What's new

Jibaro by Tatuaje

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
indy, any burn problems?
No burn problems at all. In fact, they burn pretty good.

I talked to Pete about these some time ago and what his story is that these were not really were intended to be a fantastic cigar, just a really good one. They were $4-5 cigars and that's about it. I think a lot of people get confused about this cigar though...it has absolutely nothing to do with Pepin. It's a blend that he worked on with Tobacalera Tropical.

The Jibaro does smoke a little on the 1 dimensional side, but dry boxing one helps out a lot.

On a final note: Pete didn't really say why it was discontinued but he said that there was an issue with overall consistency that he wasn't happy with.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Ok.. After smoking 5 others after my bad experience, these cigars are good. Put some age on them and they well even be better. I bump them to an 8. Good flavor, no problems with the burn. Still a little hot down on the end in last 1/4 but I can deal with that no problem. No other problems noted. Will definitely smoke more of these.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Well most everyone knows I love Tatuaje cigars. Had one of these last night. Pre light had an odor of spice. Nice feel and good wrapper. Slight veins, good oils present. Shaggy end was actually a nice touch.

It lit very easily with a nice draw. It had a nice flavor and continued to have a good draw until the middle, where it had a change. Hints of rosemary, pepper came through. Ash burned a little off and uneven. Did not burn in a true cone at all. Final 1/3, the taste got chemical. Bad after taste, poor draw and had to keep relighting it. Hot to the touch. To note, this is the third one I have had and the same results.

Overall rating was average. hard for me to say, since this is a Tatuaje, but I have to be honest. Probably rate this a 4/5 out of 10. This one was 4 months old. I have a few more and will try them with more age and see if they get better.

Respectfully

Bill
I pulled a #1 (robusto) out of the humidor the other day to let it shed a little moisture before I smoked it today to see if it compared to Bill's review. I know it's not a straight-forward head to head review but I did want to point out how smoking some cigars at a lower rH changes the cigar...almost making it a completely different cigar.

first light - Pretty tame and I think that has to do more with it having a shaggy foot, it helps difuse the shock of the flame a redistribute the cherry a little more evenly.

1st, 2nd & 3rd were pretty much all the same...it's a 1 dimensional cigar that delivers a lot of smoke and there are undertones of spices - paprika kind of comes to mind...but mostly it's a doughy tobacco taste that lingers. It's a nice aftertaste. I didn't taste any of the metallic aftertaste that I usually pick up with some of the medium tier cigars either...so that's a definate plus!

Construction is spot on, oily very slight veins, firm but not rock hard. The thing draws like a charm. Razor sharp burn with a evenly distributed cherry; as flat as Johnny Unitas' hair.

I never had any problems with this staying lit either. Having it dry out a bit helps out with combustion but it also makes the ligero more predominate too. (My lips are tingling from the nicotine!)

This isn't a hot cigar and it has lasted the better part of an hour. I know a few of you guys have some of these coming and (Especially you Bill..) try setting one outside of the humidor for a day or so before you smoke it. It's going to give you a buzz...but it will smoke a lot better.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Thanks Rob. Had no problems from the ones I got from my friend's shop. They smoked great. Now, I letting the ones that I had before age some. Moved them to another humidor and did some rearranging in the others. I will definitely try letting this one sit out for a day before smoking it.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
OK, i added a few of these to the collection today. I'm guessing since they quite produciton on these in 2006 that these are at elast 2 years old by now.

Anyone have any comments on how long i should let them age before burning them? Obviously i'll let them settle for about 3 weeks before i even begin to think about smoking one, but are they smoking well now or will another year or 2 help them out?

I've not had any of the jibaros yet, but i've read that they are like the white label tats, but wiht long filler. ANy truth to that?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had one last week on the golf course and had a horrible experience. The draw was about as tight as any I've ever had and I finally threw it away because I couldn't keep it lit. Definitely uncharacteristic of a Tat so I will try another some day...

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
A tat, jibaro none-the-less, on a golf course is almost sacrilege. Tats deserve your undivided attention. :stickbeat

just kidding.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
The Jibaros are smoking as good right now as they will probably ever smoke. I believe they're designed after a farm-rolled Cohiba or something, but I haven't heard the story in a year or two and can't really remember.
Before you get to the wrapper, when it's just the filler you're smoking, the Jibaros have this awesome buttery taste. I can't really pinpoint what other cigars might have it. The closest would be a royal jamaica park lane, but that's more of an oily taste. The filler actually tastes buttery on the Jibaros, but that quickly goes away when you get to the wrapper.

And back to the aging thing -- these are modeled after farm-rolled cigars, which are meant to be smoked fresh and full of flavor. I can't see the Jibaros picking up many redeeming qualities with age, so I would smoke them now!
That being said, save a couple for later if you want. They are a cool part of Tatuaje that not many people got to see!

TYLE

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
okee dokee. again...smoke'em if ya got 'em.

I'll let these settle down after their long journey to my humi, and then it's go time baby!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Smoked another #2 yesterday and it was pretty good. It stayed lit the whole time I was playing guitar hero. I'm not at all sad that I smoked these up...I have 3 left and glad they went the way they did.

If you guys are sitting on them waiting for some special day, make today special and smoke it.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I`ve never smoked one, but I`ve had a couple resting for a while. I think one might catch fire today.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I smoked one Thursday night anfter this discussion. I am enjoying these and I do have 12 left.