What's new

Knife Sets

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Looking to upgrade my "drawer o' knives" as seen here
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427081183.051772.jpg

I have looked at the sets with a block that are in $50 range but they seem cheap, dull, not balanced and not what I am looking for. I worked in a restaurant years ago, so I know how expensive good knives can be.

I'm a single guy and don't do a ton of cooking to justify some super high end chef set. Thinking more along the lines of something around the $150 mark. It doesn't have to be a big knife set, just something maybe 8 various pieces of much higher quality than what I've been using. Considering that I rent, a knife block to store them on the counter would be best.

Any suggestions of a good knife set around that price that would work for me?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have a few "nice" for home knives Craig. Some very expensive, some just expensive and the $23 Victorinox I got from Amazon has kept a sharper edge and is clearly cheaper than the other ones i have. I don't know if they have a set though.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
You don't actually need that many. A good paring knife, 10" or 12" chef's knife, a 10" serrated knife, and a boning knife are all you really need.

You can spend a shit ton of money on Henckle or Wusthoff but most of my friends who are working chefs all swear by Dexter-Russel in their kitchens. Get the rubber soft grip.

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
You don't actually need that many. A good paring knife, 10" or 12" chef's knife, a 10" serrated knife, and a boning knife are all you really need.

You can spend a shit ton of money on Henckle or Wusthoff but most of my friends who are working chefs all sweat by DexterRussel in their kitchens. Get the rubber soft grip.
you just made me buy a bread knife.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I found a block set of Chicago Cutlery on Amazon for real cheap. Granted they aren't J.A. Henckels but they are pretty good and have served me well for the amount of cooking I do.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-18-Piece-Insignia-Sharpener/dp/B0016P3708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427082014&sr=8-1&keywords=chicago+cutlery
Reviews look pretty good on that one too. That's pretty much what I was thinking as far as pieces, I actually don't have steak knives either.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Reviews look pretty good on that one too. That's pretty much what I was thinking as far as pieces, I actually don't have steak knives either.
The steak knives are frigging awesome. Sharp as shit. The chefs knife and Santuko got a lot of mileage on them. I've had these for the last three years and I'm still happy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the kitchen quite a bit. If I were to only have one knife in the kitchen, it would be a 6 or 7" Chef's knife. The 7 is an odd size, but it works for me. I would rather the 6" than the 8. I have a drawer full of knives, but that's the one I reach for.

I would make sure to have a stone or two to make sure it's always sharp. I really enjoy the edges I get off of Arkansas stones - which is good as they are cheap :).

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Also, check out the meat/seafood counter at higher end grocery stores in your area. It's not widely advertised, but the Lunds/Byerlys in MN have their on-site professional butchers do free knife sharpening for customers. We try to rotate ours through regularly. I'd love to learn knife sharpening, but this gets the job done until I have time for another hobby () and makes a world of difference!

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Also, check out the meat/seafood counter at higher end grocery stores in your area. It's not widely advertised, but the Lunds/Byerlys in MN have their on-site professional butchers do free knife sharpening for customers. We try to rotate ours through regularly. I'd love to learn knife sharpening, but this gets the job done until I have time for another hobby () and makes a world of difference!
Get your self a Work Sharp. Best sharpener for those that want a fast learning curve. I plan to get rid of all of my stones and my paper wheels and only use the Work Sharp. Decent prices on Amazon.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
http://www.hsn.com/products/wolfgang-puck-8pc-forged-stainless-steel-cutlery-set/7414561?sz=5&sf=QC0127&ac=&cm_mmc=Shopping Engine-_-PLA-_-Kitchen and Food-_-7414562&channel=Froogle&mr:referralID=6346908f-d21d-11e4-82f7-001b2166c2c0

My wife loves these.... you can pick them up at costco on sale a couple of times a year for about $45.. normal retail is about $60...

Not the best kitchen cutlery I have ever used.. but for the money, I have to admit, they are the best I have ever seen/used in that price range.. good enough that I cant convince my wife to let me spend more on a nice set of Henkels that I've been wanting to buy for the past 7 years (we've had the WP's for 7 years at this point.. and theyre still going strong..)...

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I'm biased since I sold it when I was young, but I've also had the homemaker set since then and wouldn't use anything else.

Cutco is the best out there. Can't beat a true lifetime and sharpening warranty. More of an investment than a purchase :)

Definitely higher than your price point but wouldn't ever have to buy again

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Ended up with the Calphalon knives. Went and looked at a few sets and I just liked the price, quality, look and feel in my hand. I actually stopped by JC Penney and they had then listed at $380(inflated msrp) and on sale for $199, which was as cheap as I saw online for them. Couple that with a 25% off coupon I had the came to $158 after tax. Feel like I got a good deal plus I have been satisfied with the Calphalon pots and pans I have. Thanks for the recommendations fellas!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427235669.269910.jpg