Reynaldo cigars. Many people love these cigars and the hotel is an old historic/quaint building where the ladies can sit around having coffee/drinks while you guys shop and smoke. There is plenty of shopping or walking to do around this hotel as well so you could get an hour and half to smoke freely while the ladies walk around.

And last but not least, the Hotel Nacional is also a destination spot if you've never been. The shop isn't the best LCDH in town, but you can grab some cigars/customs and sit out on the veranda listening to music and smoking a cigar while looking out to the ocean.

Farmies are a different animal. You won't be getting those in Havana unless you want cheap/crap cigars from street hustlers or you come across a nice connection before going. When most BOTLs mention farmies, they mean from the main farms like Robaina, Prieto etc. Those are the farmies you want, not the cheap crap you can get on the streets where you have no clue where they came from.

Have fun my man!

Last edited:

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
BOOM. There was the exact 411 I was in need of. Thanks for taking the time to type that up Ryan.

When it comes to custom rolls, what's the big draw with them? More care go in to them than the normal production stuff? Different vitolas? Better tobacco? Also, what sort of prices will I be looking at?

<3 you guys lol

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I will add, if you are walking around the Capitol building, don't forget to visit the Partagas Factory just behind the Capitol. The factory is closed for renovations, but the LCDH shop is open for business. This is where Hamlet was last working and La China was the house roller. I honestly don't know if anyone is rolling there right now but the factory is worth a visit if you are close!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
When it comes to custom rolls, what's the big draw with them? More care go in to them than the normal production stuff? Different vitolas? Better tobacco? Also, what sort of prices will I be looking at?
Well for one, you can only get them in Cuba and they are cheap... talking $3.25 - $5 for a lot of them, then maybe $6-$8 for the big dogs. You can get a really good Robusto or Corona Gorda from one of the best rollers in Cuba for less than $4, and it's good tobacco. It's good to buy these while in Cuba because they're really good cigars, and it's the only place you can get them. You can't simply order online or in a LCDH around the world, for the most part.

Most of the rollers are getting premium tobacco because they are doing rolls for tourists/buyers at the LCDH shops. Some of the more famous rollers get better tobacco because they know the people better and have more say. Plus it's pretty cool to walk into a shop and see the roller making cigars that you can take home to smoke... adds more to your trip IMO.

But I was thinking this morning, since you have terrible taxes in Canada, it would make sense for you to buy regular cigars in the shop too. Look to buy an EL since they are much cheaper in Cuba, etc. Either way, you can't go wrong... BUY, BUY, BUY! lol :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get ahold of Arron (Gibbleguts) if possible. He has taken home MANY bundles in one trip with out taxes on a few trips. I think it's a crap shoot but like Ryan said LOAD UP!!!!
Don't forget the wife's allowances as well!(mule!!!)

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Get ahold of Arron (Gibbleguts) if possible. He has taken home MANY bundles in one trip with out taxes on a few trips. I think it's a crap shoot but like Ryan said LOAD UP!!!!
Don't forget the wife's allowances as well!(mule!!!)
And the other couples can be mules too. Lol., just have a great time brother. And since you are from Canada, your limits are probably higher than our $100 worth.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks for asking because I just learned a boat load from this thread!

I will just add about jars. The LCDH I've been to usually have some jars lying around but they're typically expensive. I saw some old cohiba and partagas jars in st maarten but the prices were 1900 euros+ iirc.

Brandon sent me an hup noellas which was phenomenal btw :)

Have a fun trip. Dream trip for me and most usa cigar guys im assuming

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Yes Brent, every LCDH in Havana has shop rollers where you can pick up custom cigars. Since you'll have the ladies with, you guys should head out to the LCDH at Club Habana. It's the farthest away from Old Town, but it's where you can get the best custom cigars IMO, the "monsdales" and other vitolas with that tobacco from Jorge. With the ladies, it can be a destination as the LCDH is actually in an awesome mansion style building that used to be a hotel. There is a restaurant on site, a pool and beach to lay around and/or go swimming. Not sure what it is now, but when I was there they would charge 10 cucs if people simply wanted to visit for the day. But normally if you tell the guard that you are just going to the cigar shop, they should just let you in. We stayed there awhile and had lunch without paying anything to visit. If you're looking on a map of Havana, follow the city coast along 5th Avenida and it's a little bit before you get to Hemingway Marina.

If you really want to get a selection, on the way out there you can stop at Hotel Melia Habana and get cigars from Yolanda. She is well known for her cigars. Right next to that is the Hotel Comodor. Santos was the roller there but recently retired. I can't remember the roller there now, maybe Alex? I have heard good things about his cigars. Also on 5th Avenida is the LCDH 5ta y 16 where Carlos Robaina runs the shop... Alejandro's son.

If you don't want to chase around for cigars since the ladies will be with, you should visit the Hotel Conde de Villanueva. It's in the heart of Old Town and it's where you can get Reynaldo cigars. Many people love these cigars and the hotel is an old historic/quaint building where the ladies can sit around having coffee/drinks while you guys shop and smoke. There is plenty of shopping or walking to do around this hotel as well so you could get an hour and half to smoke freely while the ladies walk around.

And last but not least, the Hotel Nacional is also a destination spot if you've never been. The shop isn't the best LCDH in town, but you can grab some cigars/customs and sit out on the veranda listening to music and smoking a cigar while looking out to the ocean.

Farmies are a different animal. You won't be getting those in Havana unless you want cheap/crap cigars from street hustlers or you come across a nice connection before going. When most BOTLs mention farmies, they mean from the main farms like Robaina, Prieto etc. Those are the farmies you want, not the cheap crap you can get on the streets where you have no clue where they came from.

Have fun my man!
What do you even know about ccs?

Smiley face.

Great info there. Maybe I should make a trip down.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks for asking because I just learned a boat load from this thread!

I will just add about jars. The LCDH I've been to usually have some jars lying around but they're typically expensive. I saw some old cohiba and partagas jars in st maarten but the prices were 1900 euros+ iirc.

Brandon sent me an hup noellas which was phenomenal btw :)

Have a fun trip. Dream trip for me and most usa cigar guys im assuming
http://cigartourism.com/Cigar_Tourism/CUBA.html

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
No one in here knows anything. We all KNOW that so called "Cuban" cigars are rolled with Dominican tobacco! Fact!