What's new

Jar info -- Updated with Trip Report

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Trip update post! Sorry it's taken me a couple weeks but wanted to pop in and say a huge Thank You to Ryan for posting the detailed information about the rollers. We did end up taking a trip to Havana on one of the days with an amazing tour guide - Yosel from I love Cuba tours, highly recommended. He asked when he picked us up what types of things we wanted to see and I showed him Ryan's post. He was able to plan for two stops on our tour.

While we were on a walking tour in Old Havana, we hit Hotel Conde de Villanueva where we met Reynaldo. He was just hanging out in the shop with a couple other guys, not actively rolling, but he was very gracious. Yosel our guide was an english professor at the university in Havana so was able to easily translate for us which was an added bonus. Initially when Yosel told him we were there looking for custom rolls, he took me over to a large humidor and opened it up, I was excited...until he started pulling drawers to show me they were empty...He got to the top drawer and finally there were some cigars. Sorta. There were about 10-12 super robustos that look to be 60rg or so. Not my favorite size but grabbed a few nonetheless. As we were walking to the cash, disappointed, Reynaldo asks what my favorite size of cigar is, so I answered Corona Gorda. He disappears in to a back room, and low and behold comes back with a full bundle of CG's, plus an extra. Score! He lit up the extra one meticulously using a couple cedar strips and handed it to me so I got to continue the rest of my tour of Havana puffing on a great cigar, prepared for me by one of the finest rollers in the world...Not bad...

The next stop as far as cigars goes was the LCDH at Club Havana. We didn't have a lot of time so weren't able to stay and see the facilities there but it was a beautiful property and great shop. Jorge is the roller there, but according to Yosel's translation, had called in sick that day due to a sore shoulder. There was another gentleman there filling in for him but I can't recall his name. He was gracious enough however to take me in to their private walkin and allow me to select from some Jorge's they had stored within. I was able to get a 50ct bundle of monsdales as well as a 25ct of BHK56 clones. I haven't smoked either as yet though but they look and smell immaculate.

The only other customs we came across were at the shop on the main strip in Varadero. I didn't get the name of the roller there, as he was kinda grumpy and standoffish, but did manage to at least grab a 25ct bundle of robustos that he had in his table. He also gave me an extra and lit it up for me and it was excellent.

I also grabbed a few regular production boxes since, as Ryan mentioned, prices for cigars here are just insane and I had bought all the customs I could get my grubby mitts on and still had some allotment left. Picked up Monte 4's, Boli PC's, Robaina Famosos, PSD4 and PSE2 boxes. The PSD4's actually had some mold on one of the sticks which was disappointing (can see it in the pic I'll post on the far left) and the quality of them was pretty disappointing, but everything else looked to be ok. I've put them through the freezing process as well and now they're going down for a significant nap.

Anyway, I'll post some more pics as able but here's the cigar stuff anyway...lol Again, thanks so much for all the information guys.

IMG_20150414_162215.jpg IMG_20150414_162914.jpg IMG_20150414_163706.jpg IMG_20150414_164120.jpg IMG_20150414_164531 (1).jpg IMG_20150414_165149.jpg IMG_20150414_165216.jpg IMG_20150414_165857.jpg IMG_20150414_171312.jpg

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I enjoy the MC 4 very much...have a feeling that you will to. Dark oily wrappers, excellent flavors of cocoa initially, gives way to pepper. Construction was top notch!

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
As a consequence of this somehow, I've become almost paranoid about storing these sticks properly. I grabbed a 20-cube of 62% bovedas and some glass jars. Packed the custom rolls in the glass jars and then put a boveda in each box and sealed them in ziplock freezer bags. Then everything went in to the wineador. I've never been this nitty before with storage but since I'm hoping to leave these alone for at least a year or more, just don't want any unpleasant surprises when I'm ready to break in to them lol.

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'd love to visit Cuba and plan on doing so one day whether the embargo is lifted or not. Sounds like you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Enjoy those cigars!!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Sweet, thanks for the update and pics Brent! Glad it worked out to hit up a couple LCDH's and get some customs. :) So, cigar related or not, what was the highlight of your trip to Havana? I know Varadero is all about the beaches and lounging, but I just love the culture of Havana and hearing people's experiences.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The best part of the trip to Havana was our tour guide. I can't even stress enough how good he was. We hired him privately for just our group of 6, and he took us on an incredible walkabout of the city. Most interestingly to me, we walked through a number of the 'back' neighborhoods that were just completely run down and appeared to have been abandoned in the 1950's --- except that people were still living in the buildings. ANY of these places in North America would be condemned in 2 seconds, but despite the abhorrent living conditions, the residents all offered smiles and we never once felt threatened or were besieged by beggars whatsoever.

He also walked us through a little 'farmer's market' of sorts, but clearly one where the locals would do their shopping. The produce all looked like it had seen better days (months ago even...) and the random meats they were selling were just sitting out - no refrigeration whatsoever. As with the housing, if ANY of those food vendors were in our part of the world, the Health Unit would shut them down instantly and fine them so heavily they would never be able to open again. It really was incredibly eye-opening and gave us a true perspective of how the 'average' Cuban citizen lived.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Nice. I think your tour guide is one of two I read about on travel forums when I went a couple years ago... glad he was good. Yeah, it's crazy to walk around the residential area of Centro. I did too, just walked around all by myself going block to block just taking it all in. Very crazy, but very cool to see first-hand. That's why I'm torn about the embargo lifting as I want the best for the Cuban people, but I also don't want Havana/Cuba to become so westernized losing the allure of Cuba.

Last edited:

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Just from my experiences and the people we spoke to, I think the lifting of the embargo will go a LONG way to improving the day to day life of the average citizen. For example, Yosel our tour guide was as I mentioned a University English Professor. The driver he used for us that day was a practicing Attorney. The two of them take leave from their jobs to do tours as they make substantially more money. That is insane to me. For some perspective as well, the tour we arranged cost us $35 CUC per person ($210 total). We were picked up at our hotel at 830am and returned at 6pm. I'm not sure what % they split between themselves, but for a lawyer and a professor to be making ~$120/day doing tours instead of their actual professions is sad to me.