What's new

Known Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
As a newb, thank you for the post. I must also say that as a newb, I've been in awe at the apparent lack of concern of the said law breaking. But I must say, I'm one of the first to throttle up past the posted speed limit.

Again, Thanks for the info.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
gentlemen...I never meant to cause such a ruckus with my question...Shawn, you are right, I am indeed a teacher, an non-tenured one (for the next four months anyway) at that. That being said, I am aware of a glaring character flaw I exhibit on a regular basis, that is putting too much pressure on myself and my success, sometimes, like this scenario, to the point of paranoia.

Your are right, I undoubtly have nothing to worry about, hence I won't and won't lose sleep over the issue, unless of course I find a letter in my mailbox which would advice me to do otherwise. I do appreciate your honest and frank response, as well as your offer to lend a hand if the situation were to ever arise for me. Nice to know the fine brothers of this community are willing to lend a hand and support even the greenest of CC newbies.

Todd- Your post definately did go a long way to educate me about the inherent risks I;ve considered taking with some of my actions. I was aware that purchasing CC's is illegal, but like Chuck mentioned, I had always thought of it like speeding...just kind of assumed everyone did it. Now that I have full consideration and appreciation of the possible consequences, I am able to make a more informed decision when faced with the option and consideration.

Thanks again to all the brothers who contributed to my concern, and I apologize again for kicking up such a shit storm. I was simply curious and probably a little over concerned and paranoid.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Mentioning that certain "vendors are hot" brings up an interesting question: how does the government KNOW if someone orders something, and what that order may or may not contain?

It is strictly by credit card records? Or maybe shipping records? Surely the vendors themselves--who are out of US jurisdiction--would never provide any purchasing information.

(Mods: I don't think I've crossed any lines with this discussion, but please edit/delete if necessary)

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I'm not sure why this was brought up to be honest with you. I would assume you are a teacher. I dont know very many schools that would fire you over CC contraband. Touching children yea that gets you fired...smoking a nice cigar doesnt. I come from a long line of preachers, teachers and coal miners and I'm well versed in the enforcement. Your job is safe. If you get a letter contact me and I'll lead you in the right direction. I am also in a job of very public light. This letter doesn't concern me one bit and again I'm not sure why it was brought up here. To stir things up? Create more drama? I have a response letter that I have written under the advice of my attorney father if needed. He also thinks this is a governemental experience pile o junk. The letter the goverment sends is fluff. If you respond with your consititutional rights not to self incriminate they have nothing. It's over and they are done.
I have cleared this by multiple attorneys. Sleep well. If you want to know which vendors are hot PM me. But dont get caught up in the nonsense.
I don't believe these were Todd's intentions, though he'll have to answer that one. From what I read, however, I found this thread to be directed towards newer members of our community about a topic that has been buzzing with unfocused innuendo for the past 6 months, and to provide a comprehensive tally of exactly what we know to be the thrust of the latest government interventions towards persons who may be involved in the purchase of Cuban cigars.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't believe these were Todd's intentions, though he'll have to answer that one. From what I read, however, I found this thread to be directed towards newer members of our community about a topic that has been buzzing with unfocused innuendo for the past 6 months, and to provide a comprehensive tally of exactly what we know to be the thrust of the latest government interventions towards persons who may be involved in the purchase of Cuban cigars.
\

True and this brought out in the open alot of knowledge meant for other places. It would be be good to get a heads up before a post like this.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
\

True and this brought out in the open alot of knowledge meant for other places. It would be be good to get a heads up before a post like this.
Whether I agree with this or not, it cannot be disputed that a well informed BOTL is a more prudent one. And the responsibility of those with salient information is one of disclosure, in my opinion.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I'm done here. Read the law. Know the possibilities. Make your own informed decisions. Everything else is simply speculation.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's your opinion that the new letter is rubbish, and you may be right, but I think it's a little early to dismiss this latest round of letters.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
anybody wanna help a newbie? Please post (or pm me privately if you are more comfortable) with any advice on how to avoid as much of this mess as possible. Just want to cut my exposure as any wise person would. Thanks!

Moderators and fellow BOTL members- If I have crossed any line with this post, my humble apologies. Edit it to bring it inline.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Good post Todd. As in everything we do, it is important to be aware of the consequences of our actions and take responsibility for our choices. And it is the responsibility of those who see complacency to call attention to it. Thanks for making clear to everyone who has read this thread that there are definitely consequences involved with the &#8220;darkside&#8221; of our passion for cigars and what those consequences are.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
God Damn, Did I learn alot in this thread........Thanks u ALL for the Info.

BradMc

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It is sad.

One day all this will change I hope.

It is important to be aware of the full risks/rewards of a situation to make an educated decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.