What's new

Knife Sets

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Ok, used a few knives tonight and it solidified my purchase in my mind. But here is where my OCD kicks in.... They know damn well my ass will buy 2 more matching knives to fill those 2 empty slots... LOL
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427243688.811405.jpg

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Just some knife care for everyone. I have had my Henckels now for almost 10 years. I cook at least once a day at my house. Sometimes up to 3x a day so they get used very often. I've never sharpened them or needed to and I believe this information below that I was given is why it has not been a necessity.
(Courtesy of Edgecraft)

"6. A sharpening steel resharpens a knife.

The traditional sharpening steel does not sharpen; it maintains the edge by unfolding it. This straightened edge is still weak and quickly folds again. Eventually, the edge breaks off or folds so tightly that it can't be straightened with a steel and must be reshaped. Using a steel requires significant skill and practice. To be effective at all, the steel must be used after every 10 to 50 cuts, before the edge folds over too much to straighten. True sharpening removes the old weak edge and reshapes a new stronger edge.
That honing steel is worth it's weight in gold......
But if not used in time its worthless.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
We got the same set as a wedding present (six years ago). Still works great.
Used the rewards points I earned buying the set I basically got 3 other knives for free. A 6-1/2" sandwich knife, another 6" utility knife and a 3 1/2" pairing knife.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430709762.900737.jpg

I was sharpening the 6" utility and got careless drying it off when I dug it in my finger. I know better because I worked in a kitchen for several years and know the proper way to sharpen/clean knives.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Used the rewards points I earned buying the set I basically got 3 other knives for free. A 6-1/2" sandwich knife, another 6" utility knife and a 3 1/2" pairing knife.
View attachment 63226

I was sharpening the 6" utility and got careless drying it off when I dug it in my finger. I know better because I worked in a kitchen for several years and know the proper way to sharpen/clean knives.
I flayed my thumb on the bread knife doing the same thing. I felt like the biggest boner ever... I knew better, too.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
View attachment 63226

What the heck is a sandwich knife? Y'all don't use regular knives to cut a sandwich?

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Do yourself a favour and get yourself one of these to keep them sharp as ever..
Made by Global and the best sharpener I've ever owned. Put water in it up to the clear bit, then 7 swipes on each disc and they are razor!! Cost me around $50AU so around $39US. Really easy to get the angle right too unlike other disc models.
image.jpg

Reactions: ENV

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have been getting rid of most all of my other sharpening equipment sine I bought my Work-Sharp. I still have my big tri-stone ( About 18" long) and my paper wheels but use the Work-Sharp 99% of the time. Just too darn quick and easy to touch up the blades.