What's new

Johnny-O's -- Bottom line, worth buying or not?

Toaster

Aging Daily
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read some reviews, but they are extremely mixed... and they're very few that are in the middle of the spectrum, either they LOVE 'EM or HATE 'EM. What's the bottom line, are the Johnny-O's worth buying or what?

EDIT: Let me ask this: If you DO like the Johnny-O's, can you explain what you like about them, or what you feel they are closest to that you might smoke on a regular basis...? ie: I smoked a Johnny-O #### and it smokes most like a #### which I really enjoy.

Last edited:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
with what you've just said, how can you expect a definitive answer??? really, it's all a matter of taste, just like any cigar. i've bought hundreds of them over the years. some have been stellar, some i've pitched. you are getting, for the most part, a farm rolled stick that you are not paying a premium price for. when they're fresh, they can have a sharp twang to them that many of us like, but some don't. after some aging, they can become a very good mellow stick that some love, but some don't .
dont' think you can expect more of an explanation than that.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Some are great, some need to be tossed. For me, not because of taste but because of the fact that some were plugged beyond repair.

They're inexpensive, tasty, and people enjoy them as gifts..

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Smoked couple of them for the first time few months ago and loved it. For the price I think they are great sticks. I am going to let them sleep for at least 6 months before trying another.

Toaster

Aging Daily
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let me rephrase my question slightly... To those who do like them, what would you compare them too? ie: they closest remind me of . . .

Toaster

Aging Daily
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with what you've just said, how can you expect a definitive answer??? really, it's all a matter of taste, just like any cigar. i've bought hundreds of them over the years. some have been stellar, some i've pitched. you are getting, for the most part, a farm rolled stick that you are not paying a premium price for. when they're fresh, they can have a sharp twang to them that many of us like, but some don't. after some aging, they can become a very good mellow stick that some love, but some don't .
dont' think you can expect more of an explanation than that.
Your absolutely right... I should have asked the question a little differently...

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
+1 on what Bob said.

Also, Johnny told me to smoke them in the first 3 months or after 1 year...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I think part of the reason for the confusion, and someone with more experience can correct me, is that you are asking a question that is almost impossible to answer. Someone shut me up here if I'm wrong, but aren't you dealing with a varied production with the Johny-O sticks? In other words, these are "farm/custom" rolled sticks and what you get will vary with what tobacco is available. This isn't a mass manufactured product that is going to be consistent and always rolled to taste the same.

*disclaimer* If you haven't already figured it out, I'm no expert on Johnny-O smokes, but the above is what I would ASSuME.

Toaster

Aging Daily
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude in this response either............ But that's what these forums are all about... conversation about cigars.

The varying quality, taste, and essentially blends of tobacco vary from year to year, batch to batch even on the mass produce cigars from all regions. Certain original release cigars are fantastic, then a year later they're terrible. And I understand that.

After nearly 15 years of smoking cigars, I understand what you guys are explaining.........

I guess I shouldn't have asked the question... seems like its easier to get in a flame war on forums now a days than get some opinions....

SORRY EVERYONE.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I don't think anyone is flaming ya brother, just trying to explain something that's tough to answer because the product does change so much. :)

I would try to answer your question on what to compare them to, but I've only had a couple and I think they were in their sick period so I can't really say.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Not trying to be rude in this response either............ But that's what these forums are all about... conversation about cigars.

The varying quality, taste, and essentially blends of tobacco vary from year to year, batch to batch even on the mass produce cigars from all regions. Certain original release cigars are fantastic, then a year later they're terrible. And I understand that.

After nearly 15 years of smoking cigars, I understand what you guys are explaining.........

I guess I shouldn't have asked the question... seems like its easier to get in a flame war on forums now a days than get some opinions....

SORRY EVERYONE.
no need to be sorry. just didn't want you to take my response the wrong way.
i'm not sure how to compare these either. don't think you'll find many nc's that are less than 30-60 days from being rolled, so that's another reason that its tough.
here's an EASY solution. pm me your addy. i just got some in this week and i'll send you a fiver and you see what YOU think! deal?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Johnny O's are the closest thing to the majority of us will ever get to walking up to a rollers table in downtown Havana.

They are exactly what they appear to be - a cigar.

It's up to the smoker to decide if they are good or not but his sales and reputation should tell you something about the product.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0

SORRY EVERYONE.
No need to be sorry for anything, and no flames intended. We are just doing what you mentioned earlier, discussing cigars.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I wasn't trying to talk about the typical variance you might see in tobacco used to roll say a PSD4 from year to year (just an example), I meant to express that the difference in tobacco from batch to batch of Johny-O's could vary MUCH more when it comes to blend and therefor flavor.

In fact, I believe he has also made it clear that he procures from at least a couple of different rollers.

Sent from my personal space using my iPhone

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Some are great, some need to be tossed. For me, not because of taste but because of the fact that some were plugged beyond repair.

They're inexpensive, tasty, and people enjoy them as gifts..
yep. best cigars i smoked,,, last year. have had a few plugged this year.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Johnny O's are the closest thing to the majority of us will ever get to walking up to a rollers table in downtown Havana.
.......x2

They remind me of Johnny-O's. Really can't compare them to product X. Great fresh, then sick for a year or so and then smoke even better with time....imho. Sometimes 5'rs come up on Wades site.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I just smoked a 09' JO Sally that Bob gifted me in 09! It was really good to be honest. But I think it was just as cool that I've had it over 2 years and were still both on here!