What's new

Known Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Thanks, I did not mean to sound stupid, but I don't really give thought to the brands origin. I see "cohibas" in the B&M's here, but then I hear that Cohiba's are cc's. So I am confused I guess.
No, no, no.....you're not stupid....it *IS* confusing!

The manufacturers are actively trying to confuse you because people associate "great cigars" with "Cuba" so they do everything they can to make it seem like their cigars are Cuban-esque, or have Cuban-sounding names, or even stranger, are the *EXACT* same name/label as Cuban cigars.

It's not you, believe me.

It's them.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I agree, Thanks for the bump. I know this is such a simple question for most of the vets here, but I really do not know if a cigar is a cuban or not. I just go into the B&M and grab singles that I like, I do not usually purchase from online retailers. Does anything that says "habano" mean that it is of cuban origin? Thanks!
....the same thing goes for cigars like Pinars, preembargo cigars. Strictly marketing......IMHO.

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Thanks, I did not mean to sound stupid, but I don't really give thought to the brands origin. I see "cohibas" in the B&M's here, but then I hear that Cohiba's are cc's. So I am confused I guess.
Well its hard to explain to a 13 year old about "grown up" issues LOL

it is confusing sometimes and feel free to ask questions anytime!

I got to pick on ya a lil bit

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
If you take cigars with you, then it's no trouble taking them back. Simply because you'll have your otterbox or whatever you carried them in. That being said, if they're of cuban origin, then take the bands off and put the bands someplace else or throw the bands away and just remember what the cigars were.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a friend who may or may not be bringing a sealed box of RE Habanos in. These guys have the double bands plus a foil sheath. It'd be a pain to de-band. and all that. Do customs X-ray all baggage on re-entry?
Yes. They do.

Open discussion of how to bypass US Law and Customs is not condoned by BOTL and is not the smartest move period on an open forum. This thread was created to let people understand the risk they may be taking.

Please take such enquiries to PM.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Question: If you buy from an overseas company that sells Cubans but also sells other things (Fuente for example, or humidors), how do they prove you bought Cuban cigars? Credit cards show an amount, but they dont have a receipt.

Is this a way to get around things if you receive a "letter"?

Excuse me if this has already been discussed.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Anyone have any issues recently? As of about 6 months ago it looked like things were trending in the direction of more relaxed.

Jacob

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Read on other forums about increased seizure notices within the last 6 months. Also, with the new swiss rules enforcing accurate descriptions of contents, it may become more common..

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Read on other forums about increased seizure notices within the last 6 months. Also, with the new swiss rules enforcing accurate descriptions of contents, it may become more common..
I am not so sure. I work with customs quite a bit as an ancillary requirement of my job. One acquaintance says that the postal service does not have the manpower or desire to worry about contraband. Seizures are typically collateral damage from DEA work and occasionally random screenings by the USPS and other agencies. Since seizures are factored into all pricing for guaranteed providers, you would see regular price increases to reflect losses if seizures were increasing or and consistently reached a higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.